Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Holy crap!

Robb, Catelyn and Arya all died withinin two chapters, on the verge of their being reunited!

Why the hell am I reading these books? All the good guys die horrible deaths!
I think that is one of my favortie things about him... he is not scared of killing off good guys.

BTW - you are wrong on one of those deaths

I really, realy enjoy this serious - can't wait for the next 2 (or is it 3?) books. Another great series is Steven Erikison's Malazan series, unfortately, it is not kindlized yet, but at least he writes faster!

· Registered
690 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I don't think so.

If you mean Catelyn, she DID die. But has been brought back to life by that priest.
Yep. Jim is right...

And I forgot that it had been left so that some
might think Arya was dead for a few chapters in the midst of that "party"

· Registered
690 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
The chapter ends with The Hound hitting Arya in the back of the head with a sword. It's not for several chapters that we find out he used the flat of his blade. And there was certainly no reason for us to think he would have.
The Hound actually had no reason to kill her, plus he is actually a decent guy in a way. Also, it was not really detailed... with GRRM, unless more details of the death are given, likely they weren't killed. of course, even once dead, they donlt always stay dead

· Registered
690 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Love this series! Well, OK, the first 3 books, anyway. Everytime I try to do a re-read, I stop short in A Game of Thrones,
right before Ned dies. I think that was the hardest death to read b/c I really didn't think GRRM would do it!
If and when the 5th book is ready, I'll do some combination of re-reading and reading summaries. It's been so long I can't remember much of what happened in A Feast for Crows.

N :)
I really lov it too. When I read that scene
where Ned was executed
I knew i was really going to love the whole series. I like a book where the main characters/heros can actually die and that almost everyone is a grey character, complex... no one is 100% good or bad.

· Registered
690 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Welllll..... "Like" is a pretty subjective word. Some love it. Some like it. Some endure it for the good stuff and want to shoot themselves partway through the series.

If you want a grand 5-to-8-part epic, you could do a lot worse. You could also find a lot more readable and interesting. Good guys die. A LOT. Martin continually uses 57 words where six would suffice. There is great plotting and story buried under metric tons of pointless detail. There is humor, but it is mostly as dry as Lucy's bones.

It is an amazing series. But those who claim it as the "greatest series ever" simply have not read enough books.

And, there's the fact that you'll be waiting at least another decade for the series to be finished.
or mayber they just have different tastes than yours... and a lot of what you dislike about it, is what others of us adore. But hey, that is why all sorts of books sell...

Arkhan said:
I actually have both of these sets in Hardback. So far I have only read the first Erikison book. I like these types of stories but they are not what I call my "casual" reading. Like someone else said it is kind of like good homework, though much more enjoyable. There are so many names and things going on in the story. If you don't pay real close attention you will get lost.
Finally, someone who has heard of the Erikson series! I really enjoy them... but as you said, they aren;t exactly casual reading ... but that is what i treasure about them. there are tons of good fantasy out their that is light reading, but not so many of the other style. And I like books that make ya think.

· Registered
690 Posts
Arkhan said:
I have to admit that the covers really sold me on this one. I actually saw a cover in the store for The Bonehunters and the picture of the stage coach falling over was intriguing to me. Then I saw The Reapers Gale and started some research. After that I immediately went out and bought all 7 in harback and reserved the 8th. Gardens of the Moon was exciting when it wasn't confusing. I was already reading Terry Brooks at the time and I had to let one of them go. I still haven't finished Brooks first trilogy. I probably should have went with Erikson instead.

Back on topic, I just got all of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books last month. Haven't had a chance to start on them. I need to clear out the three I have open right now but honestly, my next choice for non-casual reading will probably be Erikson.
Actually, I think that Erikson is probably a better choice for your next serious read anyway (if for nothing else then there are a lot more of them out right now, and he is good at putting new ones out in a reasonable time frame). The world/story line in the two series are very different, yet there are strong similiarities in the overal feel of the series... both are gritty, no black and white, even good guys die (that is if ya can even figure out who is a good guy)...and they do share a somewaht similiar theme/worldview. They are my two favorite series for serious, make ya think, fantasy.

Just with Erikson, it is tempting to jump around... but you really do have to read them in order. And something that you make be confused about in one book, is usually explained books later. he is great at making connections in later books...

· Registered
690 Posts
Arkhan said:
I just can't decide if I want to reread Gardens of the Moon. The overall story in the book I have. It is some of the interactions between characters I am not so sure about. Of course I am not sure that rereading is really going to clear any of those questions up. The good/evil thing definitely applies to him. I actually had to go back and read the first battle again because I wasn't sure who was really "good" or "bad". Then the whole "Doll" & different dimensions thing just left me thinking WTF!! Just thinking about it now makes me laugh because the story gets so bizarre in parts. He certainly thinks up things I haven't seen before. It's like Epic Fantasy in Wonderland.

I think Erikson would be better accepted if his transition was smooth taking you along with him yet that same complexity is what keeps you on your toes.
LOL! You describe him well... and I can say that some of that will become clearer after your read future books, but then more will confuse you.

Re-reading is a must with his books, but I am not sure it will help you now. It is after reading more in the series that i went back and re-read... and saw things I didn't quite catch before.

I just really wish they would get this into kindle format (Reaper's Gale is, but in the dreaded topaz format)....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.