KBoards.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the right time to buy Kindle Oasis?
I already own PaperWhite-2.
Since Kobo doesn't do any business in India Amazon Kindle is the only option. I was thinking whether Amazon will release any new device in by April (Its my birthday). Then I'll wait till April or I'll buy one in January 2017.
Please guide me if you can.

Thank you.
INFINUS.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
There are no guarantees that Amazon will come out with a new device in April just because it's been a year since the Oasis was introduced. There aren't any active rumors of a new device. And, if there is a new device, no guarantees it will be a new high-end device.

The difference between Jan and April is only three months...since you already have a fine Kindle, I'd be tempted to recommend waiting till your birthday to see if anything happens!

And welcome to KBoards!!

Betsy

edited to correct typo. --Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
For the first few years of the Kindles Amazon released them about the same time every year.  Then little by little that changed and now we just never know.

Asking when the new model is coming is a bit like predicting a coin toss.  It's a safe bet it'll be heads or tails. :)

Barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
INFINUS said:
Thank You.
I'd add, if you want to explore your device happiness as well, both the Voyage and the Oasis' are really phenomenal machines and people have had different experiences with each. Do you want a little less thickness? Do you want something with a longer battery life? Do you want the bragging rights to have the newest Kindle? Do you want something lighter? Are you at all unhappy or bored with your PW? All questions to ask. The PW is a great machine but I think both the Voyage and the Oasis are great upgrades and both feel much better to me in hand. I've seen the Voyage go on sale but not the Oasis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
I have the Voyage and all three Paperwhites.  I do prefer the Voyage to the Paperwhites but not by much.  If I was buying one from scratch and knew what I know I'd buy another Voyage if money wasn't an issue but if there was the slightest money issue I'd get the Paperwhite.

I read with all of them as well as other brands I own and the differences are minor.  What happens when all the available devices are so nearly the same is that the tiny differences stand out and look huge.  But they're not.  They're just tiny differences.  It's mostly perception.

I saw an article about a $30,000 jewel encrusted Iphone the other day.  It's an Iphone with added weight. :)

Barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
barryem said:
I have the Voyage and all three Paperwhites. I do prefer the Voyage to the Paperwhites but not by much. If I was buying one from scratch and knew what I know I'd buy another Voyage if money wasn't an issue but if there was the slightest money issue I'd get the Paperwhite.

I read with all of them as well as other brands I own and the differences are minor. What happens when all the available devices are so nearly the same is that the tiny differences stand out and look huge. But they're not. They're just tiny differences. It's mostly perception.

I saw an article about a $30,000 jewel encrusted Iphone the other day. It's an Iphone with added weight. :)

Barry
Haha. True its perspective but I'd say the differences could be pretty major rather than just cosmetic. What reader gives you the most pleasure and which one are you the most productive on? I had a about 5 Paperwhite 1's back a few years ago and it goes down as a terrible reader for me. I'd argue that the differences are pretty big depending on how picky you are (haptic or non haptic buttons, touch, light layers, width if you have small hands, shade of light, weight). I saw, try a few at BestBuy in hand if you're curious. They have em all except for the Oasis. I think going backwards could be good for some even as the K4 and the K3 are great devices as well and offer slightly different experiences (K4 with no extra light and touch layers for the one layer e-ink experience + angles buttons for your palm and the K3's read text feature and larger form factor). But this is just perspective so Barry is right.

Infinus, what are you looking to upgrade for?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,218 Posts
barryem said:
For the first few years of the Kindles Amazon released them about the same time every year. Then little by little that changed and now we just never know.
Actually not. Here's when the various models have been released:

November 2007 -- Original, classic Kindle
February 2009 -- 2nd gen
May 2009 -- Kindle DX
October 2009 -- 2nd gen International version
January 2010 -- DX international
July 2010 -- DX 2nd generation; 3rd gen (keyboard) Kindle
September 2011 -- 4th gen basic kindle; Kindle Touch
September 2012 -- 5th gen basic kindle; Paperwhite
September 2013 -- 2nd gen Paperwhite
September 2014 -- 7th gen basic kindle with touch screen; Voyage
June 2015 -- 3rd gen Paperwhite
April 2016 -- Oasis
June 2016 -- 8th gen basic kindle with touch screen

So, really, when they've released them has been pretty random except for the 3 years between 2011 and 2014 when they were consistently releasing new products in September. :)

Asking when the new model is coming is a bit like predicting a coin toss. It's a safe bet it'll be heads or tails. :)

Barry
This is absolutely true. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
northofdivision said:
I'd argue that the differences are pretty big depending on how picky you are (haptic or non haptic buttons, touch, light layers, width if you have small hands, shade of light, weight). I saw, try a few at BestBuy in hand if you're curious.
I haven't seen the Oasis. I live in rural Arkansas about 45 miles from the nearest Best Buy and I don't have a car. I keep trying to find a way to get there but the last time i was there was about 2 years ago.

As for the buttons, I don't use them. I tried them on the Voyage and I agree that they work very well but I never think to use them. I just swipe the screen. So they're never part of my calculation.

Barry
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,218 Posts
barryem said:
I haven't seen the Oasis. I live in rural Arkansas about 45 miles from the nearest Best Buy and I don't have a car. I keep trying to find a way to get there but the last time i was there was about 2 years ago.

As for the buttons, I don't use them. I tried them on the Voyage and I agree that they work very well but I never think to use them. I just swipe the screen. So they're never part of my calculation.

Barry
Except the buttons on the Oasis are completely different to the 'buttons' on the Voyage. I admit, when I use my Oasis, I almost always turn pages with the buttons. On the Voyage, it's about equal swiping, tapping, or the buttons.

For me the Voyage would be very close to perfect if its buttons were more like those on the Oasis -- raised just enough from the surface to be able to feel where they are without looking, and customizable so that 'page forward' can be the top or bottom button as each user prefers. Perfect would be if it also had a dedicated home button. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
I'm just the opposite about buttons.  When I had Kindles with buttons I was always pressing them accidentally and having to go back.  I used them for a long time but I never stopped doing that.  I guess I have twitchy fingers.

When I first got the Voyage, and 2 or 3 times since then, I did try to use the Page Press and I found it worked much better for me than buttons had in the past.  I never changed pages accidentally.  It worked real well.  But in a little while I'd forget about them and go back to swiping.

If I have to have buttons I prefer the ones on the Voyage.  I do realize they're not actually buttons but it's easier not to have to state that every time I refer to them.

Barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
September 2011 -- 4th gen basic kindle; Kindle Touch
September 2012 -- 5th gen basic kindle; Paperwhite
September 2013 -- 2nd gen Paperwhite
September 2014 -- 7th gen basic kindle with touch screen; Voyage
Those four years were glorious. Something pretty great about getting a new Fall reveal on time like Apple

If I had no interest in buttons of any kind, a Paperwhite would be ideal. I do have very different experiences with haptic (Voyage) vs real buttons (Oasis), both pretty great. Of all the button setups I liked the K4 the best. And that K2 click was pretty wonderful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Actually not. Here's when the various models have been released:

November 2007 -- Original, classic Kindle
February 2009 -- 2nd gen
May 2009 -- Kindle DX
October 2009 -- 2nd gen International version
January 2010 -- DX international
July 2010 -- DX 2nd generation; 3rd gen (keyboard) Kindle
September 2011 -- 4th gen basic kindle; Kindle Touch
September 2012 -- 5th gen basic kindle; Paperwhite
September 2013 -- 2nd gen Paperwhite
September 2014 -- 7th gen basic kindle with touch screen; Voyage
June 2015 -- 3rd gen Paperwhite
April 2016 -- Oasis
June 2016 -- 8th gen basic kindle with touch screen

So, really, when they've released them has been pretty random except for the 3 years between 2011 and 2014 when they were consistently releasing new products in September. :)

This is absolutely true. :)
I would love for them to come out with a new DX!! I wanted one, but they were so expensive when they first came out, and by the time I decided to get one they stopped making them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
luvmykindle3 said:
I would love for them to come out with a new DX!! I wanted one, but they were so expensive when they first came out, and by the time I decided to get one they stopped making them.
Agree, luvmykindle3, that DX is one fascinating creature of a machine. Would be neat for them to have a new 9.7" It seems like such a cool way to reach newspapers, magazines or graphic novels.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,218 Posts
luvmykindle3 said:
I would love for them to come out with a new DX!! I wanted one, but they were so expensive when they first came out, and by the time I decided to get one they stopped making them.
I don't see that happening. I think they overestimated the market initially, though it's true that those who got them LOVED them. But, ultimately, I think it failed because it came out about the same time as the original iPad and, in comparison, just didn't do enough. And just didn't sell that well for the amount of money they had to charge for them. Apparently the larger screens are much harder/more expensive to manufacture, for whatever reason. If they could make them not that much more expensive than the smaller screen, they might do pretty well.

Also, if you think about it, lately they've been moving to 'small and light'. It seems they use a paperback book as a size template and are looking to replicate that -- which makes a lot of sense, really. The DX falls outside that mold . . . it's even bigger than hardback, though thinner, but definitely less portable in terms of size and weight.

So, yes, the bigger screen is a perfect size for, say, magazines and newspapers, but unless there's color, it's probably not, for most people, going to be as good as 'the real thing'.

Newspapers are maybe easier to replicate since they tend to be black and white -- I get a daily newspaper and page through the articles; I don't care about page layout and, in fact, prefer not having to bother with it. (Newspapers I've always found to be awkward to read and messy besides, and didn't read any regularly until I could get it on kindle.) I do miss the comics a tiny bit, and box scores in the sports pages more, but, overall, the kindle edition serves my needs quite well and works just fine on my Voyage.

But magazines -- even ones like the New Yorker or Atlantic that are mostly articles -- still have color illustrations/pictures/drawings and, for many publications, the layout tends to be kind of important. I have a couple of magazines I get for my tablet and they work pretty well on it -- you can view the page and tap to click and read on a specific article, or just zoom in. I think about trying to read 'em on an eInk screen but I think the technology is not such that they would work satisfactorily even on a DX size screen. At least, I don't think so. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
There are a few larger e-ink readers available, mostly from oriental and european makers.  You can get them in 8", 9.7", 13.3" and probably other sizes.  The one thing they all have in common is that, like the DX, they're very expensive.  I'd be surprised if the high price of the DX wasn't part of the reason for it's failure.

It's hard to guess the reason for the high prices of larger e-ink devices.  Possibly because they make fewer of them but I wonder if there's also a problem making larger e-ink screens.  I remember when TFT laptop screens first became available they added about $1500 to the price of a laptop and the reason they were so expensive was that making a screen that large meant a lot of waste.  It was difficult to make one that large without dead pixels so most of them had to be thrown away in the manufacturing process.  I remember reading somewhere that they could actually use about 5% of the screens they made.

I wonder if there might be some similar issue with large e-ink screens.

Barry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Except the buttons on the Oasis are completely different to the 'buttons' on the Voyage. I admit, when I use my Oasis, I almost always turn pages with the buttons. On the Voyage, it's about equal swiping, tapping, or the buttons.

For me the Voyage would be very close to perfect if its buttons were more like those on the Oasis -- raised just enough from the surface to be able to feel where they are without looking, and customizable so that 'page forward' can be the top or bottom button as each user prefers. Perfect would be if it also had a dedicated home button. :D
Agree. The buttons are one of the reasons the Oasis is my "go-to" reading device--that, and its lightness. I can read one-handed and barely have to move to change a page. The haptic "buttons" on the Voyage were more difficult to use.

I've never had much trouble with the buttons on any of my Kindles--even the big ol' buttons on the K1. I always figured out a way to hold it where it wasn't a issue. Maybe my big hands are good for something! ;D. Truthfully, I'm more likely to accidentally tap or swipe when I don't mean to! :eek:. I think, if there were a way to turn off that option on my Oasis, I would use it.

And woud love, love, love a dedicated home button!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
As for buying the Oasis now, if it is what you want, I would buy it. New releases are unpredictable as mentioned, though I personally doubt the Oasis will be updated for awhile.

As for choosing between the different models available now, your wallet is  most important guide.  The differences between the Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis  aren't great enough to justify financial pain with a few exceptions.  The incremental decreases in weight might justify spending more for a person with severe arthritis or other hand issues,  but I think will be insignificant for most people.  I do think the screens improve with each upgrade, but again I think most will not really find the difference that great.

I prefer the oasis, but one disadvantage it has is that it is overall smaller, but it is wider than the voyage. The difference is enough that for some of my jackets the voyage goes in fairly easily, but the oasis is difficult or sometimes impossible to slide in.

For me the biggest difference is the Physical keys. I am a fan of Physical keys on my ereader. Many people could care less about physical keys of course.  But for me, the oasis has the first keys that are really usable since the K2. The Voyage keys are tolerable to me, but I don't really like them.

And as for a coin be sure to be heads or tails, that is just so wrong!  A coin can always land on edge!  ;D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
The Hooded Claw said:
And as for a coin be sure to be heads or tails, that is just so wrong! A coin can always land on edge! ;D
And then there are the two-headed coins! Which, of course, would still have heads as an option, but not tails.
;D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,218 Posts
FYI, re: the screens . . . at this point I think the screens in all 3 devices are identical . . . and the software is nearly so. It's the other hardware -- light or not, buttons or not, etc. -- that distinguish the various models.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top