Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw the following bit in a post over at the Amazon discussion board,

I recently met a local author at her book signing in our local shop. When she saw I was carrying a Kindle we started talking about her book being Kindleized. Her publisher quickly came over and informed me that Amazon requires them to pretty much GIVE them the electronic copy and then they would receive a part of the sales.
I'll grant it is third hand and may not reflect reality - but I have to wonder about any publisher or even the poster who would find that last bit as shocking in any way.

Yes with DT books a re-seller like Amazon, or a B&M store, would order the specific number of books that they would hope to sell. Then order more when they ran out, etc.

But thinking that would make any sense with electronic books is just delusional.

Part of me suspects that there is just enough of a ring of truth that there are probably some publishers who do cling to that model because it is what they know and the notion of "giving" ::) the electronic version to Amazon rather than selling them a specific number of "electronic copies" - just gives them the vapors.

Welcome to the electronic age, DT publishers. The music industry has had to come to grips with the changes of technology and maybe you need to learn from them and their mistakes.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It would be interesting to know what "type" of publisher her publisher is.

I have a small imprint, Bristlecone Pine Press. The agreement with Amazon is basically...they'll put my books in their global catalog, with all the links, bells and whistles, etc., for free. Every book that sells, I receive 35% and Amazon gets 65%. I suppose some might say they are "giving the book away" but the way I look at is: there is no entry cost to me, no prohibitive barriers, so the payment is fair. I'm not complaining.

"Big" publishers, ie, Random House, have a whole different sales/pricing agreement with Amazon.

Since this author's publisher was following her around in a bookstore (!) I suspect he is one of the little guys, like me.

L

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I don't think the publisher gets it.  It sounds like the publisher thinks Amazon should pay up front for stocking so many downloads.   ??? 
Like Leslie said there is no up front cost like...printing and paper.  It's a whole different thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If the story is true, I really wonder why the publisher would think it would be any other way. Amazon is a storefront; you provide products, and it sells them. In that way of thinking, perhaps the publisher thinks it can provide Amazon with the Word document of a book, then Amazon edits, proofs, prints and binds it before selling. Um... no. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
How could this not be a win win for the publisher?  The electronic version costs them nothing..........and their product reaches a new market.  It might cost them some paperback sales, but I wouldn't think it would be near what they'd make with breaking in to the new market.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
akw4572 said:
How could this not be a win win for the publisher? The electronic version costs them nothing..........and their product reaches a new market. It might cost them some paperback sales, but I wouldn't think it would be near what they'd make with breaking in to the new market.
The electronic edition does cost something: editing, formatting, deployment, etc. So it is not "free." But it is less than printing on paper.

I know many small publishers who do ebooks first. If a title sells enough, that's the point when they will consider bringing out a print version.

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
The electronic edition does cost something: editing, formatting, deployment, etc. So it is not "free." But it is less than printing on paper.
And you don't get stuck with unsold copies.

I know many small publishers who do ebooks first. If a title sells enough, that's the point when they will consider bringing out a print version.

L
That makes sense. There are other media for reading e-books besides Kindle, so there is a fairly large market of people who read them.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
They call non-readers illiterate; what term should we dub the Authors (she whom I shall not mention) and "crew" who choose not educate themselves about the e-reader technology? How it aids so many, who couldn't (though were/are willing) to read otherwise. The Kindle has helped so many overcome challenges by enabling them to re-Kindle their passion for reading.

That alone, should be worth the compromise. These authors, publishers, publicists, etc..., need to get a grip and get over themselves and stop being so selfish. Piracy is all over the internet regardless. Putting your book up for Kindle-readers to enjoy (and you to profit) is so risky compared to someone putting it up on some website or U-Tube. Give me a break. There was a
dumb ass
in the Marley and Me movie videotaping it last night!! Hello?

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
sjc said:
There was a
dumb ass
Really? That's just so WRONG.

If they were in my row I'm pretty sure I'd have had to get up a lot to get popcorn and sodas and use the bathroom.

Plus I'm pretty sure I'd have a coughing fit. Every 10 minutes. ;D

Bet if you told the management they'd have put him out.. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sjc said:
They call non-readers illiterate; what term should we dub the Authors (she whom I shall not mention) and "crew" who choose not educate themselves about the e-reader technology? How it aids so many, who couldn't (though were/are willing) to read otherwise. The Kindle has helped so many overcome challenges by enabling them to re-Kindle their passion for reading.

That alone, should be worth the compromise. These authors, publishers, publicists, etc..., need to get a grip and get over themselves and stop being so selfish. Piracy is all over the internet regardless. Putting your book up for Kindle-readers to enjoy (and you to profit) is so risky compared to someone putting it up on some website or U-Tube. Give me a break. There was a
dumb ass
They just don't seem to realize that by digitizing the books, they are taking back control from the pirates. Sure, there will still be people going for the free pirated version, but the vast majority would buy all of you-know-who's books if they were available; myself included.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i agree with all of this they really have nothing to lose just something to gain in my opinion but what do i know im not a publisher but still just do it already and make us happy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My brother is an author (thinks) - LOL and since I could not get his books without paying heavy duty, he told his publisher he wanted them available for free ebooks.  They did it.  I don't think he makes any money, he just likes to write.  Most of his stuff is about the Marines and their adventures, complete with language, so I have not recommended him.  Some of his stuff is good, some so so.  But it might have to do somewhat what the author tells the agent/publisher to do.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Looking back...I buy far more books now than I did before I get my Kindle. BK....I would get them at the library or 2nd hand bookstore or from a friend. I think the publishing industry is making far more money off me now than they were before!  ;D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Anju said:
My brother is an author (thinks) - LOL and since I could not get his books without paying heavy duty, he told his publisher he wanted them available for free ebooks. They did it. I don't think he makes any money, he just likes to write. Most of his stuff is about the Marines and their adventures, complete with language, so I have not recommended him. Some of his stuff is good, some so so. But it might have to do somewhat what the author tells the agent/publisher to do.
Please give us his name. My husband was a Marine, I think he would enjoy reading them. I wouldn't let cussing hold you back. Maybe just put in a disclaimer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Chad Winters said:
Looking back...I buy far more books now than I did before I get my Kindle. BK....I would get them at the library or 2nd hand bookstore or from a friend. I think the publishing industry is making far more money off me now than they were before! ;D
I'm the same way. Before the kindle, I would buy a lot of secondhand books or books on clearance at the stores. Now, I want to read all my books on my kindle, so I'm more likely to pay more for it and read it on kindle. Plus I'm reading from authors that I hadn't heard of before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Kindle has definitely increased my book purchasing budget.  :eek:

I still try to shop for deals, but it is soo handy having everything available to read in one place.  One- click definitely drained my account budgeted for entertainment.  LOL  I was passing up quite a few books, until I realized how quick the deals poof and even the regular prices can shoot up.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
sebat said:
Please give us his name. My husband was a Marine, I think he would enjoy reading them. I wouldn't let cussing hold you back. Maybe just put in a disclaimer.
Olin Thompson Books - go to the books and there is a link. I did have to send to name @free.kindle.com. If your husband is/was (always is!) a marine then I think he would enjoy them. Once a Marine - always a Marine!

Edit - corrected the e-mail - thanks Leslie, you are sooooo patient with me - :'(

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Anju said:
Olin Thompson Books - go to the books and there is a link. I did have to send to name @kindle.free.com. If your husband is/was (always is!) a marine then I think he would enjoy them. Once a Marine - always a Marine!
I don't have it right here, but isn't the address <name>@free.kindle.com?

Also, if the OP lives somewhere with Whispernet, s/he could also use <name>@kindle.com (Anju, I know that won't work for you.)

L

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Re: the person videotaping...
There was a dumb ass in the Marley and Me movie videotaping it
Plus I'm pretty sure I'd have a coughing fit. Every 10 minutes.
My sister and I did exactly that: we coughed, fake-sneezed, rattled our candy wrappers, etc... I'm sure it made for good footage. The only reason I didn't report him...is I was afraid he'd be waiting for me in the darn parking lot after the movie let out and it was just my sister and I at 10 pm.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts