Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I published my first book two weeks ago and so far everything seems to be going okay. I mean I have nothing to compare it to but it's not bad. However, I don't really understand KU or how you get paid for it and now I'm wondering if I should pull out all together?
Since the 6/02/14 I have 58 paid sales. My price is £1.99 so my royalties are £1.13 Which is fine.
But then I've had 79 KU/KOLL sales.
According to my royalties earned I've got :
£44.07
$30.60
$2.62 CAD.

Dose this just mean the KU/Koll sales haven't reach 10%? I just don't understand how they are worked out!
Also is this OK for the first two week? I've also used my 5 free days with amazon so i sold 835 books then but they where free so I'm not counting those.
Help please
:)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sounds like you're looking at the Royalties Earned table under the Units Ordered graph on your KDP dashboard. If so, your KU royalties won't be included there because we won't know until next month what the current payout will be. You will end up with more income than you're seeing--you just won't know exactly how much for a few weeks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You'll probably have a little over $100 more in royalties once they add in the KU borrows, which as Mike said, won't show up until next month. I think it was $1.38 per borrow for January.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wait, by 6/2/14 do you mean February 2nd, 2015 or? Americans read that the other way around but also 2014 is throwing me off so I just want to make sure that two weeks is the length of time you're talking about sales. If so, that's a bang up start! Congrats. Great cover, BTW.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your 6/2/14 is really supposed to mean February 6th of this year?

Mike is right.

In those daily download reports you can do, you're only going to see dollar values for your sales not your borrows.  What I do to estimate month-to-date income and sales is go to the Royalty Report tab, filter out the free transaction types, and then add up the Net Units Sold (that will remove any returns from your totals) and the values in the Royalty column to get sales and what I've earned from them.

I then combine the Net Units Sold numbers with the values from the Orders Report tab under the KU/KOLL units column and the Royalty amount with 1.25 times the total in the KU/KOLL units column on the Orders Report tab.  (In other words, until I know better, I estimate that Amazon will pay me $1.25 a borrow.  But you won't know the actual payout per borrow for the first month until the 15th of next month.)

If that didn't make any sense, then just ignore me and know that you won't know how much your borrows are worth until the 15th of next month when Amazon releases the monthly report.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I was looking at the royalties earned table! I thought it would show all the royalties.... but now it's been explained it totally makes sense why it isn't there!

And yes I did mean 6th February 2015... It's nearly March and I'm still getting it wrong! :)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
284 Posts
sophia ann said:
Oh I was looking at the royalties earned table! I thought it would show all the royalties.... but now it's been explained it totally makes sense why it isn't there!
Another thing you're going to run into is that the sales dashboard only shows the last 30 days (?) by default, and the totals at the bottom only show totals for the period that the graph is showing. So some of your royalties will "drop off" the left side. To get your real total, you have to adjust the start date and recalculate.

You can also get more detail by downloading the spreadsheet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts