Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the transition from DTBs to Kindle 2 with no problems of any kind, not even funny ones like trying to turn pages. But magazines are another story. Before I bought any subscriptions I bought a single copy of Time, and my attempts to read it have not gone well. I have tried repeatedly but the reading seems strange and uncomfortable and I don't like it at all. I don't miss photos or color or anything like that -- it's more a matter of format, I think. I suspect I will have the same problem with newspapers. On the bright side, I think another favorite of mine -- The New Yorker -- won't be as much of a problem because it's format is different.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, what did you do? Is it just a matter of eventually making the adjustment or are there tricks?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I think it's a matter of getting used to the format.  I find them a little more awkward, but I haven't spent too much time on them, just an occasional magazine.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Graydog said:
I made the transition from DTBs to Kindle 2 with no problems of any kind, not even funny ones like trying to turn pages. But magazines are another story. Before I bought any subscriptions I bought a single copy of Time, and my attempts to read it have not gone well. I have tried repeatedly but the reading seems strange and uncomfortable and I don't like it at all. I don't miss photos or color or anything like that -- it's more a matter of format, I think. I suspect I will have the same problem with newspapers. On the bright side, I think another favorite of mine -- The New Yorker -- won't be as much of a problem because it's format is different.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, what did you do? Is it just a matter of eventually making the adjustment or are there tricks?
I feel the same way about newspapers on the Kindle. Haven't tried magazine but if they're anything like reading the papers, I wouldn't like it. I just don't buy them for the Kindle. I'm happy as a clam reading only books on my Kindle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like reading mags and newspapers (news non-papers?) on my Kindle.  I tend to be easily distracted, and I find it much easier to concentrate on the article I'm reading when there aren't a half dozen other articles with headlines scattered around the one I'm reading. With a paper newspaper, while I'm reading, my attention hops around to other articles and advertisements on the page and I have to keep bringing it back to what I'm reading.  On the Kindle, there's only one article at a time in front of me.

Kathie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, I like the newspapers on the kindle because there is no advetising and you only focus on the articles. It actually has me wondering how the NY Times can produce it at half the cost of home delivery but with no ads. Everyone knows its the ads that make them their money. So if the future of publishing is going this way...how will the stay in business?

G

·
I read magazines, newspapers and blogs on my Kindle as well as books. Since I'm a magazine junkie and read several different newspapers, it saves me a fortune and also keeps my house a lot less cluttered (no stacks of magazines waiting to be read or newspapers waiting to be recycled).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I realized pretty quickly that I don't care for magazines on the Kindle.  One of the things I like about magazines is my ability to tear things out, carry them around in my bag, show them to others (and snail mail them), as well as pin them up on the wall, put them in files, and so on.  I need my magazines (and newspapers) to be paper.

Books, on the other hand, I adore on my Kindle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts