Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off tomorrow for a quick trip to Chicago / Springfield. I'm on American, which is an airline I rarely use.

Normally I'm on United or Alaska.

Little-known fact: United is an acronym for U're Not Intending To Eat Dinner?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Have fun. 

If you get the chance hit the Lincoln Museum.  They opened it right before I left.  It's well worth the time. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
have fun and take a book light (if you plan on reading)... i was one a turbo-prop for a short jump... and they did not have the overhead reading light. I was not amused when coming home on them in the dark.

I have never flown United - are they decent? They are slightly cheaper than Frontier for an upcoming trip of mine, but not sure i want to try them (I love Frontier).
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've flown United several times.  Lousy food, but no worries.  EXCEPT........ they frequently overbook flights.  Hope that they do.  And if they ask you if you mind getting bumped, jump on it.  Not only will they put you up in a hotel for the night until the next day, but you'll get a free round-trip voucher for any future flight you want to take.

(Or was that American....? ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sebat said:
Have fun.

If you get the chance hit the Lincoln Museum. They opened it right before I left. It's well worth the time.
I would love to do that - my trip this week won't allow for it but hopefully there'll be another soon.

My one and only previous to Springfield, I did in fact go to the Lincoln gravesite. It's extremely reverent and so respectfully done. Words from his great speeches are on the inner wall of a circular hallway, and at the end of the path is his casket. I was really impressed by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bacardi Jim said:
I've flown United several times. Lousy food, but no worries. EXCEPT........ they frequently overbook flights. Hope that they do. And if they ask you if you mind getting bumped, jump on it. Not only will they put you up in a hotel for the night until the next day, but you'll get a free round-trip voucher for any future flight you want to take.

(Or was that American....? ;) )
I was making frequent trips to Reno via San Francisco and Seattle a few years ago, and it seemed about half of the time the United flight from SFO to RNO was overbooked. I scored three or four free round-trips during that period.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking it was United.  Not a bad deal, other than the wait and being crowded into an equally overbooked hotel. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Harvey said:
I would love to do that - my trip this week won't allow for it but hopefully there'll be another soon.

My one and only previous to Springfield, I did in fact go to the Lincoln gravesite. It's extremely reverent and so respectfully done. Words from his great speeches are on the inner wall of a circular hallway, and at the end of the path is his casket. I was really impressed by it.
Oh well, maybe next time.

The Lincoln sights were the best part of living in Springfield. The tomb is beautiful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
I fly at least twice a month and my husband even more...The only airline that is almost always on time, and has friendly employees is Southwest.  The worst is US Air, followed by United and American. 
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
I have always been partial to Delta, but I am not traveling as much these days so who knows, maybe they've gone downhill. Especially now with the merger with Northwest  :mad:

When I was in Europe in September, I flew several times on Lufthansa. Oh my God, it was like the old days! Polite, friendly, they fed us...it made me realize how much the US airline industry has gone down the drain.

L

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Cowgirl said:
I fly at least twice a month and my husband even more...The only airline that is almost always on time, and has friendly employees is Southwest. The worst is US Air, followed by United and American.
I flew US Air last month and not only are they charging a bazzillion dollars to check your luggage....they are actually charging for WATER if you want a drink during the flight!!! I was stunned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
I flew US Air last month and not only are they charging a bazzillion dollars to check your luggage....they are actually charging for WATER if you want a drink during the flight!!! I was stunned.
The charging for everything really makes me mad.

I've never developed any airline loyalty. I use to be partial to whatever airline gave me the best price. Now you have to check on the hidden fee, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I fly American all the time.  I can't complain about them, they get you there and that is the whole point.  I may be prejudiced since I'm Platinum level and get early boarding.  Frankly I'd quit flying if I had to take United, the few times I have it was not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
I don't remember all the flying experiences my family has had over the years, but I remember this: I do prefer flying with JAL (japanese airline) or Korea, but the flights are limited inside the US. (my family flies with them when we travel between LV/hawaii/japan) Southwest is okay, but I've only took quick one hour flights with them. I have taken extra luggage with me on the plane and it only costed me twenty-five bucks, which I hear isn't all that bad. (its was cheaper than sending all my stuff to the college.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Living in NE Houston and only 10 miles from Bush, we always flew Continental. Now that we are in the piney woods of East Texas and have a small airport, it is Ameriacan Express or nothing!  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
The last time I flew American (appreciate the extra leg room -- I'm 6' tall) was October '01.  On the Chicago - Orlando flight, I got bumped up from coach to first class.  :)  Can't complain about that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,250 Posts
Geemont said:
I'm on a business trip next week, Seattle to Washington DC (Dulles) , on United. 4 hours and 47 minutes. At least I'll have my Kindle.
Whatcha comin' here for? We should SERIOUSLY have a DC area Kindlers Klub

ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Geemont said:
I'm on a business trip next week, Seattle to Washington DC (Dulles) , on United. 4 hours and 47 minutes. At least I'll have my Kindle.
4.75 hrs does not seem long enough for that distance. Have you factored in time change?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Harvey said:
I'm off tomorrow for a quick trip to Chicago / Springfield. I'm on American, which is an airline I rarely use.

Normally I'm on United or Alaska.

Little-known fact: United is an acronym for U're Not Intending To Eat Dinner?!
Harvey - I hope you have a successful trip. We will try to behave while you are gone.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top