Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My book was not selected for a Bookbub feature deal, so I was wondering if anyone had experience using Bookbub ads and how effective they were. I'm using Amazon ads now, and they've done nothing for me. Only one person has clicked on it, and the ads have been reposted over 30 times.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My experience has been good, but apparently unique. I've heard so many writers only succeed with books on sale.

I run a full price book and sell daily using BookBub ads. I create my own ads with Canva. It took a lot of trial and error to come up with the right ad and right book, but I've been running it for two years.

Check out: Best Book Promotion Sites [2022] (scroll down to "reach 10 million readers")
I looked at this myself yesterday as a refresher for BB and it had some great tips. Good luck!

·
Registered
Of Claws and Inferno (Of Cinder and Bone #5)
1,099 Posts
My book was not selected for a Bookbub feature deal, so I was wondering if anyone had experience using Bookbub ads and how effective they were. I'm using Amazon ads now, and they've done nothing for me. Only one person has clicked on it, and the ads have been reposted over 30 times.
Oh God, you might wanna sit down. Bookbub is the most frustrating aspect of what we do as indie/self published authors. If you get an ad, you'll get literally thousands of downloads and you're set for a good while. And guess what? They turn down a good 80% - 90% of the authors who apply for an ad. Some of us on here have applied for literal years and haven't gotten a single one. Why? Because it's just arbitrary how they choose who gets in and who doesn't. There is no number of reviews to assure a slot. There is no perfect cover or perfect blurb or perfect anything, so you can't even tell why they rejected you because they won't say why. That aside, keep in mind even if you did get one, that is one whopping total to pay for an ad and it's due immediately so you'd have to set aside an enormous chunk of your marketing budget at the time you apply or you might be in a financial pickle too. It's certainly worth it--it's basically the Mecca of promo ads for us--but that's still a big payment.

I know others will have far more positive things to say about it, but I'm bitter. I've done everything I possibly can to make my books appealing to them and they've shut me out every single time. It's likely I'll never get one, so I've concentrated my energy on other promo sites that perform instead because odds are, I'm not "appealing" enough in either series to ever get an ad, so I've given up on it for good. They're as much a gatekeeper as the traditional publishing industry, unfortunately. Not saying it's impossible. It's not. It's just so unlikely that I have accepted my failings and moved on. I don't mean to discourage you. Just want you to know it's damned hard to get one for some of us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts