Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone couldn't get their download to work properly. So did they phone the Kindle tech. people for help? Did they send an email? No, they took out their frustration by posting a one-star review on my book.

I have asked Amazon to look into this and if appropriate, delete the review. Still waiting to hear from them.

Why do people do this?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Having glanced at the review, it looks like they genuinely thought there was a problem with the book itself rather than the download process. I suppose it didn't occur to them to contact tech support because they didn't realize it was a technical problem. I'm sorry it happened to you-- hope you can get it straightened out and make your customer happy!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neaughea said:
That totally sucks! I'm so sorry Alondo! I really dislike the epic dumbness!
I did post a comment - quite measured in the circumstances, I thought. I have no way of knowing whether the poster will read it, of course.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Not likely Amazon will do anything to help with the review.
While I generally never recommend leaving comments, this is a case where I would consider it.  

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ugh. That's like the people who leave bad reviews on Amazon because their order was late or got damaged during shipping.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MegHarris said:
Having glanced at the review, it looks like they genuinely thought there was a problem with the book itself rather than the download process. I suppose it didn't occur to them to contact tech support because they didn't realize it was a technical problem. I'm sorry it happened to you-- hope you can get it straightened out and make your customer happy!
Uh, did they not notice that there were 25 reviews ahead of them, all favourable? Would all those people have posted favourable reviews if there were great chunks of the book missing?

Perhaps common sense is not as common as it should be!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian Spangler said:
Not likely Amazon will do anything to help with the review.
While I generally never recommend leaving comments, this is a case where I would consider it.
I did comment, Brian (politely!). I was also careful to be measured and polite in my correspondence with Amazon. After all, it's not their fault. Still, I do expect some action on this. If someone wants to criticize my work then that's their privilege, but the technology is out of my hands.

On the bright side, the book has continued to sell today, so other readers seem to be taking the review for what it is. Fortunately, most readers are quite intelligent in my experience, which is a good thing!

·
Registered
632 Posts
It sucks, but they're unlike to do anything about it. One of my non-fiction books once got a bunch of one star reviews because Amazon changed something on the back end and it completely screwed up the formatting, meaning the diagrams didn't appear in the right places. Nobody bothered to contact me about this (despite having easy to find contact info in the book), so the first I knew about it was the bad reviews.

Uploading a new copy of the book to KDP fixed the problem, but the reviews unfortunately are there for good. One reviewer did actually come back and update their review (although not the star rating) after the issue was fixed, but only one. On a positive note, the one stars didn't appear to affect sales negatively, so don't let it worry you too much.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HarryDayle said:
It sucks, but they're unlike to do anything about it. One of my non-fiction books once got a bunch of one star reviews because Amazon changed something on the back end and it completely screwed up the formatting, meaning the diagrams didn't appear in the right places. Nobody bothered to contact me about this (despite having easy to find contact info in the book), so the first I knew about it was the bad reviews.

Uploading a new copy of the book to KDP fixed the problem, but the reviews unfortunately are there for good. One reviewer did actually come back and update their review (although not the star rating) after the issue was fixed, but only one. On a positive note, the one stars didn't appear to affect sales negatively, so don't let it worry you too much.
Well, we'll see. I'll report back when I get an answer from them.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Last I looked, Harry Potter had something like 50 1 star reviews, and just about every one of them was because the thing didn't format right or there was some problem with Amazon. If they didn't remove them for ol' Harry...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got something similar once on a print book - the reviewer complained that it took to long to ship the book.  I reported the review and it was removed by Amazon within a couple of days.

I hope yours gets removed, but even if it doesn't anyone reading it will dismiss it because it has nothing to do with the book, so hopefully won't hurt sales.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vrabinec said:
Last I looked, Harry Potter had something like 50 1 star reviews, and just about every one of them was because the thing didn't format right or there was some problem with Amazon. If they didn't remove them for ol' Harry...
Well, I guess we'll find out whether I have more clout than Harry, won't we? :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome to the club. I got a one-star because the guy said he couldn't get the app for Kindle to work on his phone. I did write to Amazon about it and they replied with what looked like a standard reply letter saying that they encourage customers to leave reviews as they see fit.
UGH.

·
Registered
333 Posts
MH Sargent said:
Welcome to the club. I got a one-star because the guy said he couldn't get the app for Kindle to work on his phone. I did write to Amazon about it and they replied with what looked like a standard reply letter saying that they encourage customers to leave reviews as they see fit.
UGH.
I got the same one-star on Amazon.UK for kindle issues and was still holding out hope that Amazon might remove it. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Sorry that happened. I find the review process very frustrating. I do not have a book published on Amazon yet, but I am a voracious reader, and I do read reviews before buying a book, unless it is brand new, then I rely solely on the description and sample.

There have been a few times I commented on a review I felt was unfair. I think it is better for another reader to reprimand stupidity than for the author to do it. Recently someone gave a Single a one star review because it was a short story. Really? I also commented on one that was a glowing review, where the reader went on to tell everything they loved about the book, but then gave it three stars. If it was that wonderful, why only three stars? What would the poor author have had to do to get five stars--come over to their house and read it to them?

It is equally frustrating for reviewers, when we take the time to write a thoughtful review, covering all the bases; plot development, style, character development, etc., and then someone votes your review "not helpful." Especially when there is a one star review stating something like, "I hated this book. Don't buy it!" and it says 237 out of 239 people found this helpful. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
vlmain said:
I also commented on one that was a glowing review, where the reader went on to tell everything they loved about the book, but then gave it three stars. If it was that wonderful, why only three stars? What would the poor author have had to do to get five stars--come over to their house and read it to them?
:D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kea said:
Completely a bummer. So sorry. A one star is nearly inevitable for every author, but you at least want it to be for a legitimate reason or opinion.
Interestingly, The Kindle Fire has 538 one-star reviews. Since the review posted on my book is to do with the Kindle, maybe I should suggest that they transfer the review to its rightful place?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I feel your pain!  We got a one star yesterday from a reader saying that the Kindle version was missing whole sections of pages in several places.  Turns out the "skipping pages" issue is a known Kindle bug, and has nothing to do with our book's formatting, per se.  We have almost no returns out of thousands sold just this month, and certainly no sudden increase in returns.  I wonder if she got it for Christmas?  Anyway, we decided to (for the first time EVER) break our no reply rule, and wrote a kind, helpful comment...just letting her know that sometimes returning and re-downloading can help if the file was somehow corrupted, but also that page-skipping is a "known" bug that can happen with Kindles and suggesting she contact Kindle customer support for help. 

We haven't seen a decrease in sales due to the review like we usually do after we get one or two one-stars from readers who legitimately didn't like the book, so I have to think readers take the content of the review into consideration.  The timing sure could have been better, though, right??  ::)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts