Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any US Kindle users here who have taken their Kindles abroad?

My daughter is going to study in France and I wanted to send her off with a Kindle. But then I started to wonder if there is something special you must do to get Whispernet in France. Or any other considerations...

Assistez-moi, s'il vous plait?

Merci.

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
I've only taken my overseas for short periods, so I've had no issues.  I know that people on deployment have used US kindles in Iraq and Afghanistan, so it is possible.  She will need to take an adapter to charge it, of course.  As far as buying books, don't know what to tell you.

·
6,036 Posts
According to Amazon's map, pretty much the whole of France has high speed 3G coverage so I would recommend you get her the 3G version. The only extra charges which might apply for US customers travelling abroad are when buying newspapers and other periodicals or having personal documents delivered by wi-fi and she could always avoid that by downloading to a PC and then transferring via USB. If she's just going to be buying books there should be no extra charge whether she downloads them via wi-fi or 3G. As Scarlet says, she'll need a European compatible charger, but she could probably get one when she gets there and charge it via a laptop until then.

If you have any other concerns a quick call to Kindle CS wouldn't hurt. They're the experts, after all!

I think it's a great gift to send her off with.  ;D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I spend most of my time in Mexico and have the WiFi only model. It works fine for me. I am usually in Oaxaca, Mexico, and hotspots for WiFi are common and now most hotels have free WiFi. I had a KindleDX which was 3G only and that worked. It was noticeably slower and I did have one 36 hour period when I had no service.

As long as the account information links to the U.S., your daughter will have no problems downloading books just as if she were in the U.S. My bank card is on a U.S. bank and the billing address is in the U.S. so that makes me reside in the U.S. as far as Amazon is concerned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please don't worry...your daughter will be fine. All she really needs is a compatible charger for France, easily available. Also, I presume she will have a laptop which she can link up to.
We live on the Spain/France border and both have Kindles, registered at Amazon.com. Wi-Fi is fine....3G is fine...downloading is fine. Good luck !

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Linjeakel, thanks! Good advice regarding buying newspapers and periodicals on the Kindle, and possible charges. Although she has this romantic vision of sitting in an outdoor Paris cafe with a hard copy of Le Monde and an espresso.  ;)

patrickt, thanks! Another helping of good advice, and we'll definitely put her account on a US bank.

Bigal-sa, thanks! Good point about the plugtop adaptor; I suspect she'll need that for other devices as well.

Hombre, thanks! But I'm a bit confused about the charger--the standard one will not work in France?

I'll also check with Amazon CS on all this.

And must say I'm jealous of all you world travelers/residents. But hey, I'll be visiting daughter in France and one of my dream destinations is Barcelona, just a hop skip and jump away.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
The Kindle, as you may know, comes with a cord that is basically a USB cord. But there's a 'plug adapter' that fits into the one end of the USB so you can charge it from an electrical outlet. If you buy in the US, the adpater is US standard. If you purchase outside the US they usually don't include an adapter at all. You can buy them on Amazon though. Or you can by a basic US to European adapter. Here's a link to a couple I found: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=european+plug+for+kindle&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Aeuropean+plug+for+kindle&ajr=0

I'd probably just suggest the second Kindle cord. . . .it never hurts to have a spare. . . .but as you see there are lots of options that are pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much, Ann!

You're right, wouldn't hurt to have a second Kindle cord--especially because daugh is prone to dropping her cell phone in the toilet and putting it through the laundry, so who knows what she'll do with a Kindle and its cord. :(

Then again, she'll need an adapter to connect her laptop, etc.

Will check out your links.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Toni...sorry..I meant the US/Europe adaptor that Ann mentioned. Sorry to confuse you. Going to "Barca" means you pass right by my front door. It's a fabulous city...enjoy. The Boqueria market...Las Ramblas...great restaurants....oh, don't get me going.......

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hombre said:
Toni...sorry..I meant the US/Europe adaptor that Ann mentioned. Sorry to confuse you. Going to "Barca" means you pass right by my front door. It's a fabulous city...enjoy. The Boqueria market...Las Ramblas...great restaurants....oh, don't get me going.......
Everyone is correct, I love taking my Kindle everywhere. It's just SO easy, and having 3G means I have free basic (and I mean basic) internet for emergencies and keeping in contact while traveling. I never downloaded anything while outside of the US (my TBR pile is too big), but I like the fact that I have the option to. My Kindle is my ultimate must have travel tool, next to passport, bank cards, and clean clothes...of course.:)

Geez, all this talk about traveling to France and Barca makes me want to throw everything aside, buy a plane ticket and just take off! Oh so cruel...

Tris

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Hombre. No worries, I'm easily confused.  ::)  So when I head for Barca (appreciate knowing that bit of the lingo), past your front door, I'll wave! And you're making me impatient--can't go until next spring. Ah well.

Tris, thanks. Yeah, I've tried the (very) basic browser and I can sloooooowly get onto the net. But do like the idea of my daughter being as connected as possible. It's a mom thing. Worry much? ;D

Just hope plane tix aren't so pricey when it comes time for mine!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi,

I just took my Kindle to Spain for 2 weeks in April - and I go to Europe about once/year since 2003...

so to clarify, there are two different things that help make your electronics "go" in Europe. One is a plug adapter, the other is an electrical converter (transformers). You need electrical/power converters (transformers) for things like hairdryers, but most smaller electrical gadgets (including the Kindle) do not require them. Laptops may or may not need a converter. On the power cord, look at the brick for 100-240V + 50 - 60Hz (it needs to have both the voltage and the hertz listed to be fully compatible). Many laptops today are dual voltage. But back to the Kindle...

All you need to power the Kindle internationally is a plug adapter. What my husband and I do is have one plug adapter (like http://www.amazon.com/International-Travel-Grounded-Adapter-Plug/dp/B001ISR9B6/ref=sr_1_14?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1308262513&sr=8-14), and then we plug into that a plug multiplier (like http://www.amazon.com/54203-Heavy-3-Grounded-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B000EU4HBO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308262588&sr=8-2) and it gives us 3 plug-ins to plug our US cords into. She may find a similar set-up to be useful.

Again though, check the voltage/wattage to ensure compatibility (Kindle is fine - just need to have a plug adapter).

Hope that helped rather than confused. :)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cargalmn, thanks! Very helpful.

In fact, this thread has been a great tutorial for me. With the help of you cool Kindle people, I'll send my daughter off with a Kindle, the right adapter, and the freedom to use it in France.

Yay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got back from three weeks in London, Normandy,Loire Valley and Paris.
I was able to use my kindle 3G  everywhere. I could use it as I was on the train and
also as we were driving with no problems. My sister-in-law had an Iphone with the verizon plan
and could only use it where there was wi-fi.
I would highly recommend getting a 3G for those that travel a lot.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
The Kindle, as you may know, comes with a cord that is basically a USB cord. But there's a 'plug adapter' that fits into the one end of the USB so you can charge it from an electrical outlet. If you buy in the US, the adpater is US standard. If you purchase outside the US they usually don't include an adapter at all. You can buy them on Amazon though. Or you can by a basic US to European adapter. Here's a link to a couple I found: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=european+plug+for+kindle&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3Aeuropean+plug+for+kindle&ajr=0

I'd probably just suggest the second Kindle cord. . . .it never hurts to have a spare. . . .but as you see there are lots of options that are pretty inexpensive.
I'm going to France and Italy for 3 weeks in Sept. Since this is a usb connector, do you think it could be used on the iPhone and iPad? If so, this would be perfect for me.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Kathy said:
I'm going to France and Italy for 3 weeks in Sept. Since this is a usb connector, do you think it could be used on the iPhone and iPad? If so, this would be perfect for me.
I have no iThings so can't say. . . .I can say the cord for my DROID phone is the same as for the Kindle. My son, who also has a DROID and a Kindle, had no trouble when traveling in Ireland -- just used a plug adapter.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I took my Kindle to England over the holidays. I only had connection problems when I was in Northern England, but mostly since I was in a village outside of Blackpool. My phone was cutting in and out too.

And as Kathy said, the same USB cord with the Droid phone charges your Kindle. I usually use one cord to switch back and forth to charge them now.

I'm going to Australia in a week. Anyone have any suggestions for down under? I'm loading all the books I can on my Kindle. I'll be there for 6 weeks with lots of reading time. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any Amazon/Kindle stores in Sydney. Working on getting an adapter for there as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read this thread with interest as a friend in Germany has just bought a Kindle there, but is unable to access any websites except wikipedia. If people with US/UK registered Kindles can have full normal coverage whilst abroad, the reason is obviously not signal based. Can anyone explain why an American or a Brit sitting in a German cafe can access the internet on their Kindle, but a German with their own locally registered one sitting next to them cannot?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts