Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as this topic has hit very close to home recently.  To give a slight background, I'm short...not 5'2" or 5'4" short...I mean I'm 5' even.  Now, being short, I need "petite sized" clothing (pants inseam 28-29), size 2 - 4.  The problem I face is that most clothing are too long or too big (even some petites).  An old coworker of mine said she wears kid sized shoes as she has small feet (which I do too), as long as they don't have overt kiddie decorations, they don't seem so bad.  

However, kids shoes are one thing, but adults wearing kids clothing seems rather odd.  Being so short, I sometimes find it hard finding clothes in the junior section...but someone told me that I could always check out the little kids section.  I have never thought about that and in searching online, I find out that I could fit into a girls size 12 or 14.  I haven't look into shirts/tops, but pants seem decent...though had to laugh at seeing "adjustable waist bands" being touted as a feature.

I've always worn adult petites since they are age appropriate and gotten used to some of the looseness.  Though with finances getting tighter and tighter, some of my friends/coworkers said "hey, kids clothes aren't that bad and they are cheaper".

So I'm curious as to what people think.  Is this a big "NO-NO" or "it's okay"?  Would you do it?  I am not talking about clothing with bright colors, cartoon characters, or accessorized clothes that scream kid.  Just your normal shirt, t-shirt, pants, etc.  If you do wear it, do you wear them often?  

Tris  

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
buy the best quality you can get at the most reasonable price.  like anna, buy men's shirts because they fit me better. 

if you're uncomfortable trying them on in the store (which I can understand), buy one of a style you like, take it home and if it fits, buy more of that style in various colors.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm 5'2" and I buy some basic kids clothes at Target. I wear boys' large (size 14) cotton turtlenecks, boys' large nylon athletic type pants (the inseam is perfect). I also shop the kids departments at LL Bean & Lands' End for things like fleece pullovers, cotton sweaters, & I can wear kids' 5/6 shoes depending on the style. This isn't to say that I don't look at the women's petites first but I have found over the years that most petite inseams are too long for me now. I haven't actually tried the girls' departments much because I find boys clothes to be a bit sturdier.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
When I was in my 20s, I had lost too much weight I later realized.  (6', 120 lbs.  Got sick unrelated to low weight and lost 7 lbs more for a while.  6' and 113 lbs.!!!!!)  I never tried kids clothes.  Doubt they would have been long enough.  But did buy juniors for a while even though I'd been wearing misses size for some years previous.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found this interesting.  I mean I never thought about wearing kids clothes at all because...well, I was too old. :)  I thought they wouldn't fit me.  I have read some people's opinions online that are dead set against it, while some says that it's fine.  I believe one actress who is 4'10", Kristen Chenowith (spellcheck), has admited to buying clothes at Gap Kids.  I am curious to try now, but my fear would be some little kid say "hey, she has the same pants as I do!" :)

Tris

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't understand why it would even be an issue, assuming you find styles you like?  I'm 4'10" and a size 8/10 and I have no difficulty finding petite sizes that fit, although I do frequently still need to have pants hemmed.  Years ago I was a 2/4 and had no trouble finding clothes that fit well, but now I'm guessing vanity sizing may cause problems for smaller ladies?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have an issue with it, other than the fact that I'm embarrassed that I can still fit into kids clothes even though I am significantly older. Ha-ha! :) 

I just think it's interesting to see so many people so strongly against it.  I just find this issue fascinating and wondered what people here thought about it.

Tris 

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
DH has a small head circumference. He has a difficult time finding hats that fit. One year at Disney World (Frontierland), we discovered adult style hats in children sizes. He bought several. :)

Also, there are rarely men's glasses frames that fit his head. He has bought frames from both the children's and women's sections. One favorite set of glasses from the past had little skateboards on the side, another set had Snoopy Charlie Brown. (DH corrected me. It was several years ago.) :) I don't know if anyone else ever noticed. If they had, it would not have mattered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts