Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I organized a give-away of 50 copies of Pale Queen's Courtyard through Librarything, so these demographics naturally apply only to a single project given away through a single social medium, and should not be considered in any way, shape or form scientific.

Still interesting, though!

Of 50 winners:

2 Male
2 Unisex names
46 Female

2 Canadians
3 Brits
1 South African
1 Australian
1 Austrian
1 Uruguayan
41 Americans

The most common name was Catherine and its various derivatives.

The most popular US state appears to be Texas, but Minnesota's surprisingly high up there. The only participating Canadian province is Ontario (represent!). The Brits are all English.

Conclusion:

The answer, clearly, is to microtarget Texan Kates.

Seriously, though:

I'm surprised at how skewed the gender breakdown was. Obviously, a single book pitched on one site is indicative of nothing in particular, but even so.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Was the pitch just the title and cover? Because I would think it's probably a female protag, based on those two things. We need more of those in fantasy!

Thanks for posting your data. I loooove data.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
genevieveaclark said:
Was the pitch just the title and cover? Because I would think it's probably a female protag, based on those two things. We need more of those in fantasy!
The funny thing about that is that actually, the book is split between two male protagonists (my next novel has a female protagonist).

The cut-n-paste pitch:

Offered by MarcinWrona (author): The giveaway will be organized through Smashwords coupons. Smashwords is an e-book content distributor and converter; most any electronic format you can think of is supported (up to and including .mobi, down to and including plain text).

Please consider leaving a review on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. Reviews are vital to getting the word out, particularly for those of us who have gone the independent route.

Description: Kamvar, a soldier, has lost his way. Leonine, a thief and sorcerer, has forgotten that he had one to lose.

When the daughter of a High Priest finds herself exiled and hunted across the entirety of conquered Ekka, both men will remember who they are, and the country's invaders will learn that memories, unlike temples, are not so easily torn down.

Pale Queen's Courtyard is the first novel by Canadian author Marcin Wrona, and a finalist in SciFiNow's 2009 War of the Words. It is a spear-and-sorcery fantasy inspired by ancient Mesopotamia.

"Wrona's style and voice is where he shines. It is a bit different than a majority of the books out there, but once you're in, you're hooked." -rainyofthedark reviews

ed:

Oh, interestingly, Michelle was probably somewhere up there as well, in that it was one of the relatively few names that repeated. Alas, different states.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
I say this hopefully in the vein of constructive criticism, but my first thought, on the title alone, was that it may be a gay or lesbian title. 'Pale queens' invoked the idea of gender-doubtful ladies of the night.
When I realised it was not this, my second thought was that it was a book aimed at the female gender.

I am in the UK and giving you an English perspective of your title

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
modwitch said:
So since you have a title with "queen" in it, and a cover that doesn't scream fantasy, I'm guessing what you're seeing is more of a survey of readers reacting fairly quickly to your title and cover.
That stands to reason, particularly given the low giveaway-to-review ratio that authors tend to report.

Perry Aylen said:
I say this hopefully in the vein of constructive criticism, but my first thought, on the title alone, was that it may be a gay or lesbian title. 'Pale queens' invoked the idea of gender-doubtful ladies of the night.
Queen Liz is giving you as mean a look as the old dear can. :D

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
one interesting question is what are the overall demographics on Libraryanything?
if they skew US/female, then you're subset makes sense. in order to get a better sample set, you'd need to run your giveaway across multiple sites.  

and i'm curious, how did you determine gender?  do people have to use real names on that site?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scarlet said:
one interesting question is what are the overall demographics on Libraryanything?
I am, of course, well aware that the sample is hardly representative. It's just for fun. That said, if anybody does happen to have demographic information on any of the big book sites (Goodreads, etc.), I'd be curious to hear it.

My understanding of the fantasy genre is that readership these days is about 60% female, but I imagine some of that depends on how exactly one defines fantasy and whether or not YA (largely female-oriented) or paranormal romance (likewise) are included. More traditional "map fantasy" is... well, all over the map. I don't imagine many women are reading Erikson, but Kay probably has a larger female readership than male and I wouldn't be surprised to see GRRM split pretty much down the middle.

I'm sure publishers have the actual demographics, but I haven't seen them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have any big book sites demographics either.  For what it's worth, I can say that I also held a giveaway via librarything.com.  I should say that while my book has elements of fantasy, it isn't a clear genre fit.  While interest wasn't through the roof, my stats were as follows:

Male requests: 15

Female requests: 55

While I didn't break down each country, I can say the following:

Outside of the US = 18, with countries ranging from Germany, Uruguay, Australia, with many from the UK and Canada.

The sad thing is that in my book, apocalypse by flood befalls the world and my knights of the end times sail out to rescue survivors, ultimately in many parts of the world.  Australia and Uruguay weren't among them.  Maybe I should have thought beyond the U.S. a bit more in my writing, but the novel is what it is!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts