Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try several methods of converting text and other non-kindle type formats to the Kindle to see how easy it is and all I can say is Wow.
I used Calibre, which is very straightforward and worked well but I decided to try the @free.kindle.com and it was incredibly easy and fast.

For those that haven't tried it it literally took less than a minute for the 2 txt files I sent to come back converted from Amazon. I liked Calibre but it is so quick and easy to use the free.kindle.com, that I can't see a reason to use any other.

Amazon amazes more and more with their customer service and the services they provide for Kindle users. I was showing off my Kindle at work and people were amazed that Amazon isn't charging for web access. Its very basic web access but it works in a pinch and allows me to check emails, the weather, the headlines, etc while on the road.
People were impressed at the extras I get (web access, Text to speech, etc) for the Kindle and when I told them that I get free books as well if I take the time to hunt them down, they were sold on it.
I think I have at least 3 new converts to the Kindle way.

I had on coworker complaining about how many normal books she could buy at Costco for what I paid for the Kindle and that its a waste of money, if I was a different person, I could have pointed out that all the money she spends on cigarettes is a waste in my opinion but I kept my mouth shut in the interest of peace. To each his own.

Anyways, if you haven't tried free.kindle.com to convert files, I recommend it.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have not used the free.kindle.com before. I was curious to if it worked the same as sending it to [email protected] I have used that a few times and liked it alot. The converted text was back within a few minutes but then they started charging for it (still not expensive) but I have thought a few times I should try the free.kindle.com to see how it works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to work the same way with the exception of you  having to use the USB cord to transfer the book rather than using Whispernet. Its as fast and easy to use, just a few extra steps.
$0.15 doesn't sound like alot but it can add up and I would rather just use the usb to transfer than pay the cost of Whispernetting it.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Jeansaint said:
I had on coworker complaining about how many normal books she could buy at Costco for what I paid for the Kindle and that its a waste of money, if I was a different person, I could have pointed out that all the money she spends on cigarettes is a waste in my opinion but I kept my mouth shut in the interest of peace. To each his own.
I am proud of you Jeansaint :) don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut.

And after she buys the books, she has to lug them around.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Jeansaint said:
I decided to try several methods of converting text and other non-kindle type formats to the Kindle to see how easy it is and all I can say is Wow.
I used Calibre, which is very straightforward and worked well but I decided to try the @free.kindle.com and it was incredibly easy and fast.

For those that haven't tried it it literally took less than a minute for the 2 txt files I sent to come back converted from Amazon. I liked Calibre but it is so quick and easy to use the free.kindle.com, that I can't see a reason to use any other.

Amazon amazes more and more with their customer service and the services they provide for Kindle users. I was showing off my Kindle at work and people were amazed that Amazon isn't charging for web access. Its very basic web access but it works in a pinch and allows me to check emails, the weather, the headlines, etc while on the road.
People were impressed at the extras I get (web access, Text to speech, etc) for the Kindle and when I told them that I get free books as well if I take the time to hunt them down, they were sold on it.
I think I have at least 3 new converts to the Kindle way.

T

This should be a testimonia on Amazon front page ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
As a newbie, please enlighten me on how to do this, and the whole address to send it to.
Do you email it to them or what?

TIA for any assistance that you can provide......

·
Registered
71 Posts
*Flower* said:
As a newbie, please enlighten me on how to do this, and the whole address to send it to.
Do you email it to them or what?

TIA for any assistance that you can provide......
*Flower*
From your computer attach the file you want to convert to an email. Instead of sending the email to your Kindle's email address ([email protected]), send the email to [email protected] Of course you can only convert supported files like .pdf, .doc, .jpg. The full list is in the user guide. Within a few minutes you will receive and email from Amazon. It will contain a link for you to click. When you click the link you will be given the option to Save the file. Choose Save and put the file where you want on your computer. Then upload the file from your computer to your Kindle using the USB connection.

Van...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, what they said  :)

Very easy to use and very fast to get the converted file back. I have sent a total of 5 files and all were sent back in less than a minute, converted and ready to go.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have used the free.kindle several times, the only thing that bugs me is the "authors" name is my e-mail address, but that is such a little bug I have not quit using the service.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tried the free conversion on Friday for the first time, and I couldn't get the conversion to show up on my K2.  It was a book in .pdf format.  I wondered when the file came back as title.pdf.azw, but I gather that is the usual file name.  I know Amazon was having conversion issues at some point.  Should I try again or did I miss some important step?  I've loaded text files from Gutenberg without any problems, so I would think I understand the process.

thanks,
Kathleen

·
Registered
71 Posts
khrunner said:
I tried the free conversion on Friday for the first time, and I couldn't get the conversion to show up on my K2. It was a book in .pdf format. I wondered when the file came back as title.pdf.azw, but I gather that is the usual file name. I know Amazon was having conversion issues at some point. Should I try again or did I miss some important step? I've loaded text files from Gutenberg without any problems, so I would think I understand the process.

thanks,
Kathleen
Kathleen,
I would give it another try. After reading your message, I converted a book in pdf format. As you pointed out, it came back as pdf.azw. I uploaded it to my Kindle 2 and it looks like it did several months ago when I did the same conversion--that is, very readable but not perfect. Just about what I've come to expect with the pdf conversion. The book name on my home screen is the filename.pdf and, of course, the "author" is my email address.
Van...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Jeansaint said:
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well that's strange... Maybe certain .txt files need to be converted... All the .txt files I have I just transfered to the Kindle... I didn't need to convert them...

For those that haven't tried it it literally took less than a minute for the 2 txt files I sent to come back converted from Amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts