Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The landscape format is a result of my techno-inability. ;) 
I never thought of it as Popping, but I'm glad you pointed it out!
Thanks!
(And I am going to get that cover art done)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amazon still has this story discounted to 0.80.  Don't know how long though.  Hope you give this short story a try!

Carol

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Hello Ms. Carol... I have been wondering about you! Where ever has this thread been a'hidin'? I think I have this already... I just don't have my Kindle with me right now to check... Happy Thanksgiving... a little late... :-\

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Meredith,
Yes, well the thread sank when there was some discussion on the merits (or not) of short stories on Kindle, a while back.  It took me a bit of searching to find it again!  Thanks for your kind words!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Carol. . . .you might bookmark the thread in your own browser. . .then you'll always be able to go to it when it's time for an update.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the first half of A Wild ride - A Children's Bedtime Story.

It was a beautiful summer day.  Lucy, Sarah, and Carol, three cousins, had just arrived at their aunt’s farm.  They were excited, as they jumped out of the car.
“Hurry,” said Lucy.  “I can see them now.”  She pointed to a large pasture where a brown horse with a black mane and tail snipped mouthfuls of grass.  Next to her stood a small Shetland pony with a silver mane and tail.
Carol and Sarah slammed the car doors and ran after Lucy to the fence where they all three climbed up and sat, looking at the horse and pony.  The horse and pony raised their heads and regarded the girls with mild curiosity, as they chewed their grass and swished flies away with their tails.  After a moment, they lowered their heads and resumed eating.
“Let’s go get the rope and a bucket of oats,” said Sarah.
“I’ll get the bridle,” said Carol, and the three girls jumped down and ran to the barn.  
A few minutes later, they emerged, toting a long rope, a bucket half filled with oats, and a bridle.
“I’ll catch Sugar this time,” said Lucy.  “It’s my turn.”  She took the rope and the bucket of oats and started walking slowly towards the brown horse and the pony.  Sarah and Carol climbed back up on the fence to watch.
Lucy approached the horse and pony, the rope slung over her arm, and all the while she scooped up a handful of oats, letting them slip through her fingers back into the bucket, making sure the horse and pony could both see and hear them.  Those three girls knew how much Sugar, and the pony, Pepper, loved oats.  They raised their heads again as she came closer.  Several feet away, Lucy stopped.  She took the rope and looped it around the edge of the bucket, then took a handful of oats and offered it to Sugar.
Sugar looked at her, and then shook her head, to swish off some flies.  She took one step towards Lucy, but stopped.  Lucy took one small step towards Sugar, keeping her hand with the oats outstretched.  She was getting close.
Without warning, Pepper stepped up to Lucy and put his muzzle in her hands, quickly devouring the oats.  Sugar stamped her foot, as if indignant that the oats were now in Pepper’s mouth.  Lucy patted Pepper’s face, and took another step towards Sugar, with another handful of oats.  This time, Sugar reached over to take the oats, but after the first little nibble, Lucy deftly let them drop back into the bucket.  Then she tilted the whole bucket towards Sugar so she could see all those lovely oats at the bottom.  
The temptation was too great, and Sugar plunged her whole face into the bucket and began eating the oats.  Quickly, Lucy slipped the rope over her head, then after letting Sugar get another mouthful, she pulled the bucket away.  She let Pepper get his head in the bucket for a quick bite, before she began leading Sugar towards the fence where Sarah and Carol were waiting.  Pepper dutifully followed behind, never wanting to be far from Sugar’s side.
At the fence, the three girls put the bridle on Sugar and a small halter and lead rope on Pepper.  They opened the gate and led the two out, to another adjoining pasture.  They took Sugar and Pepper to the very back of that pasture, which was the farthest spot from the relative safety of the barn.
When they got to the back of the pasture, Lucy turned Sugar towards the barn, and Sarah turned Pepper the same way, pushing Pepper up alongside of Sugar.  First Lucy scrambled up on Pepper, stood on Pepper’s back, and slid onto Sugar’s back.  Carol did the same thing, sliding onto Sugar, right behind Lucy.  Then Sarah climbed up onto Pepper.
With a yell, they all took off.  Sugar, anxious to return to the barn, broke into a canter, with Lucy and Carol clinging to her back.  Behind, Pepper only trotted, jarring Sarah, who didn’t seem to mind.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts