Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any US Kindle users taken your Kindle abroad?

My daughter is going to study in France and I wanted to send her off with a Kindle. But then I started to wonder if there is something special you must do to get Whispernet in France. Or any other considerations...

Assistez-moi, s'il vous plait?

Merci.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I us the PC app, but I've seen a couple people using them (and buying over wifi) in Mexico and Guatemala. I don't know for sure how the whispernet deal worked, though. I can tell you that (in Guatemala, technically "Latin American region") I get US listings, with my region as US--something about my billing addy, I suspect.

In France... She may get charged VAT, actually. Otherwise, well... If it works in Guatemala and Mexico it's gotta work in Europe, right? Not much help, huh?

·
Registered
982 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, she'll have to use the wifi in order to download books (unless she sideloads them) when out of the country.

Regardless of where she is, she will be able to buy from the US Kindle store, provided that the Kindle is registered to a US account with a US billing address. That means no VAT.

Again, I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure about this.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As I remember, there's an international version of the Kindle--or are all Kindles now "international." The reason there were only Kindles in the U.S. for a while is because the Whispernet worked on the Sprint cell system, and Sprint's technology did not work in Europe and elsewhere. Maybe this has been solved now. Is there anyone of Amazon to write to make sure?

It seems to me, though, Wifi is Wifi, so she'll be able to get on that way.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

So I guess she'll need both WiFi and 3G?

I'll see if I can find an Amazonie who can clarify this.

If it works in Latin America, it's definitely gotta work in Europe. I'd think.

Appreciate the answers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts