Kindle Forum banner

Advice sought on sequel title

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Nancy Fulda 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'd like to toss something out here that I've been thinking about and get some feedback from any many of you as I can.  There are so many people with extensive experience on here that I know I'll get some good pearls of wisdom.

I'm planning on putting my 2nd book out in a few months, and I've been thinking long and hard about what I want to call it.  This will be a sequel to Learn Me Good, so I've been calling it Learn Me Gooder.  I really like that name, I think it's funny, and a lot of other people like it as well.  It seems a logical continuation of the title of the first book.  (in a Die Harder sense)

What I'm wondering is if I might be crimping some sales with titling it that.  Best case scenario, this new book is a huge hit and EVERYBODY hears about it.  But then would they be completely confused and turned off by the title because they have never heard of Learn Me Good?

Would it appeal to a wider-spread audience (potentially) if I titled it something like "Houston, We Have a Word Problem," or "Third Grade's a Charm?"  Or should I stick to the fact that I have a pretty darn good fan base that liked the first one and go with Learn Me Gooder, which is a lot funnier for those in the know?

THAT'S my dilemma right now, and like I said, I'd love some feedback from the fellow writers here.  Personally, I really like Learn Me Gooder, and I'm definitely leaning in that direction, but please let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

John

See less See more
#2 ·
I like "Learn Me Gooder."

You could follow it with "Teach Me Bestest."  :D

Or, your could imply progression with, "Teach Me Well."  :D

How about, "Yo, Teach!"

Seriously, if you put in your description that it's a sequel to "Learn Me Good," I really don't think it will detract from the sales. Also, you have a good following, so I think "Learn Me Gooder" will build on that.

#3 ·
John,

For me - in my opinion - which is certainly more than humble - I DO like "Learn Me Gooder", but I guess I would ask the question of whether or not there will be more books in this series?

If there is a third one ... what would it be - Learn Me Even Better?

Alternatively - you could go with something like:

Me Smart Now.

I Done Learnt.

I would say just make it clear in some fashion that this is meant to be a sequel ... and anyone interested in it would be naturally inclined to purchase and read the first one - perhaps?

Just my virtual 2 cents ...

Raymond

#7 ·
Gooder makes me think of Roy Halladay's interview last year and as an avid Phillies fan, I enjoy it! :)

I agree that if you use Gooder, but make you put in the description it's a sequel to Learn Me Good.

-jb 8)

#9 ·
Learnmegood said:
Hey everyone,

I'd like to toss something out here that I've been thinking about and get some feedback from any many of you as I can. There are so many people with extensive experience on here that I know I'll get some good pearls of wisdom.

I'm planning on putting my 2nd book out in a few months, and I've been thinking long and hard about what I want to call it. This will be a sequel to Learn Me Good, so I've been calling it Learn Me Gooder. I really like that name, I think it's funny, and a lot of other people like it as well. It seems a logical continuation of the title of the first book. (in a Die Harder sense)

What I'm wondering is if I might be crimping some sales with titling it that. Best case scenario, this new book is a huge hit and EVERYBODY hears about it. But then would they be completely confused and turned off by the title because they have never heard of Learn Me Good?

Would it appeal to a wider-spread audience (potentially) if I titled it something like "Houston, We Have a Word Problem," or "Third Grade's a Charm?" Or should I stick to the fact that I have a pretty darn good fan base that liked the first one and go with Learn Me Gooder, which is a lot funnier for those in the know?

THAT'S my dilemma right now, and like I said, I'd love some feedback from the fellow writers here. Personally, I really like Learn Me Gooder, and I'm definitely leaning in that direction, but please let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

John
John, I have the perfect title for you: Learn Me Good, Part Too

Best!

#10 ·
For me, when it comes to titles, I always tend to go with my gut.  Usually I conjure up the title and stick with my first choice.  If it just seems to fit, I cannot change it to something else.  "Learn Me Gooder" is funny and would make me want to read it.  Then, once I did, I might realize it was a sequel and get the first.

I have only changed a title once.  I was working on a novel I was calling "Teeth" until some guy put out a movie about a teenage girl with actual teeth in an extremely private place and I decided my book could NOT share the same name.  So, it became "Vicious"  (due out later this year, by the way)

#14 ·
Raymond Birdsell said:
LOVE that - very clever.

Now as a humor author I am ashamed I couldn't come up with something that clever - I shall now exile myself to a dark corner and contemplate my navel.
Don't be so hard on yourself. The world needs humor and humorists. Anyway, I hope I win something. Oh, and speaking of humor, I have a new piece up on The Nervous Breakdown, anybody that needs a good laugh. Best!

#15 ·
Oh, absolutely, I am going to put in the description that it is a sequel to Learn Me Good.  I am really glad to hear that all of you (so far) prefer Learn Me Gooder.  (except for Dalglish, who is on the same brainwave as my mom -- I have to tell her, "but 'Better' actually makes it grammatically correct!")

Raymond, I don't think there will be a 3rd, but if there were, it would need to be Learn Me Bestest, right? :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far.

John

#16 ·
Oops, thought I had sent that last message much earlier, about 7 replies back...

I like "Part Too."  Had thought about a few parody titles like LMG2: The Math of Khan or LMG2: Academic Boogaloo.  :) 

I hadn't thought about them real seriously, but they'll show up in the introduction as a gag.

John

#17 ·
balaspa said:
For me, when it comes to titles, I always tend to go with my gut. Usually I conjure up the title and stick with my first choice. If it just seems to fit, I cannot change it to something else. "Learn Me Gooder" is funny and would make me want to read it. Then, once I did, I might realize it was a sequel and get the first.

I have only changed a title once. I was working on a novel I was calling "Teeth" until some guy put out a movie about a teenage girl with actual teeth in an extremely private place and I decided my book could NOT share the same name. So, it became "Vicious" (due out later this year, by the way)
I saw that movie! It was pretty sick, so yeah, might not wanna share the title. :D

#18 ·
Paul Clayton said:
John, I have the perfect title for you: Learn Me Good, Part Too

Best!
That's pretty good!

You could also go with the Derrick Zoolander style title: Learn Me Gooderer.

I've actually heard people use gooderer on TV, and not as a joke either.

#19 ·
I like the idea of using the same concept, but not the same words.  That way, if you go more than one sequel, you're not trapped into continuously coming up with something that fits into 'Learn Me Goodxxxxxx'.

Something like 'Teach me Write', 'Reeding and Righting', or 'Learning Lessens'.

#20 ·
I remember hearing about that movie called "Teeth" a while back too and being pretty grossed out.  Probably a VERY wise decision to change your own title, Balaspa.  :)

Swolf, I hear you man.  But I really don't have any plans to write another sequel.  A few years ago, I got moved from Gen Ed to Dual Language, and the kids are WORLDS better behaved and more receptive now.  Great for my teaching sanity, not quite as great for the stories they provided.  Oh well.

Paul, I do like Gooderer.  :)

#24 ·
Half-Orc said:
I like Learn Me Better...uh, better.
I like Learn Me Better. It fits, it isn't too cutsy and...I like it better.

I almost didn't buy "Learn Me Good" because of the incorrect English. The good reviews, cheap price and sample won me over. But Learn Me Gooder would be taking it further than it needs to go. Learn Me Better is still cute and still fits the series.

Just me though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.