Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any readers of this book care to recommend it/warn me off it?

I like historical fiction. I like Henry V. The reviews on Amazon are generally good. Am awaiting my K2 and looking for stuff to put on it. I'm not sure how this managed to catch my eye but it did, and I thought I'd ask around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Haven't read Cornwell's Agincourt, but I have read some of the Sharpe series.  Pretty good stuff.  I'd recommend the author.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read 8-10 of his novels. Excellent material. What is great is when you get to the end and read the historical note and find out how true his novels are. He takes a lot of fact and weaves in his characters. He's my 2nd favorite, right after Patrick O'Brian.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Meh. I get very tired of the "of course England had the right to conquer all their neighbors" attitude.

·
Registered
87 Posts
JRTomlin said:
Meh. I get very tired of the "of course England had the right to conquer all their neighbors" attitude.
I don't think that was the attitude at all. If anything, it was a commentary on what one perceived as Divine Providence (Henry) while the main character questioned that very logic and served as the grounded personality.

I'm also not a Cornwell apologist but he has on frequent occasion showed what it is to be a conquered England (the Arthur series and his Saxon series) and a defeated England (Redcoat).

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I second the mention of his Arthurian/grail trilogy.  Agincourt has a lot of battle in it and (as is often the case with Cornwell) his female characters tend to be rather flat and overly compliant.  I read it an enjoyed it, but he's written better.

I love Kenneth Branagh's rendition of Henry V. . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts