Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my 11-year-old daughter Sarah read a poem to my wife over the phone. (KW is at a book-writer’s conference in Redmond.)

It was a poem she wrote this morning about Raney, and it was one of her long ones. I was in the kitchen making coffee. I heard her finish reading the poem. She was quiet for a moment - and then broke into deep, soft sobs.

She gave me the phone, and my wife told me that the poem had made her cry - and when Sarah realized that, she started crying, too. She pulled into my hug and she wept hard for a few minutes - while I, her befuddled father, tried to figure out what had just happened here.

I think I'm beginning to understand her reaction. First, she loves her mom, and it touched something in her to know that her poem had moved her mom that way.

And I think that an awareness came over her that her written words have the ability to bring out emotion in others. That’s powerful.

I'm thankful that my wife gave her that moment.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
This is a very sweet story, I think that learning how powerful words can be is a good lesson for kids to learn early on.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
You'll probably remember that moment when she's long grown.  Such a moving story.

Just wanted to let you know that the phenomenon of daughters crying when they notice that their mothers are   is not uncommon...  just a sign of closeness, and caring...   and it happens even when daughter has no idea at all why mom is crying.  

May they continue to have such a good relationship through the rocky teenage years, and beyond.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for those comments. I have a tendency to want to fix things right away, which my wife tells me is a male genetic deficiency. Sometimes you just have to let people cry and be there for them without trying to make it all better. At least, I'm trying to learn that.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Harvey said:
Thanks for those comments. I have a tendency to want to fix things right away, which my wife tells me is a male genetic deficiency. Sometimes you just have to let people cry and be there for them without trying to make it all better. At least, I'm trying to learn that.
I agree with you that sometimes you just need to be quiet.
"They too serve who stand and wait" or something like that also.

But the other thing. The realization that words can move people.
That is neat. And powerful. And dangerous. And good.
I would hope that more of our authors here would think about that before writing (me too).
Just sayin.....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Harvey said:
If you learn that you will be a King among men!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Having raised 3 girls I know how wonderful those little moments are. Expect many more tears raising little girls and sometime they are just happy tears. My Father used to go around just shaking his head and couldn't figure out what was going on. He had my Mom, my 2 sisters and I to deal with. I asked him one day, do you wish you had a boy and he shook his head and told me "God only gives special men little girls to raise and I must be very special with my 3 little girls". I was about 10 years old at the time and I know that it made me always feel special in my Dad's eyes. :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Very beautiful and touching story. Thanks for sharing!

I need to go call my mom... well, maybe in the morning. I wouldn't want to wake her up!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Harvey, such a wonderful story.  Thank you so much for sharing it with your friends here. 
deb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts