Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
My opinion: it depends on what you're looking for from your fans. Sales? Reviews/ARCs? Certainly announcing freebies will keep them clicking on your emails, but if you announce every free book, you won't have any left to buy.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales; or if it's a starter for a series. I've announced a few, but I don't tell my readers about every sale or freebie I run. It depends on the timing.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
I see no problem in alerting your newsletter followers (assuming that's the newsletter you have in mind).

I do see a problem in giving your book away. Why add to the perception that ebooks have no value? Enough people have that idea as it is. If you think they'll be so grateful that they'll run off and buy one or another of your books, well, don't be naive. What they'll do is run off and find the next sucker who's giving his/her/its books away.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alhawke said:
My opinion: it depends on what you're looking for from your fans. Sales? Reviews/ARCs? Certainly announcing freebies will keep them clicking on your emails, but if you announce every free book, you won't have any left to buy.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales; or if it's a starter for a series. I've announced a few, but I don't tell my readers about every sale or freebie I run. It depends on the timing.
Thanks A.L.

Telling them about a freebie right before a new release can help sales
How so?

Do you mean a different freebie than the new release?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
notjohn said:
I see no problem in alerting your newsletter followers (assuming that's the newsletter you have in mind).

I do see a problem in giving your book away. Why add to the perception that ebooks have no value? Enough people have that idea as it is. If you think they'll be so grateful that they'll run off and buy one or another of your books, well, don't be naive. What they'll do is run off and find the next sucker who's giving his/her/its books away.
Thanks notjohn. Yep, there is definitely a huge "freebie only" readership out there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
Thanks A.L.

How so?

Do you mean a different freebie than the new release?
Yeah, I mean setting a book for free at the time of a new release, particularly the 1st book in a series, should help advertise your new release. I wouldn't advise setting the new release free, though I've read some do that. I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

I don't run a lot of free promos. I'm not a fan, preferring 99c, but free is a way to push more reviews and get a series familiar to readers.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alhawke said:
Yeah, I mean setting a book for free at the time of a new release, particularly the 1st book in a series, should help advertise your new release. I wouldn't advise setting the new release free, though I've read some do that. I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

I don't run a lot of free promos. I'm not a fan, preferring 99c, but free is a way to push more reviews and get a series familiar to readers.
Thanks I got most of that but still not sure about:

I had success setting a 2nd stand-alone book at 99c when it was a new release. The promo paid for itself by leading to purchases of the 1st book, and, of course led to a higher ranking for the new release.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
Thanks I got most of that but still not sure about:
Just sharing my personal experience of pairing a 99c promotional sale with a new release. I do believe new release promos are helpful for climbing up the Hot New Release ranks and, thereby, helping with visibility.

But free?? I'm not sure. Maybe if it's the 1st book in a series.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi Gregg,

I don't do free promos and rarely do discounted ones. But when I do, I do tell my subscribers that it's available. For e.g., I did a 0.99 with ENT for one of my books (2nd in the series) and I let my subscribers know that they could get it cheap for a day. I got several people who went and purchased it and it's my way of returning to my subscribers. But I do that only because I'm very sparing with discount promos.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jm2019 said:
Hi Gregg,

I don't do free promos and rarely do discounted ones. But when I do, I do tell my subscribers that it's available. For e.g., I did a 0.99 with ENT for one of my books (2nd in the series) and I let my subscribers know that they could get it cheap for a day. I got several people who went and purchased it and it's my way of returning to my subscribers. But I do that only because I'm very sparing with discount promos.
Thanks jm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts