Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone broken down one of their series books into a mini-series but kept it in the main series?

I have several books in my series. Four of them. Book 5 is out but I've titled it differently. What I want to do is pull it under the same series title. I have ten books planned.

Is subtitling the new books as volumes the way to go?
i.e. MINI SERIES TITLE (Volume 1 of SERIES TITLE, Book 5).

Or can I write the bracketed part better??

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've never done something like that myself, and as a reader, I can only think of a few examples. Brandon Sanderson has a fantasy series (Mistborn) that spans different time periods, so there are shorter series within the longer series, but I don't think it's obvious where the breaks are or what the groupings are unless you look it up (I don't think he's really indicated this in a clear way in the book info or titles themselves). Another example is the Warriors series (middle grade cat books), of which there are a great many, and they're broken into shorter series with their own series titles. From what I can see of them, they seem to stick to the mini-series title as the series title when sorting/organizing. I haven't read them, but looking at the listings on Audible, it looks like those start with a series called "Warriors" then have sequel series called "Warriors: (series title)", so it's clear they're all related but not what order the different series should be read in.

None of the things that stores or readers use are really set up to sort or organize for series-within-series. For what you're describing, it sounds like you might have a series where, for example, books 1-4 have a title "John Doe and the (fill in the blank)" and then books 5-8 have the title "Jane Smith and the (fill in the blank)". Or some other obvious naming trend that could group certain books together in the reader's mind. I think that might be the best way to indicate series within a series or story arcs within a series.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShawnaReads said:
I've never done something like that myself, and as a reader, I can only think of a few examples. Brandon Sanderson has a fantasy series (Mistborn) that spans different time periods, so there are shorter series within the longer series, but I don't think it's obvious where the breaks are or what the groupings are unless you look it up (I don't think he's really indicated this in a clear way in the book info or titles themselves). Another example is the Warriors series (middle grade cat books), of which there are a great many, and they're broken into shorter series with their own series titles. From what I can see of them, they seem to stick to the mini-series title as the series title when sorting/organizing. I haven't read them, but looking at the listings on Audible, it looks like those start with a series called "Warriors" then have sequel series called "Warriors: (series title)", so it's clear they're all related but not what order the different series should be read in.

None of the things that stores or readers use are really set up to sort or organize for series-within-series. For what you're describing, it sounds like you might have a series where, for example, books 1-4 have a title "John Doe and the (fill in the blank)" and then books 5-8 have the title "Jane Smith and the (fill in the blank)". Or some other obvious naming trend that could group certain books together in the reader's mind. I think that might be the best way to indicate series within a series or story arcs within a series.
Thanks for pointing me to Warriors. 'Original Series' is definitely a clear approach. It would be easy for me to solve the problem with my new series by simply using the short title I already have and name it Books 1, 2, etc. A completely new series related to the first and still running series by keeping the key phrase in the title. The trouble is, another author has used that phrase to brand their website. We have been in communication. I admire their work and don't want to upset them. And, unbelievably, I didn't know they had a website using the phrase.

My use of it is as an adjective phrase I can add a subject to. That is how I came to decide on it in the first place. I have already placed my author name in front of the phrase to make the series title. That seems to have it sorted. Only now with this new 'mini-series' is looking like it will work out to be ten books I don't want to have them take over the original series, because these ten are all tightly focused on a specific subject, breaking it into parts. BTW this is nonfiction.

I was thinking XXXX + Phrase + Volume 1 (XXXX Phrase Series, Book 5). After that XXXX + Phrase + Volume 2 (XXXX Phrase Series, Book 5) etc.

I use 'Volume' because each book is actually organized around several chapters, each a different example of the subject. Still seems clumsy to me. I would prefer subject + Phrase... but I need to precede the phrase with my author name in the bracketed part just to firmly distinguish my use of the phrase from that of the author's ( who hasn't got books using the phrase at issue in the title but who is quite sensitive about the use of it). Now it's getting ridiculously long.

My series is established and I don't want to give up the use of the phrase.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And with that last post of mine I can see my question has become a little too tricky for the experts. ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts