Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting around Amazon and found a one star review that I couldn't believe.

Not read it yet, January 2, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I have not read it yet. Will rate it when finish reading it. Still reading it reading it reading it

So one star for a book they're waiting to read? Wow! That sets a new precedent. But then I clicked on the reviewers profile only to discover she's also an author (with Publish America, so I'm not sure if that qualifies as indie or not). All I could do was shake my head. I can see some insensitive troll doing something like that, but another author? I've suddenly got the urge to read her book and give her a big fat one star review until I finish it, if I finish it. Maybe I'm off here, but this has got me steamed.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Amazon probably sent her an email asking her to review the book.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I think Amazon needs to change their wording of the email they send out.

Right now it says something like "how many stars would you give ..." and I think people feel that they are required to leave a review or the mighty ZON will kick their puppy. Or delete their book or something.

Should have something there that says "but only if you, like, totally feel you want to, no pressure, eh?"

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This strikes me as kind of a WHOA thread. Also, what's the purpose in posting the reviewer's author page and website? It looks sort of like an invitation for retaliation. As much as I agree that a one-star review is not appropriate, I would imagine that Zoe's speculation is right, and that the reviewer was responding to an Amazon review-this-please email. She may be a newbie who doesn't realize that stars matter. I find it unlikely that it was meant maliciously. It looks more like an ignorance of how the review system works to me.

I think the best way to respond to this would be simply to click the "report abuse" button, and not worry about it otherwise.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
OK, folks, the WHOA* klaxon went off....

Links and other identifying info have been edited out of the initial post.

Betsy

*What happens on Amazon stays on Amazon

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've gotten those emails too, but I read somewhere those star ratings weren't visible on the main Amazon page, that they went somewhere else. Even so, if I had to give a star rating, even as a placeholder, why not 3 or 4 or 5 stars? Why 1? Especially from a fellow author.

Oh, this was not meant to be malicious in anyway, I can assure you. The threads were included simply to back up what I found. If someone had showed this to me, I'm not sure I'd believe it unless I saw a link to the authors page. I'm happy to edit out any 'incriminating' evidence. I certainly wasn't trying to get the author in trouble.

Anyway, I may send her an email to let her know in case some of you are right about her 'not knowing'.

Another growing trend I've seen, and I'm not sure if anyone else has caught it. One star reviews from people raving about how much they loved the book. Did they misclick or were they trolling?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
While it's possible the reviewer didn't know better, I don't think that's the case. They have read and rated about a dozen items prior to this review, giving one a 2 star review and giving reasons why they didn't like it. To me, that shows the person *knows* the value of the star rating. Maybe they weren't thinking when they posted the review, but the book it's posted on has no other one-star reviews so hopefully it won't hurt it too much.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
olefish said:
why don't you just report the review and move on?
I'm not the OP but Amazon won't do anything about a review like that. I think some education to reviewers would accomplish more, but I think it has to come from Amazon. Like others have said, maybe re-wording the email would help. I know other readers have responded saying they haven't read the book yet and give it one star while saying that. It does make me wonder why they always pick one star though.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
MaryMcDonald said:
I'm not the OP but Amazon won't do anything about a review like that. I think some education to reviewers would accomplish more, but I think it has to come from Amazon. Like others have said, maybe re-wording the email would help. I know other readers have responded saying they haven't read the book yet and give it one star while saying that. It does make me wonder why they always pick one star though.
Because they are annoyed that they are being "forced" to review.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.