Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, we Canadians don't have access to Kindles yet, but I've been wondering if those of you who love your Kindles still buy print books? For yourself? As presents? What would prompt you to buy a print book rather than the Kindle version?

Just curious,

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Paperback, no reason to buy anything but kindle version if it's available so I probably will never buy another.

Some of my books with graphs, charts, colors and/or illustrations I will still buy as print books, not that I would be able to find a kindle version of these.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would still buy paperback books...if it was cheaper than the Kindle version. I have always gotten a load of books from half.com so it is hard to beat those prices. Also, not all books are available in Kindle format so if I really wanted a book not in Kindle, I would get it.

Much as I like my Kindle, I can't see ever NOT buying an actual book.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I do buy print books (dtb's, dead tree books) for my grandchildren.  I have also bought books for my youngest daughter and one for myself (not available in Kindle version) that I had been waiting to be released.  I won't do this again, I have found that I don't like to read dtb's anymore, I miss my KK, Aurora. LOL  I will still buy cookbooks and instructional books but not "reading" books.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have bought print books of books I want to keep in the archive. Other than that, I'm pretty much a Kindle convert.

L

(PS, keep hoping Debra, a Kindle will come to Canada soon!)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Kids'  books.  Gift books.  Gardening, art, and anything else that benefits from full-color photography.  Cookbooks, because I write in them, and for the pictures.  Books with maps, charts, or tables.  Textbooks.

And of course those that aren't likely to become available for Kindle anytime soon, and the ones that are significantly cheaper in DTB (sales rack at Borders, etc.)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I still buy DTBs.  Some books I read are not on Kindle yet so I buy from Amazon, half, or any place else I can find a good book deal...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting responses, everybody. Thanks! Clearly, some types of books such as cookbooks and kids' picture books will still sell reasonably well in print, but I'm guessing that paperback novels are going to have a tougher time reaching the sales numbers they're used to as devices like Kindle become more popular.

Which begs the question, does anyone know what percentage of readers are reading most of their books on Kindle or other devices? Any research on this yet?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Debra Purdy Kong said:
Which begs the question, does anyone know what percentage of readers are reading most of their books on Kindle or other devices? Any research on this yet?
No idea, Amazon doesn't release their kindle sales figures. I've seen estimates that they sold 500,000 of the K1 units and people are predicting 1 mil K2s will be sold this year. I believe the kindles have the lions share of the e-reader market right now. What this translates to in e-book sales vs dtb sales I don't know either. Safe to say e-books is still in it's infancy.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I still buy print books.  There are several reasons I would still buy them:

1.  The book is more of a reference book than a novel.  It is annoying to me to have to try to find something I referenced in the Kindle, as I don't like using bookmarks, highlighting, etc.  Also, reference books may have graphs, charts, etc. 

2.  The book is far cheaper in print form than in Kindle format.  If the book is $9.99 on Kindle, but I find it for a dollar or so in print form, I'm getting the print form.

3.  The book is really good, and I want a copy to have even if something happens to my Kindle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I still buy print books.  Mainly paperbacks.  I have some series that I like to keep so I buy those.  I also buy books as gifts since there are several readers in my family.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm a freelance proofreader and needed to purchase a couple of reference books that weren't available on the Kindle, so I ran out to Half Price Books and Borders yesterday.  I hadn't been in a bookstore much since I'd gotten my Kindle in February, and it did remind me how much I missed bookstores -- not necessarily carrying around tons of books, but just seeing the covers in bookstores.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My response would be the same as what the others have said.  I can't pass up a good sale price at Borders, and I love Half Price Books.  I'm currently reading a series and the first six or so books are only in paperback.  I have been getting them at my local small book store. 
There are also books that are so good you want to share them, and of course, I can't do that with my K.  Except with my mom, who has a K also. 
I have bought many books for my grandsons, my kids, other family members. 
deb

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I still buy paperbacks. For school, for others, and for myself. I have my auto-buys. I then usually go through the for-sell books at the library for books that I would like to read myself for extra cheap or books I recommend for others

·
Registered
172 Posts
I buy paper books as gifts regularly. I host a lot of foreign travelers at my house through couchsurfing (google it) and I always give them a Cleveland-themed book as a gift. I also usually give a Cleveland-themed book as a gift to those who host me when I travel.

I also buy paper books when not available for the Kindle. Reference books will continue to be bought in their paper versions. Honestly, and this is a credit to the Kindle, I get the same or better feel reading from the Kindle. While I might enjoy perusing the book store and such, once I'm reading both the book and the Kindle really disappear and I'm just left with story.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will still buy John Grisham books. He's my favorite author and I collect his books in hardback.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have several authors that I have all of their works, so i will continue to buy them, but probably will read on the Kindle.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm not planning on buying another DTB ever, part of the reason I went to the Kindle was I wanted to reclaim a great deal of space in my house.  I'm harassing the authors I love to come out in Kindle format.  I've sold tons of books and look forward to the day my bookcases are pretty much empty. 

There are so many books I want to read I can wait until authors & publishing houses figure out that ebooks are here to stay.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have only bought one new DTB for myself since getting my Kindle last November. I do, however, still purchase books as gifts and I buy old books from my childhood that meant something to me so that I can share those with my grandkids.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts