Kindle Forum banner

A theory on Whack-A-Mole Freeloader Reviews

2K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Terrence OBrien 
#1 ·
I think they honestly believe that giving a review is their way of "paying" for the book.

They have to do it fast, though, because they downloaded 99 other top 100 freebies today, and they all deserve a sentence or two.

This happens every time I do a giveaway. My weirdest reviews are always from freeloaders who picked it up the same day. During my most recent free period, I had an amusing batch of totally nonsensical reviews based entirely on the "click to look inside" portion. My personal favorite was "I guess you have to be a dr Who fan to appreciate this book. Was not impressed." (Ahem - the book in question is a Doctor Who cookbook, complete with a sonic screwdriver on the cover.) A few days after the free period, I'm getting lovely reviews from people who actually read and liked the book.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern?

#27 ·
Tracy Leach said:
Nope, not aimed at you. :D

It's just, I lurk here a lot, and recently I've seen thread after thread of authors either complaining about reviews or making fun of reviewers. This thread kind of tipped me into saying something. I want to let some of you know that even though you don't see us commenting, we're here and we're reading what you're saying. And yeah, we agree that some reviewers are unpleasant/insensitive/plain ol' don't read descriptions, but name-calling or making snide comments about the way we read or review isn't particularly nice either. Just a thought. Especially to the OP with their 'freeloader' term.
You might want to keep in mind that we have been getting a lot of rather strange reviews lately.

I have now lost count of my "I haven't read this book yet" reviews. :eek:

I don't exactly blame the "reviewer"--in quotes because you can't review a novel you haven't read and they really aren't trying to. Obviously, Amazon's recent emails have gotten a bit over the top, but it is the author who pays the cost.

I have never received "bizarre" reviews after giving away novels ("giving away" is my phrase for it :D ), by the way. And I don't even mind people who don't like the novels or review after starting one and decide that they hate it. But "I haven't read this but Amazon says I have to post a review" does bug me a bit.

#28 ·
I do think all those Amazon Please Review emails pissoff some people. If anything I understand the frustration with these people. And it is just not Amazon. Recently I notice nearly anywhere I buy or get something online wants a review.

That is in addition to them pitching me more products they think I'll want to buy. I don't read Romance--but Amazon sends me emails about Romance books to consider. Or YA?

I think some throw up any review just to cut back on the emails.

#29 ·
I'm not sure what others feel about the "What did you think..." emails from Ammy. They don't bother me when I see them in my inbox (for games my son buys for his Fire). I just delete them. I'm thankful for the "reviews" I've been getting (many of them almost certainly as a result of these emails). Most are two or three sentences and are minimally informative to customers seeking more substance. I also feel a bit chagrined that so many are the only review from so many. Nevertheless, it's nice to see my review numbers climbing the way they are.

*shrugs*

I may feel differently if/when I start getting less flattering ratings, but for now they haven't hurt.

#30 ·
1: Reviews that complain about a book because it was exactly what it is described to be only serve to influence your target market to download or buy. Don't worry about them.
2: Cherish the positive reviews from completely random strangers who liked it and were kind enough to write a review. There's no other feeling like that in the world.
3: The bad reviews unlike #1, take what you can (constructive criticism) and get back to work. Your books won't write themselves. :)

#32 ·
"People have all sorts of reasons to write reviews, and for the most part, they are valid reasons. If this bothers you, you can always stop doing freebies."
Anything published to the whole world is fair game for anyone to comment, criticize, or offer great thoughts. That includes books, reviews, articles, and blogs. It doesn't matter if the reason for writing was valid or invalid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.