Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting at my desk happily scrolling through all the messages on the kindle board when suddenly I heard my cat dashing around the family room downstairs as though she had been possessed. Turns out she was chasing a mouse, which panicked and made its get away by running inside the heating vent! Ack, ACK! Why doesn't anything exciting like this ever happen when my husband is home to deal with it??!? Now I have three cats sitting in a row in front of the heater, waiting with bated breath for the mouse to come back out. Meanwhile I am terrified the mouse will exit in some other room and scare the beejesus out of me. So much for spending a quiet rainy afternoon with the kindle.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The cats will hear it move away from where it is and follow it.  The cats are probably thrilled right now!!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
I was sitting at my desk happily scrolling through all the messages on the kindle board when suddenly I heard my cat dashing around the family room downstairs as though she had been possessed. Turns out she was chasing a mouse, which panicked and made its get away by running inside the heating vent! Ack, ACK! Why doesn't anything exciting like this ever happen when my husband is home to deal with it??!? Now I have three cats sitting in a row in front of the heater, waiting with bated breath for the mouse to come back out. Meanwhile I am terrified the mouse will exit in some other room and scare the beejesus out of me. So much for spending a quiet rainy afternoon with the kindle.
LOL!! Never fails... hubby gone... things break or strange animals show up!! I went out to check the pool one morning to find the largest, fatest field mouse I have ever seen swimming around in my pool and it was up to me to get him out! Yuck!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Had a flock of turkeys in the front yard wake me up a couple days ago. Clearing work on the abutting property most likely rousted them from the woods and into the neighborhood.  I reminded them that it's almost Thanksgiving and they took off.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Teninx said:
Turn on heat, force out mouse. You don't want the little critter scampering all the way down to the furnace.
Or cook him in there and kitties get well done mouse instead of raw...ewwwww. Cats will get him no matter where he comes out at...I am sure the mouse is more afraid of you and the cats then you are of him.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Cover the vents in the rooms you want to sit in!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sailor said:
Or cook him in there and kitties get well done mouse instead of raw...ewwwww. Cats will get him no matter where he comes out at...I am sure the mouse is more afraid of you and the cats then you are of him.
That's what I'm afraid of. I strongly suspect that roasted mouse might not smell too well either! Our heating system is circulating hot water....you don't think the mouse could end up in the boiler do you??? Because if so I am going to have nightmares about turning on the shower in the morning and having a mouse spew out. I may never feel the same way about this house again. :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
The cats are waiting for their snack.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
That's what I'm afraid of. I strongly suspect that roasted mouse might not smell too well either! Our heating system is circulating hot water....you don't think the mouse could end up in the boiler do you??? Because if so I am going to have nightmares about turning on the shower in the morning and having a mouse spew out. I may never feel the same way about this house again. :(
This sounds like the start of a Stephen King novel.

G

·
I have 2 cats.  TYPO is the fat, older, lethargic cat and Fuzzy is the young hunter.  When the weather is mild, like it is now, I leave a window open for them so they can come and go as they please without constantly bothering me.

Well, fuzzy being quite the little hunter has cost me no small amount of grief.  She always bring me gifts, most of them are usually still alive.  These 'gifts range from the tiny gecko(think GEICO)lizards all the way up to birds and squirrels and everything in between.

Last week she managed to bring in a large rat.  This is no small field mouse my friends, it's a full blown rat.  It got loose.  A couple days later, TYPO and Fuzzy had him trapped under the refrigerator.  When I tried to help get him out, he bolted down the hall to hide in my closet.

I've not seen him since.  I am hoping to recapture him and release him outside before he dies somewhere in the house.
Stupid cat.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Hey Vampyre, it Worked!!! I got a picture in my post. Thank you sooo much. I used photobucket. Sorry, off topic on this post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
One night when my husband had been gone one week of a five week trip (to Hawaii I might add!) I was messing around on my computer in the kitchen until after midnight and suddenly thought I'd better see if the cat was still in the garage. I walked down the hall in the dark to the garage. On the way back, I flipped on the hall light and saw, to my horror, my cat playing with a snake. In the hall, the very same hall that I had just walked down barefooted. Admittedly it was a very small snake but when it's midnight and your husband is thousands of miles away, it becomes a nine foot boa constrictor. Actually, I was convinced it was baby rattlesnake and snatched my cat away and shut her in the bedroom so she wouldn't get bitten. Then I got the huge broom out of the closet and prepared to do battle. The snake, no doubt scared to death by this time, crawled down between a couple of widely spaced ceramic tiles and disappeared under the baseboard!

Of course, I did what any wife would do in these circumstances...I called my husband in Hawaii and told him this was all his fault and had he been home (for once!) this wouldn't have happened. I didn't sleep much that night convinced the snake would crawl back out into the hall and my cat would catch it and bring it to me as a present. The next day I went out and bought the widest masking tape I could find and taped every baseboard in the house. My father told me the snake would die inside the wall and would smell but at that point, I was past caring. A month later my husband came home, plugged up a tiny hole in the garage closet where the snake had gotten in and we took the masking tape off the baseboards figuring the snake was either gone or dead. Ha! The very next day when my husband was a work, that snake crawled back out into the hall. He was in pretty bad shape so I just took the broom and swept him outside. I do NOT like snakes and I especially don't like snakes in my house, and I really, really don't like snakes in my house when my husband is not.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My cat Pookah brought a snake into the house once. Just a little garter snake...Pookah was having the best time playing with it though. Throwing in the air, catching it, flinging it around. Yikes! I shooed her away and scooped the snake into a trashcan and took him back outside to the garden. The poor thing looked terrified and just slithered away.

When Pookah and Bandit were young, they were good mousers but when they got older, they were slow and lazy. Mice would run right in front of their noses and they wouldn't budge (we have an old house so it is easy for mice to get in).

Now we have a feral cat, Erb, living under our deck. He's been there for almost 18 months (yes, we feed him). No more mice in the house, I think Erb catches them all on the way in.

L

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
When you wrote that the mouse got into a heating vent, I was thinking forced hot air. I don't think he'll get too far along those hot copper pipes....

G

·
I do NOT like snakes and I especially don't like snakes in my house, and I really, really don't like snakes in my house when my husband is not.
Do you like them in the rain? Do you like them on a train?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts