Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and got engaged yesterday.

Oddly, we are being inundated by friends and family (all female), asking for details about dates, places, themes etc.

A friend of my fiancee is an artist and came up with a cool idea for how to do our wedding invitations.  She knows I'm a bit of a scribbler (and wants to do a kids book with me at some stage).  She suggested I write a small story of a few pages which she would then illustrate, print, bind etc, and the last page of the story would be the wedding invitation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL, oddly?  ;D

Congrats to your balls, er, bravery to take that step! I find your idea wonderful, so please do - and don't forget to post a picture once the invitations are out. I'd really love to see how this turns out  :D

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Congratulations! I think the "story invitation" sounds like great fun to receive, but just thinking about having to write the story sort of stresses me out.  ;)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hey, contragts, man! So, did you end up popping the question in a writerly way, or did you go with the humdrum run-of-the-mill thing? Hmm?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats and very unique idea...

My only concern would be for John Smith who lives out of town that your mom insisted a wedding invite go to ... he isn't aware of the engagement ... he has no kids and doesn't want to read through a kid's book ... so he throws it on a shelf and walks away.  <--- There. There is your worst case scenario. Sorry, my older sister made me look at the other side of things all my life (for a "what if" moment) so they always run through my head :)

G

·
vrabinec said:
Hey, contragts, man! So, did you end up popping the question in a writerly way, or did you go with the humdrum run-of-the-mill thing? Hmm?
I suppose we need to wait for his fiancee to post the review on Amazon? ;D

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
S.L. Baum said:
Congrats and very unique idea...

My only concern would be for John Smith who lives out of town that your mom insisted a wedding invite go to ... he isn't aware of the engagement ... he has no kids and doesn't want to read through a kid's book ... so he throws it on a shelf and walks away. <--- There. There is your worst case scenario. Sorry, my older sister made me look at the other side of things all my life (for a "what if" moment) so they always run through my head :)
You're not the only one. This was my immediate reaction, as well.

ETA: I am the older sister in my family! Muhahahahahaha!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I saw an article about a guy who put together a comic book with he and his bride as the characters and the invitation was at the end. It was AMAZING!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I suppose we need to wait for his fiancee to post the review on Amazon? ;D
I give it 4 stars. It was a fun ride, and the ending was a surprise, but the proposer's use of "limpid pools" seemed cliche, and the pace was a little slow. I just felt like the conclusion should have come quicker. I don't recommend this to anyone, because if she tries, I'll pistol-whip her until she looks like hamburger. Hands off, bitches, he's mine.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Congratulations and a lovely idea!

I just got married last June to another writer. We got married in a bookstore in New York and the centerpieces were all oragami book art and the cake was a stack of books (which the bakery FAILED to tell us was formed with cardboard and we sawed for several minutes before realizing our cake was not cut-able!)

Have a blast with it!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
TexasGirl said:
I just got married last June to another writer. We got married in a bookstore in New York and the centerpieces were all oragami book art and the cake was a stack of books (which the bakery FAILED to tell us was formed with cardboard and we sawed for several minutes before realizing our cake was not cut-able!)
So the bakery made you a cake that looked like a stack of books, out of...books? That's the sort of cake I could make!

Lexi

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all.  Its still sinking in.

I don't think we have to worry overly much about anyone throwing them out given I think everyone we'd be sending invites to already knows about the engagement.  It isn't going to be a big wedding I think (oh the joys of being a penniless writer.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts