Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone...I'm new to Kindleboards, but I'm very glad to be here.
Since this is a thread specifically dedicated to bargain books, I've got one for you!

Title:  Elfhunter
From Award-winning Author C.S. Marks:

What if…
Your home, your family, your very life was threatened by something that was sworn to destroy everything you hold dear?

What if – without realizing it -- you were helping this ‘thing’?

This is the tale of the terrible, unfathomable creature known as the ‘Elfhunter’, and Wood-elven heroine Gaelen Taldin, who pursues him across the fast-paced, character driven pages of this three-volume series.

Gaelen vows to rid her world of the Elfhunter--even as she is hunted by him--drawing readers of all ages into an epic fantasy that blurs the line between Light and Darkness, love and obsession, free will and fate.

Best Fantasy 2008; Best Series 2009 (Reviewer’s Choice)

Special price--ONLY 99 cents in May!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Elfhunter is easily one of the best fantasy books I've read. The fact that this series has been winning awards should speak volumes about its quality. A great book even for people who don't normally read fantasy. Highly recommended!

BTW, I noticed that Amazon has not yet merged the customer reviews onto the kindle page. If anyone wants to read the customer reviews for Elfhunter before purchasing it, they should visit this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Elfhunter-Tale-Alterra-World-That/dp/1420894609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241895922&sr=8-1

·
Registered
59 Posts
I downloaded the sample and bought it as soon as I got to the end. I look forward to the next books being available for the Kindle. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the posts, everyone.  This is a pretty cool place! I'm startin' to get the hang of it. To all who have purchased (or are thinking about it), thanks! The second book in the series should be up on Kindle soon.

C. S. (not C.J.) Marks
(Known as 'Archer' to my online friends)

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

But......

I would make the following observations:
The next two books are NOT available for the Kindle.
The next two books are available on Amazon as (paperback).
The next two books are discounted to over $20 each for paperback.
Far more established authors works are under $10 for paperback.
I would have to think many months before considering shelling out $23 and $21 for anyone's paperback book.

I am sorry to seem negative....
I really did enjoy the first book, which by the way is still available for $.99 on Amazon now in July.
C.S. Marks did a nice job of dropping in and telling us about the great pricing on that first book.
And promptly dissappeared.
Hopefully she is Kindleizing the other two books.
But I will not purchase them for the kind of cost that the paperbacks are asking.
There are too many terrific authors here on KB alone with works that scream to be read for less.
And there are too many established authors with hardback copies out there that cost much less for the Kindle work.

Too bad, I liked the work.  It WAS a long book (get your money's worth in volume).

Just sayin......

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, Geoff:

I hear you! Unfortunately, I have already done everything possible to keep my cover prices low in paperback editions. My royalty percentage is as low as I can make it (embarrassingly low. Ha!) and I tried to keep page count down. Regrettably, POD printing costs of my 'furniture' (the three books together constitute a small credenza) make it tough. KINDLE is a Godsend. I am putting the next two books on as soon as new editions are ready! Should be ready in the next week or so. Keep on looking for them, and I WILL announce their arrival.  They'll be inexpensive, too, so fear not!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed Elfhunter.  I have been stuck into the first book in the next Alterran series, and have not spent NEARLY enough time on Kindleboards. Too many things to do, and not enough time to do them.

Please let me know how it goes once the next two are available.  They sure ought to be worth a buck apiece, eh! :)

C.S. (NOT C. J.) Marks

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Archer,
Thanks for coming back to the boards.
I want to make it very clear that I enjoyed (maybe loved) your first book Elfhunter.
I think you have done a terrific job.

And I would willingly pay much more than the $.99 for the next two books on Kindle.

All talented people should be nurtured.

·
Registered
501 Posts
archer said:
Hi, Geoff:

I hear you! Unfortunately, I have already done everything possible to keep my cover prices low in paperback editions. My royalty percentage is as low as I can make it (embarrassingly low. Ha!) and I tried to keep page count down. Regrettably, POD printing costs of my 'furniture' (the three books together constitute a small credenza) make it tough. KINDLE is a Godsend. I am putting the next two books on as soon as new editions are ready! Should be ready in the next week or so. Keep on looking for them, and I WILL announce their arrival. They'll be inexpensive, too, so fear not!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed Elfhunter. I have been stuck into the first book in the next Alterran series, and have not spent NEARLY enough time on Kindleboards. Too many things to do, and not enough time to do them.

Please let me know how it goes once the next two are available. They sure ought to be worth a buck apiece, eh! :)

C.S. (NOT C. J.) Marks
VERY glad to hear that both of the next books in the series is coming to Kindle soon! I'll buy both as soon as they're available!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chad:

May they prove worthy of your esteem!
I live in hope (of the $10 POD). Meanwhile, the electronic gizmos are a nice alternative! As an author, I don't really care HOW a reader accesses my work. That's why I love to donate to libraries. But, you're right...the paperbacks are pricey and there's little we can do to help that. I discount the books as much as I can at conventions, etc. (next stop--GenCon Indy!). But I still have to charge $12 for Elfhunter...that's what I have to pay for it.

I almost have enough expertise to do a complete DIY. I have complete empathy with readers--there are only so many book-buying dollars, and far too many books competing for them. Trouble with a full DIY is the time involved. Sometimes, I need help. ;-)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I am really glad that Geoff and the others have chimed in on Elfhunter. Elfhunter is the model Kindle book that disproves the idea that bargain books are of lesser quality than more expensive books. To the contrary, not only is Elfhunter a superlatively written book, it also is also of an admirable length which means that the reader is getting far more than thier money's worth. Elfhunter, in my opinion, is one of the only fantasy books that I have ever read that appeals to readers who don't normally read fantasy. It really is a great read and at 99 cents this book is a steal.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gosh, Kevis...thanks!

Meanwhile, I vow to have at least 'Fire-heart' up and running by the end of the week. I'll make an announcement here as soon as it goes 'live.'
Because the book is formatted in InDesign, there are a few wee gyrations we have to go through to get it to appear as it does in print. You definitely want the illustrations to come through, right?

It is frustrating not having a Kindle. I have to rely on reader feedback to know if the formatting is ok--I can access a preview, but no guarantees that the whole thing came out right. Elfhunter was fine, so I think we're ok!

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Yes we want and love the graphics.

And we will be happy to help you if there is anything wrong.

Michael Hicks (In Her Name) has an "editor" here in KB that previews all his work (as he writes it actually).
And Jeff Hepple (The Treasure of LaMalinche and Gone For a Soldier) also has a KBer that pre-reads for errors.

But we will be happy to let you know if there is any Kindle problems.

We like to support local talent....local being members of KB that is.
We are enthusiastic to applaud their success.  Like Boyd Morrison (The Ark, The Adamas Blueprint and The Palmyra Impact) who just got a Simon & Schuster hardback book deal.....woo hoo.

Can't stress how much fun it is to see talent succeed.

Just sayin.....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts