Kindle Forum banner

AdairHart.SendMessage("Hello Everyone!");

506 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Adair Hart 
#1 ·
After being a lurker for over two years, I have decided to join the Kboards community!

About Me

I live in Columbus, Ohio. When I am not writing code, tweaking databases, or putting out tech fires for my day job, I work on getting my first novella published. I love world building and over the last two years and have discovered I really enjoy writing. The two seem to go together fairly well. I get the same excitement looking at a blank page as I do a blank code template! In the end, something I create will be spawned on it. :D

I am an avid fitbitter and strive to do 15-20k steps a day. I find that exploring my world and how it translates to the written word to be a great topic to think about when walking. My other interests lie in the world of graphics, cartography (mostly fantasy and space), college football (Go Bucks!), and watching and reading anything related to science fiction (shoutout to my fellow whovians). I also love science and technology and anything related to it and am writing in the science fiction genre.

I am trying to learn all there is about self publishing. It has been challenging but quite fun as well. I try to learn and do what I can by myself and hire professionals (like a dev/copy editor) for the other aspects.

Why I am joining

My journey to here has been an interesting one. I had a world churning in my head for the last twenty years, which I quantified to text files, notebooks, and scraps of paper. I originally tried to design a computer role playing game (CRPG) to showcase the world and characters, but that was an endeavor where I spent more time on the actual game mechanics than anything related to my world. I tried the comic book medium next. I had six episodes drafted in Scrivener, but the cost of entry to that world is not cheap when you need to hire colorists, letterers, inkers, and others. I tried to do some of those aspects myself but they require a large time investment to become proficient at it.

I did notice when doing the comics, that I enjoyed writing the panel descriptions. I decided to try my hand at writing, and put them into a rough draft and flushed them out. My first draft was done at 50k words two years ago. That was when I discovered Kboards and began to lurk 8) I am not yet published, but am close to my first release.

I decided it was time to stop being a lurker and officialy join Kboards. I look forward to interacting with the community!

See less See more
#5 ·
Free Range Editor said:
Hello, Adair!

Welcome to the Kboards, home of the friendliest and most knowledgeable indie authors and editors on the internet.

Make yourself at home, and ask anything. You'll get thoughtful, useful answers.

Good luck with your writing!

Julie
Thanks Free Range editor. I am just soaking up everything like I did as lurker now since I can't contribute much to promotions until I begin doing it! Love your Chiana avatar! Wish Farscape had ran longer :mad:

#6 ·
Welcome Adair.
Glad you found your way to the KB.
Hope you find friends here.

My friend Intinst used to post this info, hope it helps:
Greetings and Welcome!! We are so glad you found KBoards, an independent resource for people who own or have interest in Kindle, whether readers or writers.(Really, there are many members who are not writers!) We have many areas that you probably will like. Have you been to The Book Corner yet? That's the area for Reader discussions - share your book reviews and recommendations, and new discoveries. That's also where you will find threads about books Recommended by our Members and a Book Lover's Link Threadipedia designed to help both Newbies and Oldbies find some of the various resources, suggestions and recommendations available in the Book Corner and on the internet in general.
Then there is the Book Bazaar where our member/authors post about their books and the Writers' Cafe that has discussions about writing, publishing and many other topics from the writers point of view. The Bazaar is also where you will locate Bargain Books and even Free Books threads where you can get reading material at low or no cost! The Cafe also has the New KBoards Yellow Pages -- for author (and reader) services.
If you have a question about your Kindle or it's usage, check out the forum about Tips, Tricks and Trouble Shooting . Or, just ask your question. We have many helpful and knowledgeable people here at KB and we feel there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. Questions about KBoards may be answered at Forum tips. If not, once again, ask away! To keep everything running smoothly, we ask that everyone read Forum decorum. There are a few points there particularly for authors. Further questions from authors concerning KB may be answered here: Tips, FAQs and Useful Threads for Authors
Another popular place is Let's Talk Kindle, where all things in the Kindle world are posted about. Be sure and check out the Photo Gallery, where pictures of members, pets, flowers, landscapes or just almost anything interesting can be found. Also, the Accessories area can be fun. There you will see information about covers, skins, lights, bags, stands and many other items to allow you to personalize your Kindle.
Looking to just kill some time while you are waiting for your Kindle or if you have your kindle, want to try something different? Try INFINITY Game - Word Association or The "INFINITY" Thread: KEEP POSTING...Ready, Set,... GO!!! in the Not Quite Kindle area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.