Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading others being able to send emails through their Kindle, I tried to access AOL's webmail (webmail.aol.com).  It's the email program I use for general mail, and what I'd use when I'm just out and about rather than accessing my business domains.

However, when I try that address through the K2's browser, on advanced, it redirects me to wap.aol.com.  I put in my username and password, then it gives me a WAP authentication error and it tells me to clear cookies.  I've also tried m.webmail.aol.com - same result.

Anyone have a way to access AOL webmail through the K2?  Or do I need to use gmail or another type account?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I just tried gmail, too, and it won't let me in there - I can log in and access my account info on Google, but not gmail.

Okay, those who send email through the K2, how do you do it?  I'm only looking for very occasional use, like from an airport when I don't want to drag out the laptop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woody said:
You can access AOL mail through Yahoo or Gmail. Hotmail might work too, haven't checked. Gmail works best.

Woody
Could you explain this, Woody? I can't get into gmail. And I certainly don't know how to get to aolmail through gmail.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sure in the Kindle browser type wap.aol.com/mail.  It is best to find the wap/mobile versions of sites to use on the Kindle browser.

·
Registered
121 Posts
BurBunny said:
That's the address which gives me the WAP authentication error, unfortunately
You might try to entering your full email address instead of just your screen name depending on how you were entering it before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think you need to have your Kindle browser in "Advanced Mode" with Javascript in order to get email to work.  The following directions are for the Kindle 2:

Start at the Home screen on the Kindle, and press the Menu button.
Select "Experimental," then "Basic Web"
Now press the Menu button again.
If, at the bottom of the menu, it says "Use Advanced Mode" select that. (If it says "Use Basic Mode" you're already in Advanced Mode, so go on the the next step.)
If you're not already in the Menu for the basic web, press the Menu button again.
On the Menu, select "Settings" (just above "Use Basic Mode")
Move the cursor down to "Enable Javascript" and enable it.
The last step is to press the Menu button again, go into Settings once more, and, at the bottom, "Enable Images" (if it says "Disable Images" you don't need to do this step.

Now (hopefully!) you can check email.  I think you only need to do all this setup once.  Mine works fine after doing all this... 

·
Registered
28 Posts
BurBunny, you're right. "wap.aol.com/mail" has never worked on the Kindle.

Gmail can automatically fetch other POP e-mail automatically about once an hour. Yahoo can also fetch other POP mail, but not automatically. Need to click a link to do it manually. With Gmail using your PC (not Kindle) go to "settings" then "accounts" to set this up. When using gmail on the Kindle use this URL:
http://m.gmail.com/

Procedure is similar for Yahoo.

Woody

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
etiz said:
I'm not sure, but I think you need to have your Kindle browser in "Advanced Mode" with Javascript in order to get email to work. The following directions are for the Kindle 2:

Now (hopefull!) you can check email. I think you only need to do all this setup once. Mine works fine after doing all this...
Thank you, eitz. That got me into gmail! I didn't realize java wasn't turned on. Was using advanced, but not java. Appreciate it.

Woody said:
BurBunny, you're right. "wap.aol.com/mail" has never worked on the Kindle.

Gmail can automatically fetch other POP e-mail automatically about once an hour. Yahoo can also fetch other POP mail, but not automatically. Need to click a link to do it manually. With Gmail using your PC (not Kindle) go to "settings" then "accounts" to set this up. When using gmail on the Kindle use this URL:
http://m.gmail.com/

Procedure is similar for Yahoo.

Woody
Woody - thanks. Don't need to retrieve aolmail, was just trying to send from there, since that's an account my contacts would recognize. However, since I can now access gmail, that takes care of it.

Appreciate all the help tonight. Knew you all could figure it out for me.

Amber

1 - 12 of 12 Posts