Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw that half-a-dozen of Terhune's books are in the Kindle store for free (public domain). They include his most famous dog novels and a mystery. They were written around the 1920-1930 era and were extremely popular in the day.

Sappy, sentimental, and mostly unrealistic canine behavior (IIRC), but good, clean family stories well told. I read them all as a teen-ager and liked them very much. We'll see if they hold up now that I'm a real old guy.  ;D

I also got the mystery. I didn't know he wrote any mysteries, but I saw some good reviews, so I'll give it a try.

There are reports of a few minor typos.

Mike

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I think I discovered that when there was a discussion of dog books here.  I picked up a couple of them then...I'll have to go look again.

I agree, I loved them as a young teen.

Betsy

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also saw that many of Walter Farley's Black Stallion and Island Stallion books are enKindled now, also. They're all in the $6 to $7 range, so I think it's a fair deal for those books. Not something I'd be interested in now, though.

Mike

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't think $6 and $7 is appealing for books that are more than 20 years old - or 10 years old for that matter. The discussions of the John D. MacDonald Kindle releases surprised me for that reason. I wouldn't pay that for Terhune or Farley for nostalgic reasons, and I loved them both years ago. I will pick up the Terhunes for old times' sake, and if they weren't public domain and were a dollar or two would pay that for them, but the same cost as a new release? Uh uh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts