Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member (not a Kindle user--yet!) who is planning to order a K2 for my son in Iraq. I've been reading about cases and skins and am trying to determine the best protection for a hot, harsh environment. I welcome tips and recommendations. From the forums and comments I've read, I'm thinking of a skin of some sort, perhaps a screen protector, and a case. But which ones? Specific suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Guernsey
(recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Guernsey - welcome to the kindleboards, and when you get your son's kindle to him, be sure he comes to visit us also.  I have no suggestions for you, but we do have some members deployed in that part of the world and maybe they will see your post and direct you the best way.

Thank you for your sons service and thank you for your son.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I'd look for a zip up case, but I don't know who makes one. It will provide more protection when the kindle needs to be packed. Check the accessories board for suggestions and welcome!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would get something like this case. I would want to have something with a zipper. Maybe you could find a hard case to put it in to protect it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. This site has so much good info. I found reviews on the Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare Screen Protector that sound very positive, and there's a memory foam case for sale by a member I'm thinking of checking into (zip case with pouch for light/cords). I read a question about the Marware Eco-Flip case that informed me of this case, which I hadn't come across anywhere else. I don't want to get too spendy of a case because it seems like such a personal decision based on how one likes to hold his/her Kindle while reading.

All this research is making me want one! ;D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Welcome Guernsey! What a thoughtful gift for your son in Iraq! The TrendyDigital Waterguard Waterproof Case might be a good idea to keep dust out of the Kindle. And some desiccant packets to keep condensation under control. And TrendyDigital makes a very protective case called MaxGuard.

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Welcome. . . . .head on up to the Accessories board if you haven't already. . . .you'll get LOTS of input!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Guernsey!

Your best bet would be to get the plastic bag that MonaSW suggested. SAND from the sandbox is the Worst ENEMY that will come in contact with Kindle, besides Water!

Also, if there is some kind of hard, waterproof case, such as those used by sailors, or any water lovers, I would suggest to add that along with it, it would keep the sand and dust off of it as well as using the plastic bag in unison.

AND, most importantly, "I thank your son for his service for our country, he is a Hero!" You raised a fine, young man. Gotta love them soldiers!

Nice to meet you,

Sailor

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the additional suggestions. So far I have ordered a skin from DecalGirl--the dark burled wood--and a Boxwave screen protector. I'm waiting to hear if he thinks he wants a case that opens like a book or an easel-style case. Now I need to looking into the waterproof bag pictured above. The desiccant packets are a great suggestion, too. I'll have to google for those.

I have thought of trying to find a case outside the typical Kindle accessories providers to see if I can find a really hard case. If I do, I'll be sure to post info about it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just returned from be deployed, did not have a Kindle then. Most soldiers usnderstand the conditions and do not take most of their electronics outside their own areas to prevent them from exposure to sand and heat. A case would be nice to help prevent dustings of sand that make their way into areas such as their living quarters.

Welcome

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Guernsey said:
Now I need to looking into the waterproof bag pictured above. The desiccant packets are a great suggestion, too. I'll have to google for those.
The images are links to Amazon, so you can read more about them there. And no, I don't work for the maker of the products, or Amazon. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am sure your son will love it........Belkin makes a zipper type case which is nice and won't bankrupt you.
I have one and they work well.....you can see them in Amazon accessories for Kindle's.

Good luck & God speed your son's return.

Brian

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Any decisions yet???

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
What a great thing to do for your son. 
My thoughts will be with him.
deb

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am very gratified by the many good suggestions and PM responses I have received in my efforts to outfit a Kindle for my son in Iraq--and by the appreciation expressed for his service. I've been obsessed with determining the "best" ways to protect this item I don't even have in hand yet. Stepping back, I think I'm trying to protect his K2 to the hilt because I can't protect him. It has been a wonderful diversion these past several days. Thank you!

I've made my final decisions and now await arrival of the various items:

DecalGirl dark burl skin
Boxwave screen protector
Patagonia zip case (compliments of a KB member)
Trendy Gear waterproof case
B&W Type 10 outdoor case (hard case with pic and pluck foam which allows one to customize fit; outside dimensions are 10.82"x9.01"x3.34, internal dimensions are 9.84"x7.08"x3.14"; waterproof; rated to 176 degrees; strong enough to not break the case if it is run over by a car--as long as the mail truck isn't hit by an IED, the Kindle should arrive unbroken!)

Once everything arrives and I get the K2 skinned, I'll take photos and learn how to post them. I'll also comment on the suitability of the B&W Type 10 case for others who may be in search of a tough (not slim) case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the boards!  I think it is wonderful what you are doing for your son. 

I can vouch for the B&W case.  My dad uses them all the time.  I have even taken one to Italy and it was wonderful. 

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another KB member recommended that I get the strongest case I could find because his screen cracked while he was in Iraq. I was really happy when I found this one.  ;D  Good to hear the positive reports about B&W. My purchase was based on specs meeting my requirements and not word of mouth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts