Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to confess that I constantly restrain myself from blogging about agents because I don't want to lump all agents together. And i don't want to portray them from my skewed perspective. And I don't want to sound bitter, because bitter is just another form of whining, but one thing I keep thinking about is how today's agents are like day traders, and we are the commodity. I will say no more, but i'm glad other people are blogging about agents. i agree with almost everything Dean Wesley Smith says in this post, but the one thing I don't understand is how a writer sells to a major publishing house without an agent. He claims anybody can do it, but with a few exceptions major pubs require agented submissions. FYI: I've been without an agent for most of the past six years.

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=8832

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
He has written on the topic of not needing an agent to sell to publishers before. Unless he is lying (and why should he?), he had an agent for 17 years but sold own novels. He has stated many times that he sold his first novel directly to a publisher I don't know the truth of the situation, but having fired my agent (who was pretty useless to be frank), I'm in no hurry to hire another one. If a publisher ever shows up at my door with a six figure offer, I'll reconsider. But since you must imo have a publishing IP attorney, I am not quite sure what an agent brings to the table.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I like that he wasn't vague. Just ... you know ... get a 6-figure offer on the table and then look around for a good agent.

So, you heard him folks! Keep on bein' awesome and get that big offer.

Write, little prawns, write!!!  :D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JRTomlin said:
He has written on the topic of not needing an agent to sell to publishers before. Unless he is lying (and why should he?), he had an agent for 17 years but sold own novels. He has stated many times that he sold his first novel directly to a publisher I don't know the truth of the situation, but having fired my agent (who was pretty useless to be frank), I'm in no hurry to hire another one. If a publisher ever shows up at my door with a six figure offer, I'll reconsider. But since you must imo have a publishing IP attorney, I am not quite sure what an agent brings to the table.
i could say the same thing. i sold my first novel directly to a publisher, but that was 25 freakin' years ago, and i think all publishers accepted unagented submissions back then. i really think agents can often hinder careers, and that's a tragedy.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dalya said:
I like that he wasn't vague. Just ... you know ... get a 6-figure offer on the table and then look around for a good agent.

So, you heard him folks! Keep on bein' awesome and get that big offer.

Write, little prawns, write!!! :D
heh. ;D

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Unsolicited submissions.

The big trick is this:

You go to a con and meet another writer. Writer says "Hey, hallo, this person next to me is my editor from XYZ publishing house." So you talk for a bit, and towards the end of the conversation, you say: "would you mind looking at my urban fantasy were-rabbit story?" And the editor goes "Why not? Send it." They may say no, we're closed to submissions, but in my experience, they usually say yes, because y'know, they *want* to find the next Hunger Games.

Or something vaguely similar happens where you, in person or online, get the chance to personally ask if they'd see your book. If they say yes, it's no longer an unsolicited submission.

This is how they do it.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Or you just ignore the no unagented submissions guidelines and submit.  That's what I used to do. Got plenty of full requests and personal rejections that way without any problems.  I have a feeling if I had kept at it, I'd have sold a novel that way eventually (now I'm not interested unless they come to me, though I do still have two novels on editor's desks, but the editors know that I have self-published those novels).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Dean has said before he just sends the proposals in anyway. That's how he does it. Of course you have to know who the editors are and he's been in the business long enough to know a lot of them. I suspect the editors he's sending them to either know him or know of him.

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Doomed Muse said:
Or you just ignore the no unagented submissions guidelines and submit. That's what I used to do. Got plenty of full requests and personal rejections that way without any problems. I have a feeling if I had kept at it, I'd have sold a novel that way eventually (now I'm not interested unless they come to me, though I do still have two novels on editor's desks, but the editors know that I have self-published those novels).
Yeah, LOL, I wasn't going to say that. Please of tricks there, too. You write a query, asking if it's OK to send your stuff. If they say yes, it's no longer an unsolicited submission either.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I never asked if it was ok. I just sent in the normal sort of submission package: query letter saying what I am offering with a paragraph pitching what the book is about, first chapter or two as a sample, and a two to four page synopsis of the novel.  :)

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Doomed Muse said:
I never asked if it was ok. I just sent in the normal sort of submission package: query letter saying what I am offering with a paragraph pitching what the book is about, first chapter or two as a sample, and a two to four page synopsis of the novel. :)
But not everyone is as ruthless as you ;D ;D ;D

I know plenty of people who have done this with good results. It helps enormously if you're an established writer with some decent credits or track record.

Personally, I have never bothered. By the time I had material to send, I lost interest in chasing publishing deals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts