• Ian Rankin

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi readers and fellow authors,

If you are looking for a fast-paced, twisty, and action-packed slice of noir then try my novel The Gamblers. It starts at breakneck speed, ends with a bang and packs in enough incident and tension along the way to keep even the most jaded reader of crime fiction biting their fingernails! The plot revolves around the build up, execution and aftermath of a double heist that involves a lot of drug money. It isn't one for the cosy crowd (I will warn you now - it's violent and the characters swear a lot), but if you're an Elmore Leonard or Jim Thompson fan then I think you'll get a real kick out of it.

You can get this big, complex thriller for only 99p in the UK (normally £1.99) and $0.99 in the US (normally $2.99) for the rest of November. A bargain, even if I do say so myself.

Here are a couple of reviews from the US Amazon page:

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, crazy story
By Heath Lowrance (Detroit)

Kandinsky is a hardcore gambling addict and loser who owes far more than he can repay to loan shark. He's a guy who's screwed from the get-go. But when he overhears a plan to rob a drug dealer, he convinces himself and his friends--who are even bigger losers than him--that they can pull off a miracle. THE GAMBLERS is a sprawling, complicated novel with lots of intriguing characters, a great sense of humor, and a beautifully constructed sense of impending doom. The large cast are all tied together in really clever ways that you wouldn't suspect, and as each of their personal sagas play out, and wind closer together, you're left slightly amazed that Stanley is able to pull it off. It's a very well-structured novel, but Stanley's real strength is the depth and believability of his characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mutant son of "The French Connection"
By Mets6986 (New York, NY)

When William Friedkin's movie version of "The French Connection" came out in 1971, it raised the bar for depictions of grittiness and nastiness in the drug underworld. A lot has come along since then, but after finishing "The Gamblers" by Martin Stanley, this is the closest parallel for me.

The hero of "The French Connection" -- Popeye Doyle -- was not especially sympathetic. Neither is the protagonist of "The Gamblers," Kandinsky. In fact, he's a dreadful human being who's trying vainly to redeem himself by the worst means possible. He's surrounded by a huge array of even more loathsome characters, yet some of them (such as Liam the dealer and Dave the ultra-dirty cop) still engage gleams of sympathy as they try to keep their lives on track amid chaos.

The subject matter here is not everyone's cup of tea. The violence is pulverizing (and the raunch factor is very, very high). But I stayed up well past my bedtime last night to finish this because I was compelled to see how it turned out. The intricate web of deceits and double-crosses plays out really well. Every time you think things can't get worse, they do. And the atmosphere -- with a big hand from the regional English locations and accents -- is very rich.

US Link UK link

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Martin, and congratulations on your book!

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. As such, self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--Here's a review of The Gamblers by Heath Lowrance, acclaimed author of 'The Bastard Hand' and 'Dig Ten Graves'--

"THE GAMBLERS - Martin Stanley: Kandinsky is a hardcore gambling addict and loser who owes far more than he can repay to loan shark. He's a guy who's screwed from the get-go. But when he overhears a plan to rob a drug dealer, he convinces himself and his friends-who are even bigger losers than him-that they can pull off a miracle. THE GAMBLERS is a sprawling, complicated novel with lots of intriguing characters, a great sense of humor, and a beautifully constructed sense of impending doom. The large cast are all tied together in really clever ways that you wouldn't suspect, and as each of their personal sagas play out, and wind closer together, you're left slightly amazed that Stanley is able to pull it off. It's a very well-structured novel, but Stanley's real strength is the depth and believability of his characters."

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an excerpt from The Gamblers

Dave woke with a groan. He tried to touch his face, which was in excruciating pain, but realised that he couldn't. His hands were bound to a radiator in the corner of the room with handcuffs. He attempted to stand up, but his legs had been bound with rope. Despite several attempts at wriggling his legs, the ropes that bound him were too tight and movement was impossible. He looked around.

Dark curtains had been drawn, reducing the room to shadows. As his eyes adjusted to the lack of light he realised he was in the living room. The place smelled of old takeaways and strong booze. Dave tried to wriggle his legs again, realised he couldn't and then opened his mouth to scream.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you."

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If any readers or authors fancy chatting about their crime genre and noir recommendations I would be glad to read them. In addition to being a writer, I am foremost an avid reader and would love to hear recommendations about authors you have read, whether indie or otherwise, or even your own novel - if you think it's dark enough  ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gamblers has finally done better in August than July, thank Heavens. Let's see if we can sell a few more copies this months and see if we can top my best month. Trust me, it's a cracking little tale with a storming ending.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As things have worked out, after a dreadful start August has ended up being a half-decent month - certainly not my best, but considerably better than my worst too. I'm hoping that things will pick up even more in September.

By the way, do any of you good folks have any crime thriller recommendations on Kindle? I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Definitely a well-written book. And a steal at that price. Hope you have lots of sales.

I'm not in Martin's target audience, but I still found the tale compelling. Anyone who has a taste for darker fiction will likely enjoy "The Gamblers".

1 - 20 of 60 Posts