Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kindle Touch and prior to the update, I was able to open a collection, and when I selected the option to Add/Remove books to it, I got a list with checkboxes and a notation whether the book was a Sample.

My collections are Reading, Samples, Amazon, Dictionaries and Audible. Now when I go to add a books to my collections I have no indicator whatsoever what type of file it is. The only way I could tell the difference between the audio and ebook versions of the Wizard of Oz was that they added the Narrator to the author field. <grinds teeth>

Please tell me that I'm overlooking a really easy way to do this--If I have to do a longpress on each sample or downloaded book, I'm going to be really disappointed with Amazon.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I updated.  When I look at my listings, Dracula is clearly shown as an Audible Edition as part of the subject.  Are your audiobooks from other sources?

I can't help you with the samples, I don't use them, but you can change the view from "all items" to Audible and then only the audible books will be visible.  You then have to long press on them though to add them to a collection.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I updated. When I look at my listings, Dracula is clearly shown as an Audible Edition as part of the subject. Are your audiobooks from other sources?

I can't help you with the samples, I don't use them, but you can change the view from "all items" to Audible and then only the audible books will be visible. You then have to long press on them though to add them to a collection.

Betsy
The view I'm talking about is the view from the Collection. I have about 30 Samples I want to add to a single collection. Rather than going to each book in turn, doing a long press then adding to the collection--which is about 8 steps per book! I used to be able to open the Collection, then from the menu, select Add/Remove and then use the checkboxes for each item. It used to show the item type next to the book. Now all I see is the title and author so I have no way of know which of my over 100 items is a sample, book or audio book.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Jesslyn said:
The view I'm talking about is the view from the Collection. I have about 30 Samples I want to add to a single collection. Rather than going to each book in turn, doing a long press then adding to the collection--which is about 8 steps per book! I used to be able to open the Collection, then from the menu, select Add/Remove and then use the checkboxes for each item. It used to show the item type next to the book. Now all I see is the title and author so I have no way of know which of my over 100 items is a sample, book or audio book.
Yeah, as I said, when I look at my Audiobooks, it shows [Audible] right in the title. Yours don't do that?

I don't use samples so I can't say what those used to look like or look like now on my device.

(And mine is only four steps per book to add to a collection, probably still more than you want to do. ;) )

Betsy

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yeah, as I said, when I look at my Audiobooks, it shows [Audible] right in the title. Yours don't do that?

I don't use samples so I can't say what those used to look like or look like now on my device.

(And mine is only four steps per book to add to a collection, probably still more than you want to do. ;) )

Betsy
Yes, I can change the view to look at Audio books, but there is no way to distinguish Sample from full book which is really what I need. The only categories are books, periodicals, audible, docs and active content. :/

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Sorry, I may have confused the issue by trying to address two things at once in my first post.

(1) When I'm in a collection, and select add/remove items from the menu, in the list of items that can be added to the collection, I see a list of book titles with checkboxes to the right, as you've said.

However, my Audible books have the words [Audible Edition] embedded in the title, making it very easy to determine which are audiobooks and which are not. I can't say whether they all do, but mine do. Perhaps because they are newer audiobooks?

(2) In case yours aren't showing the [Audible Edition], I suggested the "view" for Audible books.

and, as I said, I don't use samples; obviously you know what it looked like before the update and what it looks like now--I can't address that, except that it's only four steps for me to move something to a collection.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else--definitely sounds like something to give Amazon feedback on. Perhaps they could add "samples" to the "view by." I know it's annoying when they break something while fixing something else. At least we assume they were fixing something else. :)

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
When you're on home page and have an uncollected sample, it will note it (with the latest update) as a sample on the right side.

But, when you are long press a collection, say 'samples' and do add/remove items, the list that then shows with the check boxes, does not denote which files are samples, as Jessica notes.  I'm pretty sure that the notation used to still be there in the add/remove listing, though I think it was on the left side.

I agree it's a step backward. . . .suggest providing feedback to Amazon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts