Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else read/or reading George R.R. Martin's epic fantasy series, "A Song of Fire and Ice".  I'm debating on diving into a reread of the series.  I have read it once, best series I have ever read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, how do you like it so far?  How do you think it compares with other series you have read, and have you read anything you would consider "similar"?
 
G

·
akw4572 said:
Great, how do you like it so far? How do you think it compares with other series you have read, and have you read anything you would consider "similar"?
Hrmmm... I'll answer the second question first. No, I have never encountered anything similar. The closest I can come is to say that Martin's extreme detail on clothing, coats-of-arms and descriptions of jousts is vaguely reminiscent of Le Morte d'Arthur.

As for the series itself--it's very compelling, though it is so padded out with excess verbiage and eighty trillion names that you'll never remember that at times it feels as much like homework as it does fiction.

That being said, I've already purchased Crows and will see the series through to the end. But for pure enjoyment, give me Martin's Fevre Dream any time. ;)
 
G

·
Holy crap!

Robb, Catelyn and Arya all died withinin two chapters, on the verge of their being reunited!

Why the hell am I reading these books? All the good guys die horrible deaths!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Yea, I'm necroposting but for a good reason. :) Today on the way home, my 2.5 year old looks at Harmakhet and I and says "Winter is coming". We busted out laughing. We have got to get that recorded!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Holy crap!

Robb, Catelyn and Arya all died withinin two chapters, on the verge of their being reunited!

Why the hell am I reading these books? All the good guys die horrible deaths!
I think that is one of my favortie things about him... he is not scared of killing off good guys.

BTW - you are wrong on one of those deaths

I really, realy enjoy this serious - can't wait for the next 2 (or is it 3?) books. Another great series is Steven Erikison's Malazan series, unfortately, it is not kindlized yet, but at least he writes faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
TM said:
BTW - you are wrong on one of those deaths
I thought he was wrong on one of the deaths, too, but it's been a while since I have read these books, so wasn't sure.

I'll be re-reading when the next book is closer to being published. I like to re-read series to prepare (and remember) for the next book in the series. :)
 
G

·
Yes, I know what you two are saying.  But we don't discover I was wrong until several chapters later.  I posted that before that discovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
"Why the hell am I reading these books?  All the good guys die horrible deaths!"

oops, i cant read it now ;)
 
G

·
Bullymom said:
Actually you're wrong on two of those deaths! (reading feast of crows right now)
I don't think so.

If you mean Catelyn, she DID die. But has been brought back to life by that priest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I don't think so.

If you mean Catelyn, she DID die. But has been brought back to life by that priest.
Yep. Jim is right...

And I forgot that it had been left so that some
might think Arya was dead for a few chapters in the midst of that "party"
 
G

·
TM said:
Yep. Jim is right...

And I forgot that it had been left so that some
might think Arya was dead for a few chapters in the midst of that "party"
The chapter ends with The Hound hitting Arya in the back of the head with a sword. It's not for several chapters that we find out he used the flat of his blade. And there was certainly no reason for us to think he would have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
Love this series! Well, OK, the first 3 books, anyway. Everytime I try to do a re-read, I stop short in A Game of Thrones,
right before Ned dies. I think that was the hardest death to read b/c I really didn't think GRRM would do it!
If and when the 5th book is ready, I'll do some combination of re-reading and reading summaries. It's been so long I can't remember much of what happened in A Feast for Crows.

N :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
The chapter ends with The Hound hitting Arya in the back of the head with a sword. It's not for several chapters that we find out he used the flat of his blade. And there was certainly no reason for us to think he would have.
The Hound actually had no reason to kill her, plus he is actually a decent guy in a way. Also, it was not really detailed... with GRRM, unless more details of the death are given, likely they weren't killed. of course, even once dead, they donlt always stay dead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Love this series! Well, OK, the first 3 books, anyway. Everytime I try to do a re-read, I stop short in A Game of Thrones,
right before Ned dies. I think that was the hardest death to read b/c I really didn't think GRRM would do it!
If and when the 5th book is ready, I'll do some combination of re-reading and reading summaries. It's been so long I can't remember much of what happened in A Feast for Crows.

N :)
I really lov it too. When I read that scene
where Ned was executed
I knew i was really going to love the whole series. I like a book where the main characters/heros can actually die and that almost everyone is a grey character, complex... no one is 100% good or bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
i'm reading the series too, currently in Feast for Crows.  it's a great read, but sometimes hard to read - no character is safe.

Save the date:  "A Dance of Dragons" (book 5) comes out September 29, 2009!  Gee, I wonder what's gonna happen there...   ::)

has anyone read his Hedge Knight series?  It's a prequel series but in graphic novel form so no go for kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
hazeldazel said:
i'm reading the series too, currently in Feast for Crows. it's a great read, but sometimes hard to read - no character is safe.

Save the date: "A Dance of Dragons" (book 5) comes out September 29, 2009! Gee, I wonder what's gonna happen there... ::)

has anyone read his Hedge Knight series? It's a prequel series but in graphic novel form so no go for kindle.
I hope the date is real! I was disappointed so many times by false dates for Book 4! It will be very nice to read these door-stoppers on the Kindle!

I have the first Hedge Knight graphic novel. It was quite good and sent me digging into the Appendix in the novels to figure out how the characters were related to the history of Westeros. I'm thinking about buying the second one...haven't gotten around to it yet.

N :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I have also heard great things about this series. Since everyone here seems to like it so much, I might give it a read on my K2 when it comes it :)
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top