Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I normally don't succumb to emotional mushiness (have to maintain my "guy" image, right? LOL!), but this morning I was driving into D.C. and had one of "those" moments.

For those who may not know the area, if you drive in on East Capitol Street (heading east toward D.C.), there's a spot where you come up a gentle rise, and then you get a view of the Capitol and the Washington Monument beyond RFK stadium.

It just struck me as I saw that today how much our nation has really changed, not only since the United States was founded, but just in the last decade. There's good and bad, yes, but - regardless of your political views - we've really  entered a whole new era of possibility, haven't we? And as far as I'm concerned, that's a very good thing...

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
You had a much better experience of D.C. than I did the last time I was there. I was walking toward the Capitol Mall when I was attacked by a group of scavengers with machine guns and laser weapons. I jinked to the left to avoid fire and stumbled into a pool filled with radioactive water and about five trip mines. I did end up with +400 experience points, though, so it wasn't a total loss.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Having been born in DC and grew up with the Capitol in my backyard, just about, I never fail to be moved by the sight of the Capitol. It's going to be very cool to go see the lights downtown this holiday season. The holiday display on the Ellipse is gorgeous and well known, but one of my favorites is the Capitol's tree, with the lit up Capitol behind it. I'm very proud of our country for taking this historic step, as The View's Elizabeth Hasselbeck said, it's not a matter of partisanship, it's a matter of history, and it will add new meaning to those lights.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,247 Posts
One time I was driving from Andrews Air Force base (in MD, SE of DC) to Springfield (in VA, SW of DC - and across the Potomac) to visit friends. The Beltway was basically stopped -- big accident -- learned about it well ahead thanks to "traffic and weather on the 8's" and got off and headed north into town. Didn't really know exactly how to get to another bridge to cross into Virginia, but I knew if I headed for the Washington monument and turned left, I'd find something that would direct me the right way.

But be real careful of Rock Creek Parkway -- you may mean to go downtown, but you can end up in Bethesda MD because it's only going OUT and you can't exit until you get well past the Zoo.

I agree about the 'new era' though. (Anyone want to buy the Nov 5 issue of the Washington Post? I'll sell it cheap ;) ) I'm rather surprised I haven't heard from any of my dyed-in-the-wool Democrat relatives about 'visiting' during mid January. . . . And I've always thought the monuments are fairly moving. When we bought this house 12 years ago, you could see the top of the Washington Monument from our front window. Darn neighbors trees growing!

Ann

1 - 4 of 4 Posts