Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:So I have only had my beloved Kindle for a little over two weeks, but I have been really happy with the case that came with it, seems to hold securely, folds over nicely, etc.  Until this morning!  I was moving it to dust, and the kindle fell out! I caught it just as it touched the ground and it barely even touched the carpet (the only rug in my house)  All appeared fine, screensaver was still on, and I thought, wow maybe I should order that pretty bright blue M-edge cover I have been looking at.

Then disaster struck, went outside to read in the sun and when I woke Kindle up, half of the screensaver was still covering the screen, like burn-in!!!

Could this be caused by what could hardly be called a fall??  What can I do?  ???

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, still no luck. Part of the upper part of the screen retains the image of the screensaver regardless of where I am on the Kindle (home screen, in a book, etc) Other than that, perfectly functional.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Wow, bummer!!  Sorry for you Tracey!  You can always call amazon, doubtful they'll do anything for a drop but it's definitely worth a call.  If and when you get it replaced, I highly recommend the m-edge covers, mine's snug and safe in there!  

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it was charging after "the incident"  Amazon Kindle support is walking me through various resets, to no avail... but they are very nice. On hold again while he talks to his supervisor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If there is no visible  physical damage to the unit I'd say leave the drop out of your conversation with amazon... Just tell them you're screen isn't working properly and I'm willing to bet you'll get a replacement free of charge... Slightly dishonest, but one, the device should be sturdy enough to withstand slight abuse, and two, it sounds like it's more the cases fault then yours. Good luck, hope this helps  

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think are right, since the "incident" hardly qualifies as a "drop," more like a small bump (and probably gets more abuse in my purse. No physical signs of anything, and screen seemed fine right after. It was hours later when I went to read that the issue started.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! I love Amazon CS - they are sending me a new one, says it sounds like the screen has a short.  It will be here Monday!! But now I have to live two days without my favorite toy.

Off to buy that M-edge case....Thanks all! :eek:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I want to go read my Kindle but I'm dying to see how this turns out!

Edit- I guess we were posting at the same time. Glad CS is sending a new one. Now I'm off  to read.

B

·
0 Posts
Or you can use the USB connection to move them to your computer. Once your new one arrives, USB them right back on or send through Whispernet after it is registered to your account.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
You can transfer them from your Kindle to the computer via USB; it's probably quicker than doing it inside the Kindle and easier given the screen problems.  When connecting via the USB, you don't use the Kindle's screen.  If you want help stepping through it, we can go to the chat room.

Betsy

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Glad to hear it Tracey!  Also good to know about customer service and their willingness to back up their product!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chimmer said:
Bummer. One thing you could try is to remove the battery for a while, maybe an hour or more and then power up and see what you get.

Other than that, you may have to see about a repair/replacement.
Please, stop telling people to remove the battery.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
meljackson said:
This is my biggest fear! I'm glad it turned out okay for you but next time just skip the dusting.

Melissa
So far we've come up with reasons not to exercise (static build up) and now not to clean (screen short). This is all good, gives us more time to Kindle!

L

1 - 20 of 54 Posts