Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

My 2004 novel THE WALK is now available on the Kindle for a mere $1.40 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BSHHTQ. I hope you'll download it for your next airplane trip, subway ride, or visit to the bathroom.

Here's what the book is about...
It's one minute after the Big One. Marty Slack, a TV network executive, crawls out from under his Mercedes, parked outside what once was a downtown Los Angeles warehouse, the location for a new TV show. Downtown LA is in ruins. The sky is thick with black smoke. His cell phone is dead. The freeways are rubble. The airport is demolished. Buildings lay across streets like fallen trees. It will be days before help can arrive.

Marty has been expecting this day all his life. He's prepared. In his car are a pair of sturdy walking shoes and a backpack of food, water, and supplies. He knows there is only one thing he can do ... that he must do: get home to his wife Beth, go back to their gated community on the far edge of the San Fernando Valley.

All he has to do is walk. But he will quickly learn that it's not that easy. His dangerous, unpredictable journey home will take him through the different worlds of what was once Los Angeles. Wildfires rage out of control. Flood waters burst through collapsed dams. Natural gas explosions consume neighborhoods. Sinkholes swallow entire buildings. After-shocks rip apart the ground. Looters rampage through the streets.

There's no power. No running water. No order.

Marty Slack thinks he's prepared. He's wrong. Nothing can prepare him for this ordeal, a quest for his family and for his soul, a journey that will test the limits of his endurance and his humanity, a trek from the man he was to the man he can be ... if he can survive The Walk
Here's what some of the critics had to say...

"Harrowing and funny..."
-Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine

"Lee Goldberg's hard-to-classify but not-be-missed The Walk, set in the aftermath of a major Los Angeles earthquake, pokes fun at the TV industry in the midst of disaster..."
-Jon Breen, The Year In Mystery and Crime Fiction 2004

I came up with the idea for the book while I was writing and producing the TV series MARTIAL LAW. We were shooting in a really bad area of downtown L.A. and I couldn't help wondering what would happen if The Big One hit right at that moment. It took me another two years to research and write the book...I actually walked the whole route that my hero does, just not all at once!

Lee Goldberg
www.leegoldberg.com

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hollywood & The Walk...

THE WALK is about a TV producer who is stuck in downtown Los Angeles when a major earthquake decimates the city and has to walk back home to the suburbs. When the book first came out, there was some interest from a Major Hollywood Studio. They wanted to meet me ASAP. So I went down to studio to meet the development executive. 

The executive told me that he absolutely loved human drama and the action-adventure elements of the book. He only had a few thoughts and concerns about it as a movie. For instance...

"Does the guy have to be a TV producer?" he asked.

I was prepared for that question. I knew the character might be "too inside," meaning too much a part of the entertainment industry, to
connect with a wider audience.

"No," I said, "Of course not. We can give him a different profession."

"How about if the TV producer was a team of cheerleaders instead?" the executive asked.

I laughed, thinking he was joking. He wasn't. But he wasn't done with me yet.

"And what if the earthquake was a tidal wave?" he asked.

Needless to say, the book remains unfilmed.

Lee

·
Registered
377 Posts
Lee,
I read "The Walk" this past Saturday.  What a wonderful story and surprise ending.  I will definitely be looking for more Lee Goldberg books in the near future.  I really enjoy your writing style.  Once I started the book, I had trouble putting it down, which is why I was able to get through it in one day (much to my wife's chagrin).

Paul

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Paul! I am so glad you enjoyed the book. If you are looking for more of my work, seven of my eight original MONK books and my last DIAGNOSIS MURDER novel are available in Kindle editions. And last week, I posted Kindle editions of my out-of-print, 1995 debut novel MY GUN HAS BULLETS and the 1997 sequel BEYOND THE BEYOND.

For me, the great thing about the Kindle is that it brings new life to out-of-print books. In just six weeks, THE WALK has been found by nearly a thousand readers who missed the book in its 2004 hardcover release.

Lee

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Thanks, you're making my debit card cry... ;D

So many good books, so little time. =sigh=

....appears I already bought it. Why is it not on my Kindle...? Hmmm.

·
Registered
377 Posts
LeeGoldberg said:
Thank you, Paul! I am so glad you enjoyed the book. If you are looking for more of my work, seven of my eight original MONK books and my last DIAGNOSIS MURDER novel are available in Kindle editions. And last week, I posted Kindle editions of my out-of-print, 1995 debut novel MY GUN HAS BULLETS and the 1997 sequel BEYOND THE BEYOND.

For me, the great thing about the Kindle is that it brings new life to out-of-print books. In just six weeks, THE WALK has been found by nearly a thousand readers who missed the book in its 2004 hardcover release.

Lee
Hey Lee,
I read both of the Charlie Willis books last week. Hilarious. I really enjoy the parody of television network programming with a good mystery built in. As soon as I get my TBR list down, I'll probably take a look at the Monk and DM books. Keep up the good work

Paul

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Paul. Although both books are a satire of the TV biz, you would be surprised how many of the situations are based on real events (for instance, the star who gets a new car from the studio every year that has to pass inspection by his psychic colorist).

You will find the humor in the MONK and DIAGNOSIS MURDER much more -- how should I put it? -- gentler than in the books of mine that you've read so far. I think you've read more of my books than my wife has!

Lee

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It's one minute after the Big One. Marty Slack, a TV network executive, crawls out from under his Mercedes, parked outside what once was a downtown Los Angeles warehouse, the location for a new TV show. Downtown LA is in ruins. The sky is thick with black smoke. His cell phone is dead. The freeways are rubble. The airport is demolished. Buildings lay across streets like fallen trees. It will be days before help can arrive.

Marty has been expecting this day all his life. He's prepared. In his car are a pair of sturdy walking shoes and a backpack of food, water, and supplies. He knows there is only one thing he can do ... that he must do: get home to his wife Beth, go back to their gated community on the far edge of the San Fernando Valley.

All he has to do is walk. But he will quickly learn that it's not that easy. His dangerous, unpredictable journey home will take him through the different worlds of what was once Los Angeles. Wildfires rage out of control. Flood waters burst through collapsed dams. Natural gas explosions consume neighborhoods. Sinkholes swallow entire buildings. After-shocks rip apart the ground. Looters rampage through the streets.

There's no power. No running water. No order.

Marty Slack thinks he's prepared. He's wrong. Nothing can prepare him for this ordeal, a quest for his family and for his soul, a journey that will test the limits of his endurance and his humanity, a trek from the man he was to the man he can be ... if he can survive THE WALK

The Kindle bestseller....now $1.99 for a limited time!

THE WALK also includes free bonus excerpts from Lee Goldberg's widely acclaimed crime novel The Man with the Iron-On Badge and J.A. Konrath's best-selling, kick-ass thriller The List.

CRITICAL ACCLAIM FOR LEE GOLDBERG

"Can books be better than TV? You bet they can -- when Lee Goldberg's writing them. Get aboard now for a thrill ride," New York Times bestselling author Lee Child

"You'll finish this book breathless," New York Times Bestselling author Janet Evanovich

"Leaves you guessing right up until the heart-stopping ending," New York Times bestselling author Lisa Gardner

"Lee Goldberg can plot and write with the best of them," Mystery Scene Magazine

"When it comes to delivering a first-rate mystery, Lee Goldberg has the hands of a master surgeon," New York Times bestselling Author Rick Riordan

"Harrowing and funny..."
-Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine

"Lee Goldberg's hard-to-classify but not-be-missed THE WALK, set in the aftermath of a major Los Angeles earthquake, pokes fun at the TV industry in the midst of disaster..."
-Jon Breen, The Year In Mystery and Crime Fiction

"With books this good, who needs TV?" Chicago Sun Times

ABOUT THE AUTHOR - Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award nominee. His TV writing and/or producing credits include "Hunter," "SeaQuest," "Spenser For Hire," "Diagnosis Murder," "Martial Law" and "Monk." His books include "My Gun Has Bullets," "Man with the Iron-On Badge," "Successful Television Writing," and the "Diagnosis Murder" and "Monk" series of original mystery novels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, your description totally sold me on this book, I'm going to download it tonight and make it my next read! Sounds like a blast.
Thanks and good luck with the book ~Jack~

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
HI Lee,

I merged your new post with your previous thread for this book. Also, just for your reference, here's a link to Forum Decorum and a recap of the rules. :)

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html

We ask that authors have only one thread per Book, rather than start a new thread each time, it helps members who may be following you. Please bookmark this thread so that you may find it again to update.

We also have a seven day rule, and ask that you bump (make back-to-back posts) no less than seven days apart. You may, of course, respond to member posts at any time. Once you do, it resets the clock and you must wait seven days...

We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, most of our authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!

Ann & Betsy
Book Bazaar Moderators.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ann in Arlington said:
HI Lee,

I merged your new post with your previous thread for this book. Also, just for your reference, here's a link to Forum Decorum and a recap of the rules. :)
Thank you, Ann! I knew I had another, old thread out there somewhere. I tried SEARCH, and it led me to the old post, but it's not the same interface as this discussion... and I couldn't figure out how to add a reply. Sorry you had to make the extra effort on my behalf.

Lee

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I remembered it was one of the first books you'd introduced. . .so I went to your profile and went back to your earliest posts. . .sure enough, there it was.

You might PM Jeff with details about this thread and he'll include it in the Index threads he's maintaining at the top of the Book Bazaar.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I keep planning to stock food and water in case the big one hits, but I never get around to it. I hadn't thought of having some in my car in case it happens when I'm far from home.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R. Reed said:
I keep planning to stock food and water in case the big one hits, but I never get around to it. I hadn't thought of having some in my car in case it happens when I'm far from home.
The nice thing is that it also doubles as a roadside emergency/accident kit. The hard part is remembering to freshing your kits every few years. I know I am behind....

Lee

1 - 20 of 42 Posts