Kindle Forum banner

ACX Voice Actor Recommendations?

862 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  JumpingShip
I posted Nolander on ACX a couple months ago but have had no bites from possible narrators. I trolled around a bit and found someone who sounded perfect, but she didn't respond to my offer. I think I'm going to need to approach more potential narrators directly, rather than sitting and waiting for someone to find me.

I'm wondering if anyone has worked with a narrator they liked who might be willing to work with me. The book is contemporary fantasy. I need a female narrator who doesn't sound either too mature or too young (the first-person narrator is 23) and has a general American or Midwestern American accent. I need to do royalty share.

The second book in the series is coming out soon, so if a particular narrator wanted to do both, that would fantastic.

If you know of a possible narrator and want to forward my book's info to her, here's the ACX listing: https://www.acx.com/titleview/A12T1ECW259ND

Thanks for your help, everyone! :)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
I wasn't getting any hits on my novel either (in hind sight, I think the audition was far too much content).

So I found a few narrators with a few samples and messaged them. Found one!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JohnsonJoshuaK said:
I wasn't getting any hits on my novel either (in hind sight, I think the audition was far too much content).

So I found a few narrators with a few samples and messaged them. Found one!
I'll move on that effort next, if recommendations don't work out. I admit I'm trying to take a short-cut! ;)

Anyone else have a ACX narrator to recommend? I messaged someone who was recommended to me yesterday via PM but haven't heard back, yet. If anyone else has used a voice talent who might work for me, please let me know!
I emailed her yesterday about something semi-unrelated Becca (I'd promised her a copy of the second book)

I haven't heard back yet either, but I think her schedule was going to be a bit wonky the early part of this month.
You might want to see about Brick Shop Audiobooks. They are Audible.com approved. They produced and narrated both of my Contemporary Western Series and did a great job. I highly recommend them. Very professional. I had Jennifer O'Donnell and Erin Mallon as narrators. Excellent work.
AnneMarie Novark said:
You might want to see about Brick Shop Audiobooks. They are Audible.com approved. They produced and narrated both of my Contemporary Western Series and did a great job. I highly recommend them. Very professional. I had Jennifer O'Donnell and Erin Mallon as narrators. Excellent work.
Thanks for the recommendations, AnneMarie! Does Brick Shop do royalty sharing the way ACX does?

Kelly, I'd love to use your narrator, but I don't want to get ahead of myself: she may not be able to do/interested in my book!
Brick Shop works through ACX. Yes, they do royalty share.

I was in NYC in October and had the pleasure of meeting one of the producers and the two talented narrators. We met for lunch, and it was great. We gushed over each other's work and exchanged many high-fives and kudos.

And even though my books are set in Texas, I opted to have my books done with a regular American accent.

Becca Mills said:
I'll move on that effort next, if recommendations don't work out. I admit I'm trying to take a short-cut! ;)

Anyone else have a ACX narrator to recommend? I messaged someone who was recommended to me yesterday via PM but haven't heard back, yet. If anyone else has used a voice talent who might work for me, please let me know!
I would be pro-active and listen to a lot of the narrator samples and send audition requests out. Some of the newer narrators might respond so they can build their resume.

I submitted my books last month and had sent out requests and had several people respond by recording my sample. A few days later, two of my four books received stipends from ACX (meaning ACX will pay narrators a bonus in addition to the royalty share). After that, I had auditions flooding in, but I ending up picking a guy who was interested before the stipend was attached. Not only did I think he did the best reading, but gave me his number so we could discuss it on the phone, like what I was looking for as far as how I wanted the characters to sound. That made a big difference because he was the only one who got one important character right. (all the other samples had the guy sounding like a monster)

He was up front with me that he was in the process of building a studio in his basement. He could do it without the studio but he thought it would come out better if he had one. (soundproofing). I was fine with that, so I think he's going to be starting the recordings next week. I can't wait to hear the finished product.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.