Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me the appropriateness of the following books for teens? They were/are free downloads, but I haven't read them yet, so I don't know if they're appropriate. Thanks for any help!

Assassin's Apprentice
His Majesty's Dragon
Red Mars
Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #1: Precipice
Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold!
Blood Engines
Elric: The Stealer of Souls

I really need to get through my TBR pile before I click on any more freebies, but I just can't help myself!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The one's I've read are appropriate for teens and my teens have also read them.

Assassin's Apprentice
His Majesty's Dragon
Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold

I've also read Red Mars many moons ago, I think it's appropriate, but just can't remember for sure.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
From what I saw in the reviews, Blood Engines probably isn't.  I don't know about the rest, but I'd avoid that one for younger readers.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I'd likely recommend against the Elric series for younger teens: it's probably what you'd rate as PG-13 if it were a movie: a fair amount of violence (mainly in terms of combat scenes, not extremely graphic, but it is about people hacking at other people with swords and such). To the best of my recollection there is no graphic sex, just indications that two characters are going to do something sexual (and not much of it). Also most of the thematic material is a bit on the dark side; it's not just good versus evil.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
There is sex and violence in Red Mars but is appropriate as none of it is graphic ... but it's also a fairly hard-science sci-fi book so it depends on how they feel about tech heavy novels.  I agree that Assassin's Apprentice, His Majesty's Dragon and Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold are all perfectly appropriate. 

Star Wars novels in general are appropriate - but I haven't read this specific one.

I read Elric when I was 16 or so and loved it - I loved that I was reading something dark and macabre.

Blood Engines I haven't read read yet but it looks ok to me....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read the Star Wars short story (that's all it is, with a sample of a novel), and it's just as age-appropriate as the movies themselves. Wherever you feel that line is for the movies, I'd put it at the same place for that story.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would say no for Blood Engines.  I would not let my 14 yo read it yet.  There are some rather graphic sex scenes in it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your help. I downloaded Assassin's Apprentice, His Majesty's Dragon, Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold, and the Star Wars short story for them, but will hold off on the others.

Your advice was very helpful!  :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think teens would enjoy His Majesty's Dragon. It has a couple of aerial battle scenes that some may find boring, but the relationship between the two main characters (a dragon and his handler) is wonderful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts