Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
Yeah the affair between siblings might make me reluctant to suggest this book to a younger teen. I was a young teenager when I first read Lord of the Rings - which must have influenced this series and a million others.

My main gripe, like most fans, is that Mr Martin needs to write a little faster. I mean - really?

As an author I know that good things take time. But gee... c'mon. No spoilers, but Whats up with Jon anyway?  ???

· Registered
461 Posts
Ty Johnston said:
Actually, yes, we might need such detail. I repeat, might. It depends upon what the author is trying to do with the scene, with the story. It's not necessarily just a matter of plot or moving the story along or adding detail or trying to gross out the reader, though it could be. A deft writer could include such details to create a certain tone, to build certain emotions within the reader. And sometimes, yes, a writer might even want the reader to feel revulsion.

I'm usually in the less-is-more crowd when it comes to literary violence, but I have seen it done well from time to time, though I might have wanted to stop reading for a short spell.
I think the point is that Martin was trying to be realistic about the excesses of people with absolute power and the true devastation of war. While the story is a fantasy it is probably based upon a study of reality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.