Kindle Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 10927 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hi everyone! I haven't popped in here in a while, so I have two questions without digging through all the posts I've missed:

1. How is the love for the S&S bags holding up? Still love them after using them for a while?

2. The Coco Beau (?) (CB?) brush - Is that for liquid or powder foundation? And what foundation do you all use? I use Mary Kay mineral foundation now which I like, but I still don't feel like I've found the perfect one. Bare Minerals makes my face itch. :(

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
hudsonam said:
Hi everyone! I haven't popped in here in a while, so I have two questions without digging through all the posts I've missed:

1. How is the love for the S&S bags holding up? Still love them after using them for a while?

2. The Coco Beau (?) (CB?) brush - Is that for liquid or powder foundation? And what foundation do you all use? I use Mary Kay mineral foundation now which I like, but I still don't feel like I've found the perfect one. Bare Minerals makes my face itch. :(
Hi Hudsonam, and welcome back!

Still loving my S&S bag, but it's not my everyday bag - but then again I knew it wouldn't be even when I bought it. However, I always come back to it and enjoy it every time.

Like Julip said just above, the Coco Beau (CB) is better suited to liquid foundations. For mineral foundations, the Louise Young LY34 may be better suited.

Personally, I am using liquid foundation - the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and it's fabulous. I have never worn any foundation before because I simply didn't like it and never found the right one for me that didn't look like I was wearing foundation. With the Vitalumiere Aqua, I don't feel or see that I'm wearing anything, just that I have fantastic skin ;D

Oh, and it's all AddieLove's fault, she's the one who brought the Vitalumiere Aqua up here first :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have blue/green eyes. The outside is more blue while the inside is more green.on the color varies based on what I wear, and the makeup I choose. I am hooked on copper and aubergine shadows which make my eyes pop. I have an Urban Decay eyeliner in the purple shade---I forget the name---but I don't use it. I use a Tarte or Mally black eyeliner on the upper water line, and a deep navy liner smoked out on the bottom.

Neo, I am too far away from a Chanel counter to just pop in. I will have to set aside some time for that. I want to see your Raymond! ;)

No one answered my post on the Dior balm. Does it make you lips look bright pink like the old Fran Wilson mood lipsticks? ???

You gals have become such experts you should post your own YouTube videos! ;D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Neo said:
Hi Hudsonam, and welcome back!

Still loving my S&S bag, but it's not my everyday bag - but then again I knew it wouldn't be even when I bought it. However, I always come back to it and enjoy it every time.

Like Julip said just above, the Coco Beau (CB) is better suited to liquid foundations. For mineral foundations, the Louise Young LY34 may be better suited.

Personally, I am using liquid foundation - the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and it's fabulous. I have never worn any foundation before because I simply didn't like it and never found the right one for me that didn't look like I was wearing foundation. With the Vitalumiere Aqua, I don't feel or see that I'm wearing anything, just that I have fantastic skin ;D

Oh, and it's all AddieLove's fault, she's the one who brought the Vitalumiere Aqua up here first :D :D :D
Thanks Neo! :) I find that mineral makeup works better on my dry, flaky skin, surprisingly enough, but maybe a liquid foundation would work better with a brush applicator. I'll have to check out the Chanel counter and try it out. A friend of mine used to wear Trish McEvoy liquid foundation and apply it with a brush, and her skin looked amazing.

This thread is definitely dangerous for me. ;)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
hudsonam said:
Thanks Neo! :) I find that mineral makeup works better on my dry, flaky skin, surprisingly enough, but maybe a liquid foundation would work better with a brush applicator. I'll have to check out the Chanel counter and try it out. A friend of mine used to wear Trish McEvoy liquid foundation and apply it with a brush, and her skin looked amazing.

This thread is definitely dangerous for me. ;)
You should definitely check out a Chanel counter, Hudsonam. From what I understand, their foundations are amazing - Cobbie here has been a fan for many years, and obviously rightly so ;D

However, if you have dry skin, the Vitalumiere Aqua may not be your best option, but according to the Pixiwoo sisters, the Vitalumiere should work out very well for you :)

Anyway, I'm really not an expert, far from it, but I'm sure that they will be able to help you really well at the counter ;D

Skyblue, just come here, I'll take you to see Raymond - I'm sure he would be thrilled, and it would be so much fun!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
819 Posts
julip said:
Funny you should say that, Zsu Zsu ;D because I was on my way back here to share these brushes sold at Ulta:

http://realtechniques.com/

They are by Samantha Chapman, who is one of the lovely pixiwoo sisters of the LY34 frenzy fame :D. I went a little crazy buying them online at launch last month, because they appeared there before they started showing up in stores, and not all stores got them. They have already sold out completely at least once, and I don't see all they offer up on Ulta right now (or the Real Techniques site, for that matter).

Anyway, they are very nice quality SUPER SOFT taklon brushes, especially for the price! The handles are color coded according to usage.

Unfortunately, the foundation brushes are very small, even next to my original foundation brush. Next to the CB and LY, they are positively dwarfed. But they would be nice for travel if you needed something very compact, or a concealer brush. The other ones are fantastic, though. My favorite ones are the multifunction (pink handled), which comes in the travel essentials set. I actually ended up with two of these because they sent me another instead of the blush brush I ordered. It works great as a blush brush, though. I also like the large powder (gold handled), and lately I've been using the detailer brush from the purple handle set as a concealer brush.

The site above has great videos showing off the brushes. The set organizers are nice because they stand up like an easel when opened. I was able to use an online coupon (I think for $3.50 off) on them, so the coupons that usually exclude prestige cosmetics might work.

Here's the product page on Ulta:
http://search.ulta.com/nav/brand/Real%20Techniques/0
I looked at those brushed on the ulta wesite the other day. They look really nice.

·
Registered
819 Posts
VictoriaP - I broke down and bought some sweet libertine shadows this morning.  I got Striptease, Karma, Incantation, Smoking Gun, Mermaid, Lilac, Antique Rose, Golden Years , Breathless, Funky Bitch, and Paraben Free Under Eye Concealer - Yellow.  I think a couple of these colors might be a bit much for me but I got all that for about $31 with a promo code so I figured I could get outside my comfort zone and play some :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I already know I won't regret the CB purchase, but it sure will be hard to wait for it! I also spent some time on the LY website, and could definitely do damage! But, I think I'll like the CB as I prefer to sweep. Plus, I'm still really happy with my Sigma brush set. I'm so excited to get it!!!!

Skyblue, I really like what the Dior lip glow does to my lips. Like I said, since I'm a redhead I stay far away from pink, but the lip glow gives it a pink that looks totally natural on my lips. I'd say it more brings out the color in your lips. Plus it's a great balm! I really love it.

Welcome back Hudsonam! I am still in love with my S & S bag, and am still using it as my everyday bag. I highly recommend! You too cmg! It souds like the perfect reward. I also used to use Mary Kay mineral foundation but have switched to the Chanel VLA as well. I have combination skin though, so I can't comment on the dry skin aspect.

I was hoping my Sephora order shipped yesterday, but it didn't. They must be backed up, it doesn't usually take this long. I probably won't get it until Wednesday. I have NO patience!!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I want to say that I think I prefer to sweep but that's just because the brush that I have now is so small and flat that sweeping is practically the only option.  I love my Kabuki brush for mineral makeup and I love how quickly I can swirl it on, so I would probably love to swirl my Chanel VA too.

Decisions, decisions.  :)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Here I am, boldly walking in this morning instead of tiptoeing! I just wanted to tell you that a foundation brush is the best make-up purchase anyone ever talked me into I ever made. I use it with a cream foundation. You really do use less, maybe because the foundation stays on the brush until you brush it on your skin instead of soaking into your fingertips or sponge as well as your face. The application is smooth and seems longer lasting to me.

So far I am cleaning the brush about once a week with the same stuff I use to wash my face. Any reason to buy a dedicated "brush cleaner"? If so, what do you recommend?

Anyone else have trouble with lipsticks changing color on their lips? Shades or red or brown tend to go orange on my lips. I haven't found a lip primer that prevents that or a lipstick that doesn't change color on me. Suggestions? I will be in the big city next week, so I can make a trip to a "real" make-up counter or Sephora instead of Walgreens!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,172
Someone Nameless said:
I want to say that I think I prefer to sweep but that's just because the brush that I have now is so small and flat that sweeping is practically the only option. I love my Kabuki brush for mineral makeup and I love how quickly I can swirl it on, so I would probably love to swirl my Chanel VA too.

Decisions, decisions. :)
Hi SN - from the sounds of it, I think you would fall in love with the LY34 ;D - I still find myself using a sweep motion, and often from one side of my face to the next along the jawline and around, so for me it makes it easier to change directions on a whim and then stop to swirl or continue sweeping. And since I've been accustomed to using a brush and mineral foundation for so many years, my wrist is used to going 'that way', so I think that is why I find the LY34 a little faster for my routine. But I certainly have been making sure my CB gets plenty of attention. :D

Hi crebel! - I use my face wash (Purity) to wash my brushes around once a week too. For the other days, I use the Sephora antibacterial daily brush cleaner that Neo had recommended. It really is a great spray! In fact, I love it so much, I got a backup in my latest Sephora order.

Hi Hudsonam! - I still use my S&S, but like Neo, not as an everyday bag. I like using it when I know I'm going somewhere for a wait, and I need to bring a bunch of time fillers with me. I haven't tried my LY34 with minerals, since I haven't touched it since I got my Chanel VLA! But I think it would be nice for it.

I had been using minerals from various companies for the past 13 years, but for about half that time I have used and loved Alima Pure Satin Matte foundation. I found it through a Bare Escentuals forum which some members started using after having problems (like itching) with BE. I'd still happily use it if for some reason I did not use my VLA on some days (hasn't happened yet, though lol). I use their #21 Buff Brush with the foundation. It isn't really supposed to be for the foundation (they have a #25 for that), but I just liked it better. Many people adore their #25. I think with either you get a very nice sheer blend. Right now is a very good time to look at their brushes - 20% off till the 25th!

I've never found a liquid foundation that I liked, until this VLA. I would try them - the last one was actually a Chanel about 5 years ago - but I always went back to minerals within a week. The VLA is a keeper!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
cmg.sweet said:
VictoriaP - I broke down and bought some sweet libertine shadows this morning. I got Striptease, Karma, Incantation, Smoking Gun, Mermaid, Lilac, Antique Rose, Golden Years , Breathless, Funky Bitch, and Paraben Free Under Eye Concealer - Yellow. I think a couple of these colors might be a bit much for me but I got all that for about $31 with a promo code so I figured I could get outside my comfort zone and play some :)
LOL! I'm getting ready to do another order myself. Did you remember to sign up for the Lusty Strumpet Society? You've got enough there to get your Tier 1 bonus, Seduction, which I tend to wear regularly as a liner.

On brush cleaner--I'm using the Sephora Daily spray as well (sticking with the EcoTools brushes for now). Seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I bought the Clinique Cream Shaper eye pencil in Starry Plum today. I already had the Egyptian that I was using for liner under my eyes and I like it so I decided to try the Starry Plum. I've already tried it and really like it. This is a very creamy pencil that doesn't tug and stays on almost all day.

Thank you Julip that helps but with Cobbie's, recent review, I'm now back to the Coco Beau. Stand back. I'm about to pull the trigger. ;D Just watch. I'll end up with two brushes and need the LY34 too. ;D

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
One BIG FAT BEAST soon to be headed my way.  (How long did it take for you to receive it?)  If I don't LOVE it I will make someone a very good deal.  ;D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Someone Nameless said:
One BIG FAT BEAST soon to be headed my way. (How long did it take for you to receive it?) If I don't LOVE it I will make someone a very good deal. ;D
Yessssss! I feel so much better when someone caves with me. I think they said it took two weeks, so we'll both have to try to be patient!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Okay, Cobbie, Jen, Neo, julip, SN! Someone must post a link for these fabulous brushes! I am afraid to peek, but my brushes look dog eared next to these fine specimens. 8) I would need a powder brush. My skin is still oily....sigh... I am afraid the fabulous Chanel foundation would cause breakouts.
:)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
skyblue said:
Okay, Cobbie, Jen, Neo, julip, SN! Someone must post a link for these fabulous brushes! I am afraid to peek, but my brushes look dog eared next to these fine specimens. 8) I would need a powder brush. My skin is still oily....sigh... I am afraid the fabulous Chanel foundation would cause breakouts.
:)
Ok, just remember, you asked for it ;)

The Louise Young brushes can be found here: http://www.louiseyoungcosmetics.com/

I too, absolutely need a new powder brush - mine has been good and faithful to me for 9 years now, but it's time to retire it as it has suddenly decided to systematically and profusely shed on me at every use :'(. I have decided to go for the LY07. The problem is, because I want to make it worth the shipping, I have now 5 other brushes AND the lovely brush roll in my basket ::)...

The wonderful Coco Beau foundation brush (aka the "Beast"), can be found and purchased here: http://www.cocobeau.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=102_103&products_id=279

I highly doubt that the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua would make your skin break out. Raymond specifically said that it didn't do too great with DRY skin (I have combination skin, but if by chance I have a dry spot anywhere, it really stands out under the VLA). But hey, you'll never know unless you try it ;) ;D

Hope this helps ;D

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Jen said:
Skyblue, I really like what the Dior lip glow does to my lips. Like I said, since I'm a redhead I stay far away from pink, but the lip glow gives it a pink that looks totally natural on my lips. I'd say it more brings out the color in your lips. Plus it's a great balm! I really love it.
My Dior Lip Glow is going back :'(

I really wanted to love it, and I actually really like how it feels and "tastes". It's like Kiss Me Tonight in a lipstick form, and I love Kiss Me Tonight!!! Unfortunately, while I agree that it emphasizes your lip color, it really picks up the reds in mine - not nice and totally over the top, just looks unnatural :(

Oh well, I had been thinking of that one and wanting it for a long time, now at least I know and can put it to rest...

4161 - 4180 of 10927 Posts