Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email from my agent today, part of which said:

I'm working with Amazon as a Beta test to get a couple of new services for them up and running and one of those services is scanning for old books.

Obviously, I haven't told her that I've been indie publishing my out-of-print books.

Have any of you heard of this? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Cheryl Bolen said:
I got an email from my agent today, part of which said:

I'm working with Amazon as a Beta test to get a couple of new services for them up and running and one of those services is scanning for old books.

Obviously, I haven't told her that I've been indie publishing my out-of-print books.

Have any of you heard of this? What are your thoughts?
Haven't heard anything about it. But I will say that not telling your agent you've been indie publishing your out of print books sounds like a recipe for problems. If you're publishing them under your own name, I would imagine the agent already knows unless she is not doing her job and staying on top of your presence online.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just wondering... if the rights have been reverted back to the author do you even HAVE to tell your agent? My guess is no, but still I'd be curious to know for certain.

·
Registered
841 Posts
T.K. Richardson said:
Just wondering... if the rights have been reverted back to the author do you even HAVE to tell your agent? My guess is no, but still I'd be curious to know for certain.
Not like you need permission from your agent, regardless. Your agent is your employee, not vice versa.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It probably is a good idea to keep your agent informed, but in a way if she's not representing those particular books... maybe she would want that 15%?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My agent did not represent those out-of-print books.

That's an interesting comment about your agent working with your ebooks, too. How many of you use agents for this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd recommend anyone with an agent read their contract carefully before indie publishing without telling the agent. Cheryl's contract might not require her to pay her agent for books she didn't represent, but there are some scary, crooked contracts out there, especially in recent years, where it can be interpreted that anything you sell, you would have to pay them. I don't know how rare or common it is, though. So just be careful.

Sibel: oh, you know someone is watching the successful indie books closely for Amazon, because they're trying to scoop them all up. But it sounded like Cheryl was saying that the agent is scanning old books...meaning out of print books, I think.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're right, Juliette. The email went on to say some of her clients have very, very old Harlequins that have been scanned and reissued as ebooks. So, yes, she was talking about old print books.

I did come clean with my agent late yesterday, and everything is fine. The out-of-print books I've put up as ebooks are ones that were not agented.

But it's a good point that some agents' contracts may include anything you publish during the period of the contract; so, I urge all of you to be careful with agents' contracts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts