Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in the oberons for a while but have been hesitant for 2 reasons 1 the cost I'd need to save for it and 2. due to a disability I only have real good use of my right hand my left is pretty much useless as a result I am concerned about the bungy closure.  Is this closure any easier to use with the new buttons?  Is it something that might get easier over time?  I don't need a 3rd cover but these keep attracting me so my self conrol may go bye bye but I don't want to spend that kind of $ if chances are great it won't work for me
Misty

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
mistyd107 said:
I have been interested in the oberons for a while but have been hesitant for 2 reasons 1 the cost I'd need to save for it and 2. due to a disability I only have real good use of my right hand my left is pretty much useless as a result I am concerned about the bungy closure. Is this closure any easier to use with the new buttons? Is it something that might get easier over time? I don't need a 3rd cover but these keep attracting me so my self conrol may go bye bye but I don't want to spend that kind of $ if chances are great it won't work for me
Misty
I don't know if it will be any easier with the new buttons, but what does make the bungee easier to work is to put a charm on it. Oberon sends a charm with your purchase - you could ask when you order for them to put the charm on the bungee before they send it out. OR, you could choose some type of charm yourself to put on it, perhaps something a bit lighter than Oberon's pewter charms. Some people have expressed concerns about the charms being on elastic & stretching & popping back & hitting the Kindle's screen. I used a charm I already have, a very lightweight silver heart-shaped charm. Makes it much easier to grab the bungee & pull it on & off. There are pictures here online, which I'm having trouble finding, but here's mine with the charm attached:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked them very nicely about putting the charm on for me and they were very gracious about complying.  I have some dexterity issues with my hands and once I told them this they were very accomodating. I am careful with my charm to keep it from bouncing up on the screen but I don't find it difficult at all to operate the button and bungee.  I think as long as a bit of caution is used there shouldn't be any problems with the charm.  One thing I paricularly like about the cover is you can slide your hand in the back of the cover and support the Kindle without having to grasp the Kindle, not sure if that makes since but they did have it on their video.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you get to pick the charm or do they have standard charm for each cover?  I have seen posts that the oberons are heavy are they any heavier than a very thick hard cover that is say 800-900 pgs.  one last ? are the corners covers secure I dont much like the idea of velcro on my friend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In the past people have requested the charm they wanted or else you get a standard charm that goes with the cover.  They are not as heavy as a hard cover book.  I actually like reading my kindle alot better with an Oberon cover on it - easier to hold on to.  The Oberon corner covers are very secure - no worries, you'll love it!!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks now I just need to save for it and by then hopefully they will have the new design up

Shawna said:
In the past people have requested the charm they wanted or else you get a standard charm that goes with the cover. They are not as heavy as a hard cover book. I actually like reading my kindle alot better with an Oberon cover on it - easier to hold on to. The Oberon corner covers are very secure - no worries, you'll love it!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
mistyd107 said:
do you get to pick the charm or do they have standard charm for each cover? I have seen posts that the oberons are heavy are they any heavier than a very thick hard cover that is say 800-900 pgs. one last ? are the corners covers secure I dont much like the idea of velcro on my friend.
I just weighed mine. My skinned K2 weighs 10.7 oz, the Oberon weighs 10.2 oz, and together, they weigh 20.9 oz (1 pound 4.9 oz). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (870 pages and hardback) weighs 42.9 oz--more than twice as much. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GreenThumb said:
I just weighed mine. My skinned K2 weighs 10.7 oz, the Oberon weighs 10.2 oz, and together, they weigh 20.9 oz (1 pound 4.9 oz). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (870 pages and hardback) weighs 42.9 oz--more than twice as much. Hope that helps!
exactly what I needed to know Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Misty

Oberon is a fantastic small family owned company.. give them a call and explain the situation they will help you where they can.. also keep in mind before you order there are three new designs coming out fourth of July weekend.. just a heads up. :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patrizia said:
Misty

Oberon is a fantastic small family owned company.. give them a call and explain the situation they will help you where they can.. also keep in mind before you order there are three new designs coming out fourth of July weekend.. just a heads up. :)
Thanks for the reminder it'll be a while (a few months) before I order anyway as the oberon will be a reward to myself for becoming completely debt free!!!!!!!! One last question In looking at the oberon it does not appear that any part of the closure hangs over the page button while reading is that accurate? That is my biggest issue with my noreve

·
Registered
200 Posts
mistyd107 said:
Thanks for the reminder it'll be a while (a few months) before I order anyway as the oberon will be a reward to myself for becoming completely debt free!!!!!!!! One last question In looking at the oberon it does not appear that any part of the closure hangs over the page button while reading is that accurate? That is my biggest issue with my noreve
You are accurate, all buttons are easily accessible with the corner Oberon cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts