Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of Caesar's biographies are deadly and daunting. Please sample my straightforward, down-to-earth treatment and see if it appeals. Thanks for looking!

Sig Rosenblum

PS: Lots of interest in this book. And I suspect that it's because of the non-academic approach. Oldsters and youngsters seem to appreciate that. For myself, my historian heroes are those who use plain muscular English and have a keen narrative sense. David McCullough is a prime example, even though he is accused of writing "history lite."

But an old bit of ad agency doggerel says it pretty well: "Tell me quick and tell me true, or else, my friend, the heck with you!"

Sig

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks, Sig!  Hope you enjoyed your New Years - we're glad to have you here with us!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The greatest man in the world, many claim, is the general who said "I came, I saw, I conquered." You may want to sample my new Kindle Edition of Julius Caesar: A Brief Biography.

Thanks for looking!

Sig Rosenblum

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thank you,
I just got mine.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I love reading about history.
Added to my wishlist.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Sig; I will let you know how I like the sample. I love reading History. I hope I will like it. I have homework to finish then I will take time and read the sample later today.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Sig: Again I just read enough of the sample to see if I like it. I like  the way you write.  The story flows and is easy to read. I  bought a copy of this one also. I let you know how I like it after I read the book.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just started a blog on Amazon. And I hope it will be helpful as well as interesting. Please take a look and--if you like--let me have your thoughts. It's always a pleasure to hear from friends at KB! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2RDHEL40RSK6M/ref=sv__4

Many thanks for the visit!

Sig Rosenblum

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a striking, spine-chilling parallel between the Rome of Caesar's time and our own. They, too, lamented their situation and longed for better things. But they said it in Latin: O tempore, O mores! Oh, the times, Oh, the manners! Please sample this fast-moving portrait of ancient Rome and the genius who helped make it great:

Thanks for looking!

Sig Rosenblum

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is wonderful to see so many new members of KB. No question: It is the very best Kindle-related site--as newcomers will quickly see.

One thing it does tell me, however, that is not quite so sunny. And it is this: How could there be 300,000 to one million Kindle owners out there when this exemplary social network has only 2,000 participants?

My guess is that ownership is more in the 10,000-40,000 range. Your thoughts?

Oh, I almost forgot: Sample my Kindled "Julius Caesar: A Brief Biography." An exciting tale for smart young adults, too!

Sig Rosenblum

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
sigrosenblum said:
One thing it does tell me, however, that is not quite so sunny. And it is this: How could there be 300,000 to one million Kindle owners out there when this exemplary social network has only 2,000 participants?

My guess is that ownership is more in the 10,000-40,000 range. Your thoughts?
I don't think this board's membership numbers can really be used to determine how many overall Kindle owners are out there. Too many other variables exist.

1) Amazon and Mobileread (among others) also have boards. While there is some overlap, I'm sure there are people who only post exclusively on one of the boards and not any of the others.

2) Some K owners just aren't going to be into message boards, won't see the need to talk about their favorite books, etc.

3) K1 was sold out for much of its run. The number of owners is probably higher than we think because a good chunk of those people will be getting K2s, which aren't out yet. A small percentage, I'm sure, gave up on the idea of owning one for now because they were frustrated that it was constantly sold out. I think, though, that if anyone who really wanted a Kindle would have waited. I suspect most people have.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All very good and valid points you make, though "sold out" is a much-used marketing strategy. Long ago, in the golden age of advertising, one of the greats(Benton & Bowles maybe?) actually took a big ad declining any future business. Guess what? Business boomed. And even today, fancy restaurants with reputations to protect, still insist on reservations when they have plenty of empty tables.

But as an indie author and former publisher, I am dreaming of the day when there will be zillions of Kindles out there. Notwithstanding your well-taken comments, I am super-skeptical. Oh, if only Amazon would release those well-guarded figures!

Best regards,

Sig

1 - 20 of 54 Posts