Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a kindle and am supposed to get it in 3 days. My wife just told me that she read there is going to be a newer version soon. I'm sure you must have discussed this but I couldn't find it using Search. Any info?  -  Steve

B

·
0 Posts
According to Amazon, it is not expected until late 2009. So, if you call that soon, yes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And when it comes out I'll be right in line. Until then I'm ever so happy with my current baby.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm not sure I'll get the next version if/when it comes out.  I am 100% happy with this one.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
From what I read, I think Amazon is putting more energy towards an international release. Once that is done, they'll turn back to version 2 so I am not expecting it for awhile.

Like Kirstin said, I'm not even sure I'd upgrade unless it had some tremendous new features which right now, I can't imagine what they would be.

L

I

·
0 Posts
I did a Google search on the kindle 2 and I did find some results but nothing about when it's to be released. I even saw some pictures of it. Most of the changes I saw didn't warrent buying the newer version if you are happy with the current one.

You can read one of the articles here.

http://news.cnet.com/amazons-kindle-2-leaked/

·
Registered
509 Posts
Steve, if you've been reading about user experiance with the current Kindle, you know that we're very pleased with the present version. Your decision is simply "Now or later?". No matter what Amazon says publicly, a new version could be introduced tomorrow, or a year from tomorrow. Regardless, the current version is a very good device.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Based on what I saw on the link posted I'm in no hurry for K2. I think the feel and weight are perfect and the new one looks a bit larger, also not good.

I

·
0 Posts
That article could very well be a red herring or an European version of Kindle.  We don't really know what's going on in the minds of Amazon and the Kindle-teers.

·
0 Posts
I can't think of anything they could do in a newer version that would convince me to buy one. They might design it differently and make the buttons smaller, but when you get used to the ones on this model they are very convenient as compared to other readers I've had in the past. I couldn't be more satisfied with this one and now I'm glad I didn't hold off any longer.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Those pictures first showed up on the Boy Genius report a few weeks ago. Frankly, I think they are fakes. A few people surmised they might be prototype pictures from the development of the Kindle we currently have. I might believe that but I certainly don't believe they are pictures of an upcoming version 2.

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They are fakes, many other sites have verified that. Once real pictures are available they will pop up on sites like Engadget and Gizmodo. You cannot trust information that comes from a single source, especially a blog that no one has ever heard of.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I wonder if those "Kindle 2" pics were leaked by Amazon? I know I saw them and said to myself, "I'm not waiting another year for that ****." :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Welcome stevene9... No matter when a newer version comes out, I know you will enjoy the current one... I know I do!

A

·
0 Posts
The pics are fakes. BoyGenius is not a reputable site for info at all. The only thing I can think of that may make the next Kindle an improvement over the current one is the screen. The newest E-ink screens have something like 16 shades of gray and can show animation-not that the animation part is cool-in the demo I saw it was used to present an ad in the New York Times!

Like others have said, I think the current Kindle is perfect!  :)

I

·
0 Posts
I'd like to see color someday and a lower price but other than that the present model looks just fine to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts