Kindle Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Forster said:
I absolutely love this series........

.....but I am seriously getting impatient for the books to come out. Way, way too much time in between volumes, so much time in fact that I'm starting to fear the possibility that Mr. Martin will end up pulling a Robert Jordan.
I did buy the bundle with the first two books but haven't started it yet. I'm waiting for my concentration levels to go up before I start...I'm gathering from this discussion that it's a lot to keep track of...

Who is Robert Jordan and what happened?

· Registered
4,862 Posts
Robert Jordan is the author of the massive Wheel of Time series.  Was supposed to be a trilogy originally (I think), and it was at around 11 books when he died unexpectedly before finishing it. Brandon Sanderson is finishing it, was supposed to be one final book, is now looking to be 3 books.

Oh, and it's all taking longer than expected too.  The WOT series started in 1990...

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Steph H said:
Robert Jordan is the author of the massive Wheel of Time series. Was supposed to be a trilogy originally (I think), and it was at around 11 books when he died unexpectedly before finishing it. Brandon Sanderson is finishing it, was supposed to be one final book, is now looking to be 3 books.

Oh, and it's all taking longer than expected too. The WOT series started in 1990...
It's never the same though when another author takes over...look at the books by VC Andrews :eek:

· Registered
48 Posts
This is a great series of books!  Very long though, it reads like a violent fantasy soap opera.  I've been waiting for the final book to be completed.  Apparently, it is 3 years past it's promised completion.  I guess George R.R. Martin is notorious for this kind of delay.  And don't pester him about it either, he has been getting pretty testy about this issue in his blogs.

Though, one great thing I heard was that the first book, A Game of Thrones, will be turned into an HBO mini-series.  And the great character of Tyrion will be played by Peter Dinklage.  Can't wait!!!!!    ;D

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Steph H said:
Oh, and it's all taking longer than expected too. The WOT series started in 1990...
To put it in perspective for me, my daughter was 1 and my boys were not yet born when the 1st book came out. My daughter is just finishing up her soph year in college, my older son is grad HS in a few weeks and my youngest will be a Jr in HS next year. But to be fair I did give up on the WOT series at about book 7, I just hope I don't have to do the same thing with a Song of Fire and Ice.

· Registered
193 Posts
Ok now you all have me curious.  But I'm brain dumping right now and can't figure out what's first, second, and so on.  Let me know so I can begin a good read.  Any author that has folks throwing books is worth a read.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Here are the 1st two books in one Kindle version for a bargain price:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings

Just don't throw your Kindle when you're done. ;D

Edit: There are a lot more reviews for the regular books, but I found the one-star book review for this version to be rather humorous. The book obviously had an emotional impact on the reader, he/she just didn't like the impact. That is what I look for in a book something to move me doesn't matter whether I feel outrage/disgust or joy just make me feel something.

· Registered
8 Posts
This is my all time favorite series and I read/have read alot of books in this genre.  I just wish it wouldn't take him so long to write them.

One thing I especially like is that the characters grow and change and you come to like or dislike characters throughout the books.  I hated Jaime at first, but he's become one of my favorites.  Sansa was much the same.   My favorites are Jon, Dany, Arya Tyrion, and Sam.  Even the secondary characters can capture your imagination.

It's not your typical fantasy series.  I'm looking forward to the HBO series.

· Registered
319 Posts
I love me some Song of Ice and Fire! I was in the process of re-re-reading the series this past winter when my parents gave me a Kindle, and you can bet these were four of the first books I bought for it! The advantages of the Kindle were incredibly obvious when I switched from the doorstop-sized A Game of Thrones (I was reading the large-format paperback version, so it really was enormous) to the slim, trim Kindle.

One of my pet peeves when it comes to reading is going out somewhere, bringing a book (especially one in a series), and then finishing it while I'm away from home... I either have to wait until I get home to continue reading, or I have to lug along a second book. This was definitely the case with A Song of Ice and Fire, and I was an instant Kindle convert when I realized that I could carry the entire series with me in one device.

Now, as to when book four: part two comes out... sigh. I follow GRRM's "Not A Blog," and it's really frustrating to see him posting on LiveJournal when the book's so far past multiple deadlines. I know he has a life and he doesn't have to work on A Dance with Dragons twenty-four/seven just to make me happy, but the note at the end of A Feast for Crows made it sound as though the second part was all but finished and would be published soon... and that was in, what, 2006? I, too, worry that the series won't see completion at this point. I hate to sound like a whiner, but I wouldn't care so much if I didn't love the story and the characters (even those I love to hate... although, as lilliew mentioned, one of my favorite parts of the series is how characters -- or, at the very least, your perception of them -- change as time goes on, and characters that I disliked at first are now some of my favorites). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see A Dance with Dragons this year!

In the meantime, my husband and I don't have so much as broadcast television, but I'm definitely curious about the upcoming HBO series. They've already cast Tyrion!

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't have HBO either. I hope they come out on netflix. By the time he finally comes out with the next book I'm going to have to reread the series again. Though I don't find that a hardship. I really enjoyed it. Like others, I've been waiting 7 years for the next in the series.

theresam

· Registered
14,747 Posts
I, like many others, have been both enthralled and outraged by this series, I can't get enough of it, but the last part was missing what I wanted most. Well, the next book is slated for September and hopefully it will be Kindlized fast.

Edward C. Patterson
In a love/hate relationship with Martin

· Registered
1,551 Posts
edwpat said:
I, like many others, have been both enthralled and outraged by this series, I can't get enough of it, but the last part was missing what I wanted most. Well, the next book is slated for September and hopefully it will be Kindlized fast.

Edward C. Patterson
In a love/hate relationship with Martin
and then another 7 years for the next book after that. He's past soo many deadlines, I'm hoping / crossing fingers that this one actually does come out in September. If not I'm just going to say - they all lived happily ever after LOL.

theresam

· Registered
1,417 Posts
bkworm8it said:
and then another 7 years for the next book after that. He's past soo many deadlines, I'm hoping / crossing fingers that this one actually does come out in September. If not I'm just going to say - they all lived happily ever after LOL.

theresam
But they won't. ;D

And I'm not holding my breath for a September release.

· Registered
102 Posts
I like that 1-star review too! Yes, it shows the person was obviously impacted by the book.

Forster said:
And I'm not holding my breath for a September release.
I'm not holding my breath either... I think last year Amazon had a release date too and on Martin's blog he was like "yah, I have no idea where they got that release date from."

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.