Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically write erotica serials, but this last one I have been writing ended up turning into a romance. Normally, my serials are around 10k words, and I price them at $2.99 each, keeping the first in the serial free. It's a good pricing strategy for erotica. Romance readers don't seem to take too kindly to it. The first freebie in this romance series has been steadily climbing up the freebie charts. Currently, it's #264 overall in Kindle Freebies, #6 in Paranormal and #8 in paranormal romance. Reviews have been . . . not that great because of price for the other shorts in the series. This first book has had over 3,000 downloads and has brought in about 100 sales for the combined parts of the rest of the series (currently has 4 parts, I'll be publishing #5 today). That doesn't seem like a very good amount of sales after so many free downloads. Sales for all parts seem steady, so I'm assuming that most of the people who bought book 2 went on to buy the others in the series as well. Here are some better statistics so that you can see what I'm talking about.

Book 1 (free) - 42 sales (before going perma-free) 3319 downloads
Book 2 - 26 sales
Book 3 - 24 sales
Book 4 - 21 sales

I'm hoping that the first book will break into the top 100. I'm concerned however that I'm losing a great opportunity for making more money by keeping the prices on the other books so high. Everyone appears to like the book, they just don't want to pay $2.99 for the next in the series when it's also a short. What would you do? Advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to screw myself out of a great opportunity.

Oh, and while I'm not sure if this is critical information or not, all of the books in the series have been published this month. So those stats are for this month alone.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LisaGraceBooks said:
With 3319 free downloads I would have sold at least 330 - 360 of the other titles. I sell 1 for every nine I give away free, right now. But I would give it another month at that price. Some people may not have gotten around to reading it yet.
Thanks Lisa. I imagine my sales probably would have been along those lines if the others in the series weren't also shorts. It's definitely a different beast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts