Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And not a good one.. I guess on one hand, I could be flattered.. Instead, I cringe at all of the work I'll have to do sending DMCA take-downs (if that's even possible with torrent sites)..

I googled my name and "torrent" tonight and came up with hits on:

btjunkie.org
torrenthound.com
torrentz.eu
monova.org
torentilo.com
bitsnoop.com
torrentreactor.to
torrentsearcher.org

and a couple of others..

Most seem to be from mid April or so..

gah!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My understanding is that just because it says it's a torrent site, doesn't mean it actually has downloads available.  A lot of them are nuisance sites, used for phishing or some other nefarious purpose.

That being said, my books appear to have been available on torrents for years, and they're still selling.  So try not to let it upset you too much.  Stressing about things you can't change is a sure way to make yourself crazy.

And yeah, you can try to get them to take it down, but they just pop up again *sighs*.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EllenFisher said:
My understanding is that just because it says it's a torrent site, doesn't mean it actually has downloads available. A lot of them are nuisance sites, used for phishing or some other nefarious purpose.

That being said, my books appear to have been available on torrents for years, and they're still selling. So try not to let it upset you too much. Stressing about things you can't change is a sure way to make yourself crazy.

And yeah, you can try to get them to take it down, but they just pop up again *sighs*.
Yeah.. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it at this point. Torrent consumers are a relatively small chunk of the population.. and they'll hopefully pass on the word about the book to friends who are not inclined to figure out the mechanics of torrenting and just purchase on their kindle/nook/ipad/whatever...

·
Registered
25 Posts
They've done a lot of torrenting studies in the music biz (for obvious reasons). One of the most interesting things to come out of the studies was the fact that the most avid torrenters were also the most avid purchasers. I'm betting that the same will be true for books.  Did your sales rate go up post April?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi William, I wouldn't get too worried about it. People who are torrenting wouldn't have paid for your book anyway. So it's not lost sales that you need to worry about.

If anything they may really like your book and then purchase others by you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts