Kindle Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 10927 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Saw this on my Facebook today in honor of Earth Day.

Dillard's Inc.
Give Origins your empties. Get a free cleanser. TODAY ONLY Origins will treat you to one of their best-selling cleansers formulated without Parabens (Checks and Balances or A Perfect World), just for bringing in your cosmetic empties. While supplies last.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
ZsuZsu, I got the Urban Decay pencil sharpener at the same time I got my first UD 24/7 Glide on pencils (a total impulse buy, but they were so cute in purple ::)), and they work very well. I actually just sharpened Rockstar a couple of days ago, and got a nice, fine AND smooth tip back. Maybe worth a try?

Trying Oil Slick today, and I'm very happy with my purchase: again, not much of the sparkles to be seen, but it's just a nice, softer and more casual black than Zero. Perfect for a day off ;D

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I got home from work yesterday I was pleased to find that my Sephora order had arrived. Of course I had to immediately open the Meteorites! They're beautiful and they smell lovely. :)

I wanted to wait to actually use the Meteorites until I did a fresh application of makeup this morning, and I decided to use the Meteorites for my finishing powder everywhere except my t-zone, where I used the Smooth Operator. I also tried my sample of Smashbox Photo-Finish Primer (which I decided to try applying with my foundation brush after reading what Julip had to say).

After I ordered the Meteorites I washed my best blush brush in anticipation of using it with them, since I didn't order the Guerlain brush. The only problem seems to be that it's hard to swirl all the pearls to pick up an even distribution of the colors without having some topple out of the container (I lost one last night!)

I also think that using the Meteorites on top of mineral foundation may be too much powder, because I look a little powdery today, but that might be due to using too much primer or the foundation brush I was using. (It's a cheapie that I've had for several years.)

I've almost convinced myself to order that Chanel eyeshadow duo from Nordstrom.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My Fitbit arrived yesterday.  So far I think it is very cool.  The real test will be if my activity levels actually increase in the next 30 days. 

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,145
Neo said:
ZsuZsu, I got the Urban Decay pencil sharpener at the same time I got my first UD 24/7 Glide on pencils (a total impulse buy, but they were so cute in purple ::)), and they work very well. I actually just sharpened Rockstar a couple of days ago, and got a nice, fine AND smooth tip back. Maybe worth a try?

Trying Oil Slick today, and I'm very happy with my purchase: again, not much of the sparkles to be seen, but it's just a nice, softer and more casual black than Zero. Perfect for a day off ;D
Zsu Zsu, I wanted to add a vote for the UD sharpener! I received mine today, and it really is super cute. My tired and broken (literally - the shreddings tray broke off sometime last year :D) Laura Geller one really needed replacing, and it wasn't doing a very nice point on my UDs either for awhile - probably is just really dull now. I discovered through a review that there is a little cleaning tool under the lid. Even knowing this, I had to look twice under there before I figured out where it was - I would have never known there was such a thing included otherwise. Neo, that is great to hear that it does such a great job! I have a couple that really need a good sharpening, all ready to go. ;D

Asphodel - what'd you think of applying the primer with your brush? I feel like it is giving me a really good thorough coverage with less product (although I get that feeling really from my moisturizer - I don't think I can use any less of the dot of primer than I already do :D!) I know what you mean about the Meteorites jumpers - I do that all the time, and have to grab them before my cat notices lol. I hope you can find it works well for you after trying again! The Chanel duo is gorgeous! I say go for it. ;D I'm always drawn to those colors too.

mom2karen - congrats on your Fitbit! I unfortunately have been very bad about wearing mine, but I think I wore it for a good straight year practically nonstop. It does really help you keep moving - it makes you want to make over your 10,000+ steps or get that flower gif to grow tall! ;D

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK- I'm sold on the UD sharpener! I think I will run to Ulta in the morning and pick one up- I was looking at Ulta online, so I got to see it....  I finally checked to see what kind my "old one" is- it is SO old that it is "Wet and Wild" probably bought for under $3 about 10 years ago!!  So I guess it is totally past any prime that it may have ever had!!
(Of course, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to go to Ulta and ONLY purchase the sharpener... sigh)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,147
ZsuZsu said:
(Of course, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to go to Ulta and ONLY purchase the sharpener... sigh)
Funny you should say that, Zsu Zsu ;D because I was on my way back here to share these brushes sold at Ulta:

http://realtechniques.com/

They are by Samantha Chapman, who is one of the lovely pixiwoo sisters of the LY34 frenzy fame :D. I went a little crazy buying them online at launch last month, because they appeared there before they started showing up in stores, and not all stores got them. They have already sold out completely at least once, and I don't see all they offer up on Ulta right now (or the Real Techniques site, for that matter).

Anyway, they are very nice quality SUPER SOFT taklon brushes, especially for the price! The handles are color coded according to usage.

Unfortunately, the foundation brushes are very small, even next to my original foundation brush. Next to the CB and LY, they are positively dwarfed. But they would be nice for travel if you needed something very compact, or a concealer brush. The other ones are fantastic, though. My favorite ones are the multifunction (pink handled), which comes in the travel essentials set. I actually ended up with two of these because they sent me another instead of the blush brush I ordered. It works great as a blush brush, though. I also like the large powder (gold handled), and lately I've been using the detailer brush from the purple handle set as a concealer brush.

The site above has great videos showing off the brushes. The set organizers are nice because they stand up like an easel when opened. I was able to use an online coupon (I think for $3.50 off) on them, so the coupons that usually exclude prestige cosmetics might work.

Here's the product page on Ulta:
http://search.ulta.com/nav/brand/Real%20Techniques/0

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think I overdid it on the primer, Julip. :( Next time I will try dotting the primer on with my fingers and blending with the brush to see if that works better. Also, I probably need a new brush!

Cobbie, since you mentioned SN's upside-down shake technique with the Meteorites I did that when I got home from work since I needed a touch-up anyway. (Darn shiny nose.) I think that will work well, so I'm glad you mentioned it. :)

So I don't really need a CB BFF brush because I use mineral foundation, right? And I couldn't possibly try the Vitalumiere Aqua because it would be hard to match it to my skin tone properly online and I won't be able to get to a Chanel counter anytime soon.

Right?

PS: Before I can order the Chanel duo I need to figure out what shade of eyeliner I would want to wear with it in case I need a new one. My eyes are hazel green but appear more brown than green, so I'm always trying to emphasize the green. I have no idea what color eyeliner to wear with the duo if I get it.

PPS: Happy Easter weekend, everyone! Does anyone have any exciting plans? I'm going to my favorite restaurant for dinner on Saturday, and I have the BBC Miniseries of "Sense & Sensibility" out from Netflix that I intend to watch. :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yes, I'm listening......... and maybe have the CCB page up on the iPad. It's only a matter of time. I just want it!!

I actually did really well at the mall. I scored at NY&Co - I got 3 rings, 3 bracelets, a jersey dress, two dress shirts, two tank tops, a cardigan and a pair of yoga pants for $67. I love that place!! But after I left there I just wasn't in the mood to deal with the mall. As I've said before, I love clothes, but I hate malls. Plus, right where I was there were about 200 parents and screaming children waiting to see the incredibly creepy Easter bunny - I had to get out of there!

I'll probably reward myself for only apending $67 at the mall with a foundation brush ;D

Asphodel- I would definitely not get the Chanel without trying it first. There were 3 colors that would have worked for me but that perfect shade melts into your skin. I have been doing the same thing with my meteorites! Oh - I have light green eyes, and I use plum eyeliner because it brings out my eyes. You should try it!

My husband and I are headed to my parents house on Sunday, but that's about it! Happy Easter all!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Asphodel, I have hazel eyes that look green on some days (if I'm wearing green) and look sorta gold at other times. I saw something in the Soft Surroundings catalog that suggested a purple-ish shade of eye shadow for emphasizing green eyes.

Click below the picture (on the left) to the photo with all the eyes on it. I have't bought this and I'm not recommending it, just pointing out what they say about green eyes.

http://www.softsurroundings.com/detail.php?parentid=02546&suggest=2

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
ahhh, I was typing at the same time as Jen and she says plum which is very similar to a purple-ish shade.  ;D  I can't believe Jen didn't suggest a specific plum eyeliner that we simply must have.  What's up with that?  ;D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
How could I not?!  I have fallen in love with Clinique's quickliner in violet.  It's the best eyeliner I have ever used!  But, I hate eyeliner that needs sharpened, so my eyeliner experience is limited.  These other ladies rave about the UD pencils!!

Yup, I just ordered the Big Fat Foundation brush!  WEAK!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Jen said:
Yup, I just ordered the Big Fat Foundation brush! WEAK!
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Not weak, smart ;)! I think that the minute you get it, you will be so happy - and even more so after you've used it once!

If you really want to talk about weak, just look my way! I got the CB, LOVE it, but because I really need a new powder brush (and that's really the only one I need) and want to give the LY a try, I already have a full cart there ::). Because you know, let's make that shipping from the UK worth it, and the LY34 is just going to be soooo perfect with the Chanel creme bronzer I'm getting next month (after all Raymond said it would be perfect, so that's that), and the CB is so big, maybe I need the LY02 for travel, etc... Seriously ::)...

By the way, you should really give the UD pencils a try, but on the other hand, if you don't like pencils that you need to sharpen, they may not be the right thing for you. I actually like that fact: I feel like each time I sharpen them, I kind of clean them too at the same time, and that really appeals to my (not so) inner OCD ;)

ZsuZsu: have fun at Ulta tomorrow, AND don't forget to come back here and tell us all about what you got there ;D

Cobbie, I'm so glad you like your CB!!!!! Doesn't it make the Chanel look and feel ridiculous? I really think I'm going to try to bring it back next time, because realistically, there is just no way I would ever use it again :'(

SN, when are you getting yours ;D??

Skyblue, have you found your way to a Chanel counter yet?

Asphodel, I definitely agree with Jen: you need to try the Chanel VLA before buying. I too could have been ok with a couple of shades, but the right one is just amazing (and the third one Raymond tried on me).

No particular plans for the weekend, but going for my mani/pedi tomorrow and getting to try my new Black Pearl nail polish, so that's cool ;D

Happy Easter all!!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Jen said:
How could I not?! I have fallen in love with Clinique's quickliner in violet. It's the best eyeliner I have ever used! But, I hate eyeliner that needs sharpened, so my eyeliner experience is limited. These other ladies rave about the UD pencils!!

Yup, I just ordered the Big Fat Foundation brush! WEAK!
I've been told by two makeup counters to use plum for my eyes. They are green/ hazel green sometimes and blue/ grey sometimes depending on clothes and stuff. I have a barely used violet clinique eyeliner. I like it but need to use it more to get more comfortable with trying to use eyeliner. I keep thinking I'll poke myself in the eye!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I keep going back and forth between the CB and the LY34.  That is keeping me from ordering because I'm not getting both and can't make a decision.  Persuade me.   ;D

And yes, Cobbie, does it make the Chanel look and feel ridiculous?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,158
Yay Jen!! You will love the CB. Any hesitation you may have had will go *poof* after you feel it for the first time. Cobbie, congrats on getting yours at last! It really is a monster, and it makes the name Big Fat Foundation brush really appropriate. lol. So glad you had better luck with the BBlender!

I must report back that I tried my UD sharpener for the first time this afternoon ... one I saw the results on one, I grabbed my box of eyeliners (various stages of needing sharpening - many stubs, which I could not throw out but which I left for a brand new sharpened one lol) - and I sharpened each and every one of them. That sharpener is amazing and it was very satisfying getting them all with perfect tips! :D

SN - if you like to apply your foundation with side to side sweeps, you will love the Coco Beau. If you like to do more circular motions or have a broader stroke, you may like the LY34 better. I like both obviously ;D but I lean more towards the LY34 - I like how I can dip the tip of the brush into my pea size dot of foundation, swipe on, and then blend in with the tip of the brush in broad sweeps or circles. I use it a lot like I would putting on a mineral foundation, but it's with liquid.

Asphodel - I don't know if I would like using the CB brush with mineral foundation, but the LY34 would probably be wonderful with it, since the pixiwoo sisters I think use it mostly with their bronzer. ;D

Neo - you will love the Ly02 for travel. ;D

My favorite plum liners are UD's Crash and Rockstar! If you like gel liners, Bobbi Brown and Mac both have nice plum/violets, though in my personal experience it seemed like Mac's seemed to stay moister in the pot longer.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Jealous of all you people with green eyes.  I hate my deep set brown eyes.  If I could change anything at all, they'd be the first to go.  LOL

Not a purchase, but two backordered eyeshadow colors from Sweet Libertine arrived today, Poison (dark metallic green) and Glacier (pearlized white).  I have the urge to go strip off my makeup and start playing with them.   :D  

·
Registered
819 Posts
Up until just a few years ago i had clear blue grey eyes but then they changed to a more green grey and now they are more green brown except when i wear light clothing or get upset.  When i lost my grandfather a couple years ago they were steel grey for most of a month...my coworkers thought i'd gotten colored contacts.  I don't know why they are like that but it is kinda neat.

I will be graduating with another degree on May 6 and i think i may get myself a congratulatory s&s bag.  I hate typing on this ipod!

4141 - 4160 of 10927 Posts