Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of creating some adult coloring books. I know the fad has died down but I figure that you can still make sales with the right promotion. Has anyone here created adult coloring books? My understanding is that both CreateSpace and Lightning Source do not produce books that lay flat, which I think would make coloring the book difficult. Has anyone creating adult coloring books overcome this problem or is it not a problem?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I would think if you left enough margin at the binding side, it would work out. I think Lulu still does a spiral binding, but I'm not sure if that would be a plus or not. I haven't looked at that site in a while, and people generally don't talk about it anymore. You could also check out IngramSpark. They might have something better, and they often have coupons for free set-up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I published an adult coloring book through Createspace. The book only has 32 pages, so it's not hard to make it lie flat. The main problem reported to me is that the paper quality needs to be heavier to avoid bleed-through if colorers want to use markers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
skylarker1 said:
I published an adult coloring book through Createspace. The book only has 32 pages, so it's not hard to make it lie flat. The main problem reported to me is that the paper quality needs to be heavier to avoid bleed-through if colorers want to use markers.
This was always my concern with coloring books, too. Thought about it. Long and hard. Still consider it some days, but my quality-obsession would have me spending so much getting books sent to me to check paper quality.

·
Registered
264 Posts
L_Loryn said:
This was always my concern with coloring books, too. Thought about it. Long and hard. Still consider it some days, but my quality-obsession would have me spending so much getting books sent to me to check paper quality.
I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but I think the problem could be solved by printing on one side only of the pages. There'd be twice as many pages, but that could be kept within a reasonable production-cost budget.

·
Registered
769 Posts
she-la-ti-da said:
I think Lulu still does a spiral binding, but I'm not sure if that would be a plus or not.
The last I checked, they did offer spiral binding, but they don't distribute it; it's only available for sale through their website or for the author to purchase and hand sell.

You could also check out IngramSpark. They might have something better, and they often have coupons for free set-up.
The only possible option through IS for a lay-flat binding would be saddle-stitched, which is available up to 48 pages: https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/articles/209541446-Binding-Formats. They currently have a code for free setup through the end of July: SPARK5.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Hm. The not distributing part could be a deal-breaker, but I guess one could make a merchant account (?) through Amazon and sell them. Not sure how that would work out on the cost and shipping and stuff, but it's an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
empathizer said:
I am thinking of creating some adult coloring books. I know the fad has died down but I figure that you can still make sales with the right promotion. Has anyone here created adult coloring books? My understanding is that both CreateSpace and Lightning Source do not produce books that lay flat, which I think would make coloring the book difficult. Has anyone creating adult coloring books overcome this problem or is it not a problem?
Can u share your experience?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
akb said:
Can u share your experience?
The question was posed two years ago, so their experience back then would be completely irrelevant today. Especially in a today where many are wondering how bad things are going to get for print books.

You would be better off keeping an eye on the market for print before taking this a step further.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Yeah, two year old trends are pointless to resurrect. Go out and do some searches on Amazon, see what's selling. Remember, there's really no easy money in self publishing. People will tell you otherwise, often for a fee, but the only smart thing to do is to research yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts