1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
764 Posts
The conditions that go on in others countries that provide us with our everyday goods astounds me.  I'm sad to say I'm not really shocked to read this.  I wish people were more aware that every time we voice that we wish our electronic gadgets were cheaper or available in larger quantities that it has a direct effect on someone overseas who's already working 16 hours a day to make them in dangerous conditions for little pay.  I just read an article about a month ago stating that this factory is now making workers sign agreements that they wont kill themselves (or if they do, their families will get no compensation). 

I knew they made products for Apple (a company I choose not to support) but I'm deeply disturbed that my Kindle was also made there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This recently made the news again.  I don't understand why Apple is receiving all the criticism when Sony, Amazon and others have products manufactured by them.  Is Amazon addressing this in anyway?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
RobertKindle said:
I don't understand why Apple is receiving all the criticism when Sony, Amazon and others have products manufactured by them.
Because for some reason, people resent Apple's success? Particularly since they have a relatively closed technical ecosystem, whether it makes any difference to the end result or not?

In any event, Apple is probably the most successful tech company on the planet at the moment, so they have the visibility.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
jmiked said:
Because for some reason, people resent Apple's success? Particularly since they have a relatively closed technical ecosystem, whether it makes any difference to the end result or not?

In any event, Apple is probably the most successful tech company on the planet at the moment, so they have the visibility.

Mike
It's not that people resent success, but likely more along the lines of the responsibility of larger corporations to set positive examples for the future of our society

·
Registered
862 Posts
That is a shame. Yet it is not surprising.  We want something cheap but quality. The push for those have to come from somewhere. Unfortunately it is usually the workers that pay for the conditions.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I think one reason Apple is singled out is that their products are made for pennies at overseas slave-shops, but sold at premium prices.  The Amazon Kindles are cheaper than almost anything Apple makes.  So being made at Foxconn does not guarantee a cheap sales price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts